Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Music in-car

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Music in-car

Postby brightncheerful » May 15th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Currently I have a CD player with 6 cd auto changer in my Audi. Bosch system. 450W output. (The auto changer is not as good as in my previous Audi because it doesn't automatically load the next cd but smerely goes back to the beginning of the cd that's playing. )

Anyhow, in the Skoda Octavia Estate I'm getting next week, there's no cd, only SD (and not Bosch) and USB-C connectors.

I don't have any experience of using SD or USB for playing music. I think i know how to transfer tracks from a cd to sd and that's to copy and paste direct, or burn (is that the right word?). I only have an iMac. I have an iphone7 if that helps. And an iPad Pro.

Also what capacity sd card should I get, what brand is best for quality, and what is the best format. I'm not interested in the art work or anything like that. And come to think of it I mostly only listen to one or two tracks over and over (for example, Eric Clapton's Little Wing, Voodo Chile) so really I'm not wanting to transfer thousands of songs, probably no more than about 50 favourites.

tia
Bnc

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: Music in-car

Postby Midsmartin » May 15th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Any usb stick to can buy will be more than big enough.
Even an 8GB one will hold of the order of 100 CDs of music.

It doesn't matter what brand or anything you use, as you will not be taxing the system much.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 15th, 2021, 10:30 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Anyhow, in the Skoda Octavia Estate I'm getting next week, there's no cd, only SD (and not Bosch) and USB-C connectors.

Assuming the car comes with Apple CarPlay (which it should), you could just connect your phone and play/stream from there.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » May 15th, 2021, 10:40 pm

If you go for a USB memory stick, as I did, then consider a physically smallish one like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Y149DL/ ... UTF8&psc=1

My USB connection was over a useful storage area, and a conventional memory stick would inevitably have got knocked at some point and probably damaged either the stick or the connector.

The one I bought holds all my music and is barely visible, and certainly isn't vulnerable to damage.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » May 16th, 2021, 12:23 am

AF62 wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:Anyhow, in the Skoda Octavia Estate I'm getting next week, there's no cd, only SD (and not Bosch) and USB-C connectors.

Assuming the car comes with Apple CarPlay (which it should), you could just connect your phone and play/stream from there.

My older Prius does not have CarPlay but I can still play audio from a phone, using the bluetooth pairing. I can't control the play list using the car's controls. I have to set up the playlist before driving, or pull over every so often.

Not sure what else CarPlay brings to the table. Knowing Apple it probably selects things I must like based on no reason at all and won't let me shut them up.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 16th, 2021, 6:31 am

9873210 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

My older Prius does not have CarPlay but I can still play audio from a phone, using the bluetooth pairing. I can't control the play list using the car's controls. I have to set up the playlist before driving, or pull over every so often.

Not sure what else CarPlay brings to the table. Knowing Apple it probably selects things I must like based on no reason at all and won't let me shut them up.

I said Apple CarPlay as brightncheerful mentioned they had an iPhone, but a similar system is available for Android called Android Auto and if a car's entertainment system supports one it usually supports both these days.

When you connect your phone to the car by cable (wireless connections are starting to appear), Apple CarPlay and Android Auto replaces the car's navigation / audio display with an Apple CarPlay or Android Auto screen (both look very similar - big buttons to easily select whilst driving).

You can then use compatible apps from your phone on the car's display screen and controlled by the car's controls on the device and steering wheel, and using the car's speakers and microphone. The systems don't support/offer all apps on your phone - why would you want / need to use a calculator whilst driving or look at photos, etc. but those music, navigation, and messaging apps that you might are available (the messaging apps don't display a message when they arrive but you can choose for the message to be read out to you - or you can set your phone to automatically send a "sorry, can't respond as I am driving" message).

Thus if you want to listen to Spotify you can, or you can listen to podcasts, or you could listen to audiobooks, or you could use a different navigation app such as Google Maps or Waze. Also if your car has a voice controlled system, for example for the phone or navigation, instead of using that then the system will use Siri or Google Assistant which generally work far better.

Sure there is some hassle plugging your phone in, but it then overcomes the issues you have (not being able to control what you are listening to) and you can then use your preferred navigation app which is usually better, more up to date and has more information on traffic than the system installed in the car.

And if you want to "shut it up" and go back to the car's own system, then as shown in the photo above you press the 'main menu' button and you are back to using the car's inbuilt systems.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”