Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What a numpty

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

What a numpty

Postby redsturgeon » April 1st, 2022, 6:28 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-60958879

Idiot crashes new Ferrari within 2 miles of buying it!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: What a numpty

Postby AF62 » April 1st, 2022, 11:06 pm

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60958879

Oh dear, how sad, never mind. And as it was a single vehicle accident let’s hope the police charge them with careless driving as well.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 1st, 2022, 11:13 pm

What a sketchy BBC report! NO info whatsoever on what he drove it into. Pointless article in fact.

Perhaps can be summarised as "Red car drives into something but no-one knows what. Police are amused and call the BBC as is a Ferrari."

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » April 2nd, 2022, 12:03 am

Pah! Amateur! A squillion years ago an old mate of mine wrapped his brand spanking new Kwak round a lamp post. On the other side of the road (as in, 20 feet away) from the bike shop. Unfortunately the bike had been delivered early so he collected it early, and his insurance wasn't due to start until the next day ....

MM

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 2nd, 2022, 6:13 am

Mike4 wrote:
What a sketchy BBC report! NO info whatsoever on what he drove it into. Pointless article in fact.

Perhaps can be summarised as "Red car drives into something but no-one knows what. Police are amused and call the BBC as is a Ferrari."

I strongly suspect that the bonnet-shaped indentation in the barrier on the right of the second picture, along with the fresh pavement scratches in the area, might hold some clues...

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60958879

Kudos to the police if they managed to keep a straight face once they discovered the length of ownership...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2022, 9:07 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I strongly suspect that the bonnet-shaped indentation in the barrier on the right of the second picture, along with the fresh pavement scratches in the area, might hold some clues...

Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60958879

Kudos to the police if they managed to keep a straight face once they discovered the length of ownership...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I have to agree, now you point it out it certainly looks as though he managed to ram the bonnet underneath that continuous straight run of crash barrier running parallel to the carriageway. But this seems so close to impossible that I never even considered it. Did he mistake it for a left hand turning perhaps?

On reflection my best guess is he floored the throttle without realising the power of that V12 engine, leading to wheelspin and the back overtaking the front. You'd think it might have had traction control tho!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 2nd, 2022, 9:34 am

Mike4 wrote:I have to agree, now you point it out it certainly looks as though he managed to ram the bonnet underneath that continuous straight run of crash barrier running parallel to the carriageway. But this seems so close to impossible that I never even considered it. Did he mistake it for a left hand turning perhaps?

On reflection my best guess is he floored the throttle without realising the power of that V12 engine, leading to wheelspin and the back overtaking the front. You'd think it might have had traction control tho!

I think they ran it under the back of a taller vehicle, probably a quite low speed impact, as the damage is to the top of the bonnet rather than the front of the car.

That bit of road has quite a few turns and sliproads,irt is the inner Derby ring road, and given the little damage I'm thinking of distracted driver looking for heater controls or playing with menu options, low sun, cold morning, cold brand new tyres, brand new cold carbon ceramic brakes, and suddently that gap in front isn't quite big enough.

And for goodness' sake BBC, there's no apostrophe in the road name :(

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2022, 9:53 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I have to agree, now you point it out it certainly looks as though he managed to ram the bonnet underneath that continuous straight run of crash barrier running parallel to the carriageway. But this seems so close to impossible that I never even considered it. Did he mistake it for a left hand turning perhaps?

I think they ran it under the back of a taller vehicle, probably a quite low speed impact, as the damage is to the top of the bonnet rather than the front of the car.

That bit of road has quite a few turns and sliproads,irt is the inner Derby ring road, and given the little damage I'm thinking of distracted driver looking for heater controls or playing with menu options, low sun, cold morning, cold brand new tyres, brand new cold carbon ceramic brakes, and suddently that gap in front isn't quite big enough.

And for goodness' sake BBC, there's no apostrophe in the road name :(

Paul

Looking again at the other photo in the BBC article I think you're right. It ran under the tail bar of a lorry which probably never even felt the bump!

I notice the BBC article very carefully avoids mentioning the gender of the owner....

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 2nd, 2022, 11:00 am

Mike4 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Looking again at the other photo in the BBC article I think you're right. It ran under the tail bar of a lorry which probably never even felt the bump!

I notice the BBC article very carefully avoids mentioning the gender of the owner....

Would that adequately explain how they're facing the wrong way on that stretch of dual carriageway?

There seems to be red flakes of paint on the roadside barrier in that second photo, so I'm still going for that being the stop-device...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 2nd, 2022, 11:22 am

Mike4 wrote:I notice the BBC article very carefully avoids mentioning the gender of the owner....

Only because the only information is from Derbyshire Police, who didn't mention it either.

However that hasn't stopped the Daily Mail and the Mirror, for example, assuming it's male.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ht-it.html
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/f ... r-26615987

Scott.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » April 2nd, 2022, 11:34 am

Mike4 wrote:

Not sure why you are complaining about the BBC. Google the story and most papers and websites have pretty much the same report. I'm sure there were no reporters actually there, It's just a story published by an agency or on social media, and various sites such as the BBC just published it
doolally

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » April 2nd, 2022, 11:41 am

DrFfybes wrote:And for goodness' sake BBC, there's no apostrophe in the road name :(

Paul

Why not? The apostrophe seems perfectly reasonable to me, and if you google it, every reference I found refers to St Alkmund's Way, not St Alkmunds Way
doolally

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 2nd, 2022, 12:03 pm

doolally wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:And for goodness' sake BBC, there's no apostrophe in the road name :(

Paul

Why not? The apostrophe seems perfectly reasonable to me, and if you google it, every reference I found refers to St Alkmund's Way, not St Alkmunds Way
doolally

One of my school teachers would agree with DrFfybes.

RC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 2nd, 2022, 12:24 pm

Given the date, some fact checking seems prudent. Appears to be true.....

Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit @DerbyshireRPU
·
21h
Replying to @DerbyshireRPU
Not an April Fool. Incident 368 of 01/04/22 refers. Thanks

https://twitter.com/DerbyshireRPU/statu ... 9900988427

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » April 4th, 2022, 10:28 am

When I was working in Australia I dealt with a guy who was an old school engineer. Would turn his hand to anything and often did, wore a suit but had hands that were ingrained with engine oil.

Anyway, one day he took delivery of a brand new Maxda RX-7. Just at that moment someone shouted that his prize bull had escaped. He jumped into the closest vehicle which happened to be the RX-7 and shot off after the bull. Almost immediately, he hit a hidden treestump and wrote the brand new but not yet insured Mazda off.

Anyway, sadly he died a few years ago, but the business he founded is now one of Australia's leading engineering businesses.

DM

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 4th, 2022, 11:29 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:When I was working in Australia I dealt with a guy who was an old school engineer. Would turn his hand to anything and often did, wore a suit but had hands that were ingrained with engine oil.

Anyway, one day he took delivery of a brand new Maxda RX-7. Just at that moment someone shouted that his prize bull had escaped. He jumped into the closest vehicle which happened to be the RX-7 and shot off after the bull. Almost immediately, he hit a hidden treestump and wrote the brand new but not yet insured Mazda off.

Anyway, sadly he died a few years ago, but the business he founded is now one of Australia's leading engineering businesses.

DM

I guess the car was totally wankelled.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 4th, 2022, 12:10 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Mike4 wrote:And for goodness' sake BBC, there's no apostrophe in the road name :(
Paul

Watch out.... I pointed out simlilar to that out a while ago in another article and just look happened :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=30079

Btw I wonder if the driver put his foot down and there was an unexpected (to him) blast of power

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 4th, 2022, 1:39 pm

pje16 wrote:
Btw I wonder if the driver put his foot down and there was an unexpected (to him) blast of power

400 bhp was quite a surprise after more 'normal' cars, even after fast bikes, and the jump from 400 to 570 is quite 'refreshing', so 700+ could easily catch someone out. However you have to make an effort to to deploy the higher outputs, and the modern electronics are VERY good at reigning in exuberance, even the Italian systems :).

Unless you turn them off.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”