Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Trailer weight-distribution...

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Trailer weight-distribution...

Postby Itsallaguess » June 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm

Video showing the importance of trailer weight-distribution -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW_gzdh6to

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Trailer weight-distribution...

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2020, 1:58 pm

That takes me back a bit. Travelling south on the Fosseway in Gloucestershire, which can be an evil road because it twists and corkscrews like a roman road really shouldn't. ;) Steep hills, reverse cambers and all. And we were stuck in a slow-moving queue which was headed by one of the longest twin-axle film-star caravans I ever saw. Or, more to the point, by the Toyota Celica sports coupe that was trying to tow it.

"Trying" being the operative word. 1,000 kg of car and at least 2,000 kg of caravan. Going into the bends, the van was steering the car, not vice versa. Eventually the driver pulled over to give his shattered nerves a rest. His ashy white face was something I shall never forget. This doesn't happen in the adverts, he seemed to be saying....... :lol:

BJ

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 17th, 2020, 2:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:That takes me back a bit. Travelling south on the Fosseway in Gloucestershire, which can be an evil road because it twists and corkscrews like a roman road really shouldn't. ;) Steep hills, reverse cambers and all. And we were stuck in a slow-moving queue which was headed by one of the longest twin-axle film-star caravans I ever saw. Or, more to the point, by the Toyota Celica sports coupe that was trying to tow it.

"Trying" being the operative word. 1,000 kg of car and at least 2,000 kg of caravan. Going into the bends, the van was steering the car, not vice versa. Eventually the driver pulled over to give his shattered nerves a rest. His ashy white face was something I shall never forget. This doesn't happen in the adverts, he seemed to be saying....... :lol:

BJ

Probably a better choice of towcar than a Renault 5, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPnwi0nb2Q

Watis

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 17th, 2020, 3:19 pm

surely that ratio would have been illegal ?

the towcar must be heavier than the trailer - cant remember the maximum ratio allowed.

:roll: :roll:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2020, 3:30 pm

jackdaww wrote:surely that ratio would have been illegal ?

Yep. To put it mildly. Suicidal also. If not, indeed, murderous?

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”