Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tempting ...

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tempting ...

Postby Clitheroekid » June 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:It’s a lovely looking car but £200k?

If you’re gonna pose, you might as well buy a brand new Ferrari for that money.

I’d think the typical buyer for an E-type like this is very different from the buyer of a new Ferrari.

Although many Ferraris are no doubt bought by genuine enthusiasts many more are bought by people who just want to show off.

Their design compliments that desire - they are mostly quite dramatic looking and shout “look at me”. Whilst they invoke envy they also attract a lot of negativity from people who resent the conspicuous display of wealth.

So even if you’re a genuine enthusiast you need a fairly ’robust’ personality not to care about the image you’re portraying.

The E-type and similar classics are far more restrained, and although they certainly draw a lot of attention it tends to be far more appreciative - possibly helped by the fact that most people have no idea how valuable they are.

But unless bought purely as an investment I would think that people who own cars like the E-type would have to be real car enthusiasts, as there would otherwise be no explanation for paying £200k for a car that’s 60 years out of date, and in performance terms could easily be trounced by a Golf GTI!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tempting ...

Postby Breelander » June 20th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:...unless bought purely as an investment I would think that people who own cars like the E-type would have to be real car enthusiasts, as there would otherwise be no explanation for paying £200k for a car that’s 60 years out of date, and in performance terms could easily be trounced by a Golf GTI!

Not if you buy the E-Type Reborn direct from Jaguar....

There’s an important difference. A restomod is a classic car blessed with modern engineering; better to drive than the original ever was but ideologically and mechanically a hybrid. A continuation is a brand new car built to the original specification. And a Reborn Jaguar ... is an old E-Type so perfectly and accurately restored that, for a few subtle and invisible tweaks, it might have just landed from 1965.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... rn-e-type/

Go on, treat yourself. You know you want one. A bargain at £295,000. :twisted:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”