Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scooterbrained

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Scooterbrained

Postby bungeejumper » May 28th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Here's an idea for the bank holiday weekend. Come down to sunny Bath and try out the experimental e-scooter hire scheme that's just been introduced for the city. (https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/20 ... l-and-bath).

Forget about the boring safety helmets that they urge you to wear, because apparently they're not compulsory. And then head out of town to a place called Brassknocker Hill, which has a one in seven gradient with stacked hairpins all the way down. And fling your mighty steed into the first corner at significantly more than the 12.5 mph that it's supposed to do on the flat. And don't let anybody tell you that you need to brake, because you probably don't know where the brakes are anyway. (It's a rented machine, right?) Hell, you have a pair of five inch wheels borrowed from a baby buggy, and a big fat one inch tyre. Take that, Easy Rider. :twisted:

Then discover that some of these bends have a reverse camber, and that you are going to die if you don't reinvent the gyroscope principle pretty damn sharpish, because that centrifugal stuff doesn't always do what they taught you in school. And then open your eyes wide and scream as Bungee comes up the hill toward you in second gear, not expecting to find you halfway across his side of the road and wishing that you'd written your will before you embarked on this exciting adventure.

I missed him somehow. FFS, there's no cure for stupidity. Thank god for my dashcam. It might have come in handy. :|

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Scooterbrained

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 28th, 2021, 6:59 pm

I do think those e-scooters are cool. I want one!
Some of the local young rascals have them and ride them on the road/pavement completely illegally. They can get up to a fair old speed and seem to handle the hills OK
I did see three lads on one scooter the other day, heading off towards Reading (no surprises) One of them was probably about 10 but even so, it was still trundling along at a reasonable speed on the flat

I may buy one for checking the perimeter of my estate when I retire. More fun than a Sinclair C5

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 28th, 2021, 8:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:there's no cure for stupidity.

Darwinism doesn't always work!

Julian F. G. W.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Yep, look at Prime Ministers...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 29th, 2021, 10:16 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I may buy one for checking the perimeter of my estate when I retire. More fun than a Sinclair C5

That's what my parents' near-neighbour Ozzy Osbourne said about his quad bike. :(

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 29th, 2021, 12:42 pm

My Spanish colleague's girlfriend (lovely woman) was a nurse at Wexham Park hospital, and ended up looking after Mr Osbourne following his little mishap
He did live up in the Chalfonts - but didn't suffer from them as far as I know.
A daily suppository sorts them out anyway

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » June 1st, 2021, 5:29 pm

Having experienced the tender care of Wexham Park, I'm surprised that Ozzy survived his post tumble care! Tough old bird!

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » June 1st, 2021, 5:31 pm

Having experienced the tender care of Wexham Park, I'm surprised that Ozzy survived his post tumble care! Tough old bird!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 4th, 2021, 8:14 pm

airbus330 wrote:Having experienced the tender care of Wexham Park, I'm surprised that Ozzy survived his post tumble care! Tough old bird!

Yes, I've only ever accompanied an injured friend to the place - nothing about it made me want to stay any longer than necessary. Although hospitals in general are, inevitably, a bit grim. Thankfully I escaped Slough eventually so my local big hossy is the Royal Berkshire. The Duchess of Cambridge was born there , so it must be OK !

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » June 4th, 2021, 11:24 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Having experienced the tender care of Wexham Park, I'm surprised that Ozzy survived his post tumble care! Tough old bird!

Yes, I've only ever accompanied an injured friend to the place - nothing about it made me want to stay any longer than necessary. Although hospitals in general are, inevitably, a bit grim. Thankfully I escaped Slough eventually so my local big hossy is the Royal Berkshire. The Duchess of Cambridge was born there , so it must be OK !

Yeah, the Wexham Park registrar did her best to nearly kill my baby daughter and only some quick thinking by a junior nurse saved the day. A never to be forgotten day out that was!
Don't get to complacent down at the Royal Berks, they actually did kill my girlfriends flatemate after giving her the wrong anesthetic! Fortunately, being on the operating table at the time she can't remember the several minutes she was officially dead, but at least successfully sued the b'tards afterwards. This was all back in the 90's, so maybe things have got better.
(Falls on the floor laughing)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 4th, 2021, 11:35 pm

The one and only time I've been wheeled into theatre (for a very minor op) they were, thankfully, very careful to ask me what I was in for.
TONSILS NOT TESTICLES - get it right please
That was a hospital in Wolverhampton in a really rough area - since demolished
[edit: actually New Cross, the remaining one, is in an even rougher area]

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 5th, 2021, 2:54 pm

I hope they're able to come up with an improved method of impounding these things, mind....

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/19352261.police-seize-e-scooter-hereford-warn-riders/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 5th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I hope they're able to come up with an improved method of impounding these things, mind....

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/19352261.police-seize-e-scooter-hereford-warn-riders/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I reckon that's a staged photo as the scooter isn't tied on and would have fallen off the lorry when driven...

But an interesting point in the article. The Herefordshire police claim they are illegal to use on the public road or path unless registered, taxed and insured and the rider needs a driving licence.

As they can't be registered and taxed, they simply cannot be used in public places. How do these scooters differ from the electric bikes loads of people are buying, I'm wondering. Surely they too need to be taxed, insured and the rider licenced.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » June 5th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Mike4 wrote:But an interesting point in the article. The Herefordshire police claim they are illegal to use on the public road or path unless registered, taxed and insured and the rider needs a driving licence.

If you want to know the time ask a policeman.

Although I don't think even that works anymore.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » June 5th, 2021, 10:02 pm

9873210 wrote:If you want to know the time ask a policeman.

Although I don't think even that works anymore.

"Excuse me constable, do you have the time?"
"Certainly sir. Your place or mine?"

doolally

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 6th, 2021, 9:24 am

Mike4 wrote:But an interesting point in the article. The Herefordshire police claim they are illegal to use on the public road or path unless registered, taxed and insured and the rider needs a driving licence.

As they can't be registered and taxed, they simply cannot be used in public places.

If it helps, those places which have introduced trial schemes (like Bath or Birmingham) include tax, insurance and registration in the overall rental fee, which is usually about 20p a minute plus £1 to unlock. The plod really do seem to be using the lack of tax on privately-owned scooters as a reason for confiscation and destruction - rather than the lack of driving licence or insurance, which is surely a more pressing issue really?

How do these scooters differ from the electric bikes loads of people are buying, I'm wondering. Surely they too need to be taxed, insured and the rider licenced.

I don't think the e-bikes need any of that, which is partially logical since you only need to be fourteen to ride one. :) But the lack of a helmet requirement is crazy.

What makes them different? Just the pedals. https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 16th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Liverpool... two men have been banned from driving after riding erratically on e-scooters while also over the alcohol limit.
They were seen zigzagging across Smithdown Road, Liverpool after riding on the wrong side, police said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-57499839

There's a lot of it about.

V8

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”