Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

How often does brake fluid need replacing.

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

How often does brake fluid need replacing.

Postby redsturgeon » April 6th, 2022, 9:37 am

I know brake fluid degrades with time but how often do you change yours?

My car service light had come on and the garage tells me it is due a brake fluid service. I said I'd had one recently. They said yes that was two years ago and it is recommended every two years. This seems excessive to me. There are no problems with the brakes otherwise. I know brake fluid is hydroscopic and will take in water which degrades its performance, potentially leading to brake fluid boiling and loss of pressure but I am not running in the local Grand Prix any time soon.

What intervals do others change their brake fluid?

John

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: How often does brake fluid need replacing.

Postby Laughton » April 6th, 2022, 10:15 am

Every two years for me but your garage can test the brake fluid for water content if you think that's too soon or expensive.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 6th, 2022, 10:21 am

redsturgeon wrote:I know brake fluid degrades with time but how often do you change yours?

My car service light had come on and the garage tells me it is due a brake fluid service. I said I'd had one recently. They said yes that was two years ago and it is recommended every two years. This seems excessive to me. There are no problems with the brakes otherwise. I know brake fluid is hydroscopic and will take in water which degrades its performance, potentially leading to brake fluid boiling and loss of pressure but I am not running in the local Grand Prix any time soon.

What intervals do others change their brake fluid?

John

But you do not want problems with the brakes surely? That is the point of changing the brake fluid.

T answer your question, I get mine changed when the service light comes on.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 6th, 2022, 10:36 am

Only recently have we had cars with this monitored electronically, so now it is every 2 or 3 years. I do think this is bum covering and revenue generating by the manufacturers, especially on more 'run of the mill' cars where the chances of the fluid getting hot enough to boil in normal use are virtually zero.

Previously probably every 5-10 years, usually when something else needed doing to the brakes, or the mechanic looked at the level and noticed it resembled Oxtail soup.

On the bike it is easier to tell, as there is no servo. On the road bike probably every 4 or 5 years before the lever gets a bit spongy.

On the race bike I could tell if the fluid hadn't been changed between meetings, but then again it got a lot hotter for a lot longer.

The upside of paying for regular fluid changes is it saves the expense of replacing calipers when a bleed nipple snaps as it is undone for the first time in a decade.

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 6th, 2022, 10:38 am

I used to change my cars before they needed this sort of thing. Just seems like a good way for the garages to make a bit of extra cash plus the annoyance of having to travel to the garage several miles away.

John

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 6th, 2022, 10:39 am

redsturgeon wrote:....They said yes that was two years ago and it is recommended every two years. This seems excessive to me.....

Every two years is the standard recommendation....

Most vehicle manufacturers recommend the brake fluid is changed every 2 years, regardless of the mileage. It may be that the fluid would be good for longer, but why take the chance?
https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials ... rake-fluid

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 6th, 2022, 10:40 am

I have had a lot of cars over the years
On some of my older ones I can't remember changing it until the pad/shoes were replaced
Now my car is high performance I don't take any chances, so 2 years it is
That may be over the top but I'd rather play safe

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 6th, 2022, 10:43 am

DrFfybes wrote:The upside of paying for regular fluid changes is it saves the expense of replacing calipers when a bleed nipple snaps as it is undone for the first time in a decade.

I used to do my own servicing on a Renault 4, and never in the whole time I owned it did a bleed screw loosen without snapping.

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 6th, 2022, 10:47 am

swill453 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:The upside of paying for regular fluid changes is it saves the expense of replacing calipers when a bleed nipple snaps as it is undone for the first time in a decade.

I used to do my own servicing on a Renault 4, and never in the whole time I owned it did a bleed screw loosen without snapping.

Scott.

French cars are famous for their fittings being made from soft cheese. Now a Rover, with bolts made from mature chedder meant you had half a chance.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » April 6th, 2022, 11:26 am

Just had my 2nd service on my Fiesta, service interval is every 2 years but it has only done 13K. Attached to the documentation is:-

Break Fluid - Due every 24 months £49
Pollen Filter - Due every 24 months £49
Spark plugs - Due everyu 36,000 miles or 48 Months £93.60

However, as part of service I see

Inspected spark plugs. Reported condition
Inspected and tested Brake Fluid

My take on this is if they check it during service and recommend they get changed then I will take their advice and change. Not sure about the pollen filter though. I wonder if there is any check by the ECU on the pollen filter. I know there is on the Oil as it has been telling me for 3 weeks to get it changed.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 6th, 2022, 11:46 am

All our cars have brake fluid changed every 2 years. The only exception is if a service is due and I'm about to sell or p/ex the car, then I'll tell The garage not to change it. Costs us about £100 for a brake fluid change.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 6th, 2022, 11:47 am

DrFfybes wrote:French cars are famous for their fittings being made from soft cheese. Now a Rover, with bolts made from mature chedder meant you had half a chance.

Loving the analogy :lol:

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 6th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Every 2 to 3 years. Brake fluid boiling is not the main risk from water in brake fluid. The most likely and a very common failure due to wet brake fluid is corrosion on very finely finished components in the ABS system. It really isn't a smart move delaying brake fluid changes. ABS unit replacement just once would pay for a good many fluid changes. I am afraid in my opinion, on modern vehicles with very sophisticated braking systems, fluid maintenance is something you just have to accept as a cost of ownership.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 6th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Maybe it's because I have not owned a French car, but I have never damaged a nipple while changing brake fluid.

Julian F. G. W.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I know brake fluid degrades with time but how often do you change yours?

Every two years.
One year I go into the front drums and check everything and bleed out the fluid.
Next year, the rears.
Doing the rears of the Rambler right now.

Removing the water prevents corrosion of the alloy cylinders, which then don't tear up the seals so one doesn't get leaks.

Silicone brake fluid doesn't need changing, but.... the system still draws in water which then collects at the lowest point, and so the system should periodically be bled to remove it. Can't say any more about that as I don't use SBF.

You should be thankful that this is being flagged up; for years, changing the brake fluid was a totally neglected item in car maintenance. I only learnt of it perhaps 15 years ago from being on a car club forum.

Bleed nipples... one can get stainless.
Otherwise, a smear of marine grease when refitting them. and it's not necessary that they be tight :x

V8

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 6th, 2022, 6:10 pm

What? Brake fluid needs changing? First I’ve heard of this… VW being 11 years old now, and brakes still “sensitive”- i.e. you don’t want to step on them too hard for fear of being overtaken by your luggage. Mind you it has been regularly serviced, and I have no idea what they do to it, but can’t recall ever seeing that on the bill.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 6th, 2022, 6:30 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:What? Brake fluid needs changing? First I’ve heard of this… VW being 11 years old now, and brakes still “sensitive”- i.e. you don’t want to step on them too hard for fear of being overtaken by your luggage. Mind you it has been regularly serviced, and I have no idea what they do to it, but can’t recall ever seeing that on the bill.

Check the VW service schedule, it'll be in there. A VW dealer likely just does it per the schedule. An independent garage, perhaps not.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”