Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Skoda Octavia software update

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Skoda Octavia software update

Postby brightncheerful » June 7th, 2021, 9:59 am

The satnav doesn't save some settings that are obviously meant to be saved. I gathered there was a software update in May 2021. Would you think a pre-delivery check should include updating the software if update available the time.

Also, it is a norm that an update has to be done by a dealership? Surely via the internet (wifi) it's possible for the car owner to do the update, same as a TV or computer operating system?

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Re: Skoda Octavia software update

Postby RedSnapper » June 7th, 2021, 10:34 am

Try here to see what updates are available. You can also download and install yourself... https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 7th, 2021, 7:13 pm

RedSnapper wrote:Try here to see what updates are available. You can also download and install yourself... https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

Having always bought older simple cars, it never occurred to me to go to the manufacturer website for stuff for the new one

10 min with the V5 on the Toyota site and I've managed to download the full main dealer service history (the book was missing), find the correct manuals, update the satnav, and find some nifty software to plan a journey that is then sent to the car's satnav to save faffing with the rather poor interface.

:)

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 7th, 2021, 9:38 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Would you think a pre-delivery check should include updating the software if update available the time.

I would have expected it, but having taken delivery of a pre-registered car a month or so ago I now know my expectations were hopelessly optimistic after the car has had to go into the nearby dealer (not the supplying dealer which is the other end of the country) to have two different sets of software updated and the rear tailgate welded for a known fault which affected all those manufactured during a certain period.

Not only did the supplying dealer not do any of those updates and fixes as part of the PDI, they couldn't even be bothered to check the tyre pressures were correct - fortunately the car was delivered by truck.

brightncheerful wrote:Also, it is a norm that an update has to be done by a dealership? Surely via the internet (wifi) it's possible for the car owner to do the update, same as a TV or computer operating system?

Depends.

For maps it has been usual for a few years to be be able to update the map files yourself by downloading them to a USB stick.

My new car does updates to the navigation / multi-media entertainment system over the air via the built in sim card. However updates to the software more fundamental to the car's operation need it to be plugged into the dealer's system - the updates I needed them to do related to the battery management system (it is an EV).

On my other car, I wanted to update the navigation system to use Apple CarPlay. This didn't come as an option and isn't offered as an upgrade so even if I took it to a dealer there is nothing they could or would do. However some enterprising people have taken software from later versions of the car and 'adapted' it to work on the earlier versions. Getting it installed was 'interesting', and involved putting the car into an 'admin' mode for it to be able to take the update and then holding your breath whilst you hoped that you don't brick the system - fortunately all worked.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 8th, 2021, 12:18 am

brightncheerful wrote:I gathered there was a software update in May 2021. Would you think a pre-delivery check should include updating the software if update available the time.

A pre-delivery check traditionally involved checking the wheel nuts were tight and there was oil in the engine, IIRC.

I'd say today there is an almost inexhaustible list of stuff the garage *could* check on a modern car. A techy could spend a whole day pre delivery checking stuff on a pre-registered car and still not cover it all. Where would you draw the line?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 8th, 2021, 7:34 am

Mike4 wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:I gathered there was a software update in May 2021. Would you think a pre-delivery check should include updating the software if update available the time.

A pre-delivery check traditionally involved checking the wheel nuts were tight and there was oil in the engine, IIRC.

I'd say today there is an almost inexhaustible list of stuff the garage *could* check on a modern car. A techy could spend a whole day pre delivery checking stuff on a pre-registered car and still not cover it all. Where would you draw the line?

Assuming the car being supplied is that dealer's brand (i.e. a VAG dealer selling a VAG car, a Ford dealer selling a Ford car, etc) then I would say 'inside the line' was taking a minute to plug the car into their system connected to the manufacturers database and printing a report to see if the car has received all the software updates, fixes for known faults, and service history. As previously mentioned, the manufacturers connected system keeps details of everything that has (and has not) been done to the car in their dealer network.

Of course that means that as a result of spending that one minute they might then have to spend a whole day doing those software updates or fixing those known faults, or performing the service which is due, rather than handing the car over unchecked and keeping their fingers crossed that the customer doesn't notice and never returns and asks them to do the work.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 8th, 2021, 9:19 am

Mike4 wrote:

(Four Yorkshiremen mode) You were lucky. My Rover 200 series (the original Honda-styled one) came with eleven bolts missing from the main front cross-member. (That's the bit that holds the front of the car together. :lol: ) I took it back to the dealer with eighteen faults in all. They didn't turn a hair. Probably it happened all the time, but few owners ever noticed it. :?

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 8th, 2021, 9:47 am

bungeejumper wrote:(Four Yorkshiremen mode) You were lucky. My Rover 200 series (the original Honda-styled one) came with eleven bolts missing from the main front cross-member. (That's the bit that holds the front of the car together. :lol: ) I took it back to the dealer with eighteen faults in all. They didn't turn a hair. Probably it happened all the time, but few owners ever noticed it. :?

BJ

You were LUCKY!

My Reliant Robin only came with 3 wheels.

And one of those was the spare.

Paul

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 8th, 2021, 10:47 am

RedSnapper wrote:Try here to see what updates are available. You can also download and install yourself... https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

Thanks for that. I watched the video and heard "We wish you many amazing journeys…". En-route to a vaccine centre in the county city, the route I took had a road closure so I must say it was very helpful to rely on the satnav to get me there. I knew the whereabouts but not how to get there from a different direction. The last time i was at the building was some 25 years ago when the occupier had instructed me to provide some advice on the rent; the building now is shabby, weeds growing out of the cracked masonry.

On the way home from the vaccine centre, the route I know differed from the satnav's route. (To be fair, there are several routes). Satvav, encouraging me to turn left every few yards or right every so often and culminating in u-turn, finally adjusted to my perseverance only to get its own back whilst I was driving along the main road, speed limit 60mph, by displaying on the heads-up a road speed limit 10mph which was on a slip road to a factory.

I have contacted another Skoda dealer to ask if they would give (I pay) me a session in my car, going through all the user tech, etc so that I understand how to use it. The dealer can't currently because of covid restrictions and when lifted, hopefuls later this month, can be arranged.

For all previous cars, (all Audis) I read the instruction booklet that came with each car to familiarise with anything unfair. For this Octavia estate, it has two booklets: one that is not comprehensive, the other on-line only (which i could download). I won't say the dealer i bought the car from has been unhelpful, except the rep only answers questions i ask, and doesn't volunteer anything much. For example, to my 'how do i use the satnav?' he said I'd soon get the hang of it! I've had to take the dealer to task over several failings, none of which would've been dealt with had i not contacted the branch manager and all of which are now likely to be resolved to my satisfaction.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 8th, 2021, 11:31 am

brightncheerful wrote:
I have contacted another Skoda dealer to ask if they would give (I pay) me a session in my car, going through all the user tech, etc so that I understand how to use it. The dealer can't currently because of covid restrictions and when lifted, hopefuls later this month, can be arranged.

There's a market here for tech savvy millennials.- it looks like the modern equivalent of me teaching my parents how to set the VCR about 40 years ago.

Paul

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”