Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

KISS?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

KISS?

Postby DrFfybes » August 6th, 2020, 1:27 pm

There is an old design adage - KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I've often thought that the multifunction screens in modern cars are far from simple and easy to use as you jiggle over todays roads trying to hit the correct icon, in hire cars I don't even bother trying to use them. The one in our Avensis is far from intuitive, and even with the manual to hand takes some learning. Even turning the bloody thing off requires going into a menu and sub menu and last week I stopped in a layby as it went dark so I could work out how to set it to dim.

However at least the major controls on the car are button activated, unlike some cars. And now it seems that in Germany at least they are taking a dim view of in car touchscreen use...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53666222

I suspect our laws are not so tightly written.
Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: KISS?

Postby 88V8 » August 6th, 2020, 8:32 pm

All controls should be operable without looking, in the dark.

As is the case with our three cars. But none of them were designed by yoof.
The newest is thirty years old, and as far as I'm concerned it's the newest I shall ever own.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: KISS?

Postby bungeejumper » August 7th, 2020, 10:41 am

If there's one additional switch I'd like tohave on my car, it would be the one that turned off the steering wheel controls. Dammit, how often I seem to accidentally change the radio waveband, or bugger up the economy readout, or turn on the traffic warnings or the cruise control while I'm focusing on steering the bloody car. :lol:

We've had this discussion before, and I was told in no uncertain terms to get with it and damn well learn my steering wheel controls, because they were what kept the reps and the road warriors sane during long journeys. But as far as I know, only one of the seventeen buttons on my steering wheel is there to do a job that can't be replicated elsewhere.

And that's the horn, and I haven't used it in years. :|

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”