Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

"Classic car collection"

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

"Classic car collection"

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 11th, 2022, 12:32 pm

The above is a euphemism for 'old junky vehicles.'
One of the neighbours has five crusty old cars which all seem to be over 40 years old. These are scattered down the road, taking up valuable parking spaces. I think because they're over 40 years old they don't need road tax or MOT, but do they need insurance? If so, how can I check if they have valid insurance? Yes you're right, I'd like to get them shifted, by fair means or foul.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: "Classic car collection"

Postby BullDog » April 11th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Yes they need insurance to be legally parked on the road. As far as I am aware, there's no way for a person to check for valid insurance on another owners vehicles.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » April 11th, 2022, 12:48 pm

BullDog wrote:Yes they need insurance to be legally parked on the road. As far as I am aware, there's no way for a person to check for valid insurance on another owners vehicles.

I stand corrected -

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Just checked next doors car. It works, it seems.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 12:51 pm

Maybe I'm sad, but I read "T&C"s and the like
Did no-one read this :roll:

"I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client."

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 11th, 2022, 12:58 pm

pje16 wrote:Maybe I'm sad, but I read "T&C"s and the like
Did no-one read this :roll:

"I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client."

There is another section to that service where you are entitled to query the insurance status of another vehicle if you have been involved in an accident with it.

Without commenting on the OP's situation, I find it rather concerning that a random stranger or neighbour can discover my insurance particulars as easily as this, as long as they are willing to lie about their motives.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 1:01 pm

All they can find out is the make/model of car and if it is insured or not

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 11th, 2022, 1:03 pm

pje16 wrote:All they can find out is the model of car and if it is insured or not

Well I would certainly hope that they cannot discover the name and address of the registered owner/keeper.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 1:15 pm

Lootman wrote:
pje16 wrote:All they can find out is the model of car and if it is insured or not

Well I would certainly hope that they cannot discover the name and address of the registered owner/keeper.

Nope they can't do that
surest way to find that out if that's true is post it here
someone will be along soon with a link of where you can get it :lol:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 11th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Lootman wrote:

That is surprisingly difficult to obtain, even if someone dumps a car on private land, no tax, insurance, nor MOT, if the land is owned by a Trust (rather than an indiifual) the DVLA will withold that information, even if the vehicle is preventing work to an underground service.

Quickest way to find out who owns a car is to drive into it and leave your phone no on the windscreen.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 11th, 2022, 1:58 pm

The quickest way to do anything is to ask a friendly criminal.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 11th, 2022, 2:00 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Lootman wrote:

That is surprisingly difficult to obtain, even if someone dumps a car on private land, no tax, insurance, nor MOT, if the land is owned by a Trust (rather than an individual) the DVLA will withhold that information, even if the vehicle is preventing work to an underground service.

Quickest way to find out who owns a car is to drive into it and leave your phone no on the windscreen.

It should be very difficult in my view. A long time ago I was involved in a small accident with another driver. The damage was minimal - a dent in the bumper - but I was willing to exchange information anyway. But then he went off on a rant and I started to be concerned about the interaction. So I got back into my vehicle and drove off. No doubt that made him even more angry but I no longer cared.

That was the end of the matter. But if he had been able to determine my identity and where I lived from my number plate, then he might have stalked me or acted out against me in some deranged way.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 11th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Lootman wrote:Well I would certainly hope that they cannot discover the name and address of the registered owner/keeper.

I'd resist the temptation to move to Switzerland, then. In most cantons, any stranger can access your name and address just by entering your car's number plate in a public database. (Sometimes by SMS text message.) It must be quite satisfying to know that if somebody cuts you up at the lights and gives you a victory salute, you can drive straight to his home and lie in wait for his return.

Or burgle his house, if he's far from home. Mind you, the fact that you've checked him out might turn out to be a bit of a dead giveaway. :?

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 11th, 2022, 3:50 pm

pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Nope they can't do that

Actually it is trivially easy to find out the name and address of the registered keeper from a registration number and will just cost you £2.50 - https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

All you need is ‘reasonable cause’ and I rather doubt the DVLA go to the ends of the earth to check the reason anyone provides is valid.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 11th, 2022, 3:54 pm

pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Nope they can't do that

I did say it was the best way to find out :lol:
Thanks AF62

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”