Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Insurance - again

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Insurance - again

Postby DrFfybes » November 23rd, 2020, 5:48 pm

A few months back we bought an Avensis, and just for ease I added it to the remaining 4 months of the Maserati policy for about £80, turning it into a multicar policy and figuring it seemed easier and cheapper than taking out yeat another policy.

Come renewal the quote was £534, about £80 more than last year (or what they say it would have been for a full year). Oddly this was made up of £214 for the Maserati and £320 for the Avensis.

So I start looking for seperate policies. I have 25 years NCD on one, but the renewal for the Avensis said 1 year, so that is what I put down. For the Maserati I got quotes as low as £184 (but another £30 to protect the NCD rather than £3.60 from Admiral) and ignoring the ones that dropped EU cover to 3rd party only most were around £214 which was Admiral's price.The Avensis was £240-260, so there was some way to go. Oddly swapping the max NCD to the Avensis made little difference to the total, meaning the base premiums were similar for both vehicles!

The other quotes were based on no longer needing business use on either, and no longer commuting in the Maserati, and now we are moved more or less the annual mileage for the Avensis came down from 12k to 9k.

So, on the phone to Admiral, 'can I seperate the policies'? "Oh yes" he said (but not in the dog voice). First the Avensis, the mileage redused it by £20, then removing business use another £20, then he had a discretionary loyalty reduction bringing it to £260. Then he removed business and commuting from the Maserati and it came down to £200.

At this point I was going to stay with them, more for saving the hassle although generally I switch out of principle (and for the meerkat toy). However he then said "That's odd, if I now combine them onto a multicar again it reduces both", bringing it down to £183 and £235.

So, 20 mins on the phone, a couple of tweaks to the paperwork, and £116.48 better off. Now I know how a solicitor feels ;)

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”