Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

DAB logos

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

DAB logos

Postby swill453 » April 21st, 2021, 11:51 am

I've got a DAB radio in my 5 year old VW car. If I have presets for BBC radio stations, the "buttons" on the screen, about 2cm x 2cm, have the stations' logos.

However some stations don't have logos and I just get a black square with the station name. These are typically (but not always) newer stations like Scala radio.

Shouldn't the logos somehow download into the unit automatically over the airwaves from the station itself? Plenty other information comes that way, such as text of what track is playing etc.

If I google for it, I get a page that tells me how to download a zip file of logos and load individual presets from an SD card, which sounds like a complete faff https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... es/sat-nav

Isn't it done better than this?

Scott.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: DAB logos

Postby Breelander » April 21st, 2021, 2:34 pm

swill453 wrote:...Shouldn't the logos somehow download into the unit automatically over the airwaves from the station itself? ....

If I google for it, I get a page that tells me how to download a zip file of logos and load individual presets from an SD card, which sounds like a complete faff https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... es/sat-nav

Isn't it done better than this?

I'm afraid not. The logos are not provided by the stations over air, they are a bespoke VW feature and updates can only be obtained from VW.

The process doesn't look too much of a 'faff'. The zip file you download contains .png images for every current GB DAB station, local and national (I've just downloaded it to have a look). Just copy the ones you want from the .zip file to an SD card, then connect the SD card to your radio and import them.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 21st, 2021, 6:41 pm

DAB signals in the UK are universally terrible sound quality anyway, I don't have to download anything on my Roberts radio and it still works fine. :D

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 21st, 2021, 8:37 pm

Lanark wrote:DAB signals in the UK are universally terrible sound quality anyway, I don't have to download anything on my Roberts radio and it still works fine. :D

really? we have several dab radios around the house and the quality is excellent.

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 21st, 2021, 9:02 pm

Breelander wrote:The process doesn't look too much of a 'faff'. The zip file you download contains .png images for every current GB DAB station, local and national (I've just downloaded it to have a look). Just copy the ones you want from the .zip file to an SD card, then connect the SD card to your radio and import them.

Well yes, I can do that right now for the stations I've got tuned in at the moment. But if in the future I tune into a new station and want its logo, I have to go through the process again. A bit faffy.

Scott.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”