Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Speed Costs

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Speed Costs

Postby Mike4 » June 1st, 2022, 9:04 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:i go about 56mph. i must piss lots of people off. .

Only if you insist on driving in the middle lane.

Lots of commercial traffic in the nearside all the time doing 56mph or thereabouts with no problem to other motorists. They only piss people off on dual carriageways when they pull out to overtake another commercial doing 55.9999mph.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2022, 11:08 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:If I drive my 2007 Honda Accord diesel at 2000rpm on the motorway (about an indicated 70mph) then it will return over 60mpg. Turbo diesel 2.2 litre, 138 BHP and no DFP.

If I am travelling around town then I use my PHEV on electric only, don't want to let people breathe in my nasty fumes.

If I fancy a bit of fun then I take out the MX5 on the local B roads

If I want to feel really righteous I cycle.

John

You are of course contributing to the well known fact that B roads are the most dangerous in the UK. They are not roads where people should be having a 'bit of fun'. Roads are not for fun (as I expect you actually know)

Dod

It is entirely possible to have fun without either breaking the law or being a danger to others. Also as a cyclist I ride my bike on those same B roads for fun...in your opinion I should not be doing that either?

I suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself rather than casting around completely baseless accusations.

John

I certainly will not keep my opinions to myself. What would be the point of these Boards if we did that? You may cast your opinions around but may not? What nonsense is that?

Public roads are not built 'for fun' by anyone, redsturgeon or anyone else.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 1st, 2022, 11:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:If I drive my 2007 Honda Accord diesel at 2000rpm on the motorway (about an indicated 70mph) then it will return over 60mpg. Turbo diesel 2.2 litre, 138 BHP and no DFP.

If I am travelling around town then I use my PHEV on electric only, don't want to let people breathe in my nasty fumes.

If I fancy a bit of fun then I take out the MX5 on the local B roads

If I want to feel really righteous I cycle.

John

You are of course contributing to the well known fact that B roads are the most dangerous in the UK. They are not roads where people should be having a 'bit of fun'. Roads are not for fun (as I expect you actually know)

Dod

It is entirely possible to have fun without either breaking the law or being a danger to others. Also as a cyclist I ride my bike on those same B roads for fun...in your opinion I should not be doing that either?

I suggest that you keep your opinions to yourself rather than casting around completely baseless accusations.

John

I certainly will not keep my opinions to myself. What would be the point of these Boards if we did that? You may cast your opinions around but may not? What nonsense is that?

Public roads are not built 'for fun' by anyone, redsturgeon or anyone else.

Dod

Can we get a definition of 'bit of fun' before starting a bun fight over it?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 2nd, 2022, 12:37 am

scotview wrote:I don't think any of the political parties really believe in climate change, and the life changing urgent action, otherwise, virtually overnight, they could have the maximum speed set to 55 mph. This would save hugely on hydrocarbon and electricity usage. Maybe having an even greater and more instant effect than the heat pump strategy..

Here in Wales, certain sections of motorway/dual carriageway have had the speed limit reduced to 50mph for environmental reasons, such as the M4 around Newport. Many towns have now implemented 20mph limits as well. No problem for me as I drive frugally anyway*

* but dare I say - ride a motorbike for fun !

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 2nd, 2022, 12:58 am

I've returned from a 70 mph drive today. And enjoyed a fun drive with impressive acceleration. The car is filling up as I write. Half a "tank" will cost around £3 and add nearly 150 mile range.

Making the most of off peak electricity at 5p per kWh ;) .

regards

Howard

PS Sadly my Octopus tariff is going up when the contract runs out at the end of June. Not sure what the new tariff will be.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 2nd, 2022, 7:52 am

Let me clarify that statement.

Please keep your uninformed opinions about my driving habits to yourself unless you know the facts.

Clearly you seem to think that having fun on the road involves either breaking the law, speeding or dangerous driving, you are quite simply wrong if that is the case

Perhaps my definition of fun requires some clarification to prevent people like you getting the wrong impression and unless you have actually driven an MX5 or similar then you probably still wont get it.

This morning I am looking out of my window at a beautiful sunrise, the sky is clear and the forecast is good. I live in a beautiful part of the country on the borders on the South Downs National Park which starts half a mile away from my house. I have lived here for over 20 years, I have driven many times on the minor roads around my home, I have motorcycled on them, I have cycled them, I have walked them, I know these roads. I know the speed limits on these roads, I know several roads near me with a national speed limit (60mph) where I would not dream of driving faster than 30 mph. There are roads that I have cycled faster than I drive my car.

Now the MX5, it was originally built as a labour of love by a British engineer working in Japan for Mazda designing a pick up truck. He had a yearning for a traditional British sports car, something like an MG roadster, or perhaps a Triumph, but something with built in Japanese reliability. He took this idea to his bosses who said, "Great but you can work on it only in your own time". So the MX5 was born.

In its early incarnation it was as basic as you can get, my model is nearly 20 years old and still has no electronic driver aids except ABS, when you drive it you feel totally connected to the car and what it is doing. You sit low to the road, the car is small, with the roof down you can feel everything that is happening around you, you feel connected to the car. You touch the steering, the car responds instantly, you decide where you want to position yourself on the road, the car obeys. When the car is travelling at 50 mph it feels like a modern "quality" car travelling at 70mph. It is light and agile but noisy and giving high levels of feedback from the road. Do not be deceived though, it is a highly capable driving machine and there is a reason that many are raced on tracks all over the world and when in capable hands often run rings around much more powerful cars.

Then there is the driver, every driver considers themselves above average and at least 50% are wrong of course. I also consider myself above average and here are my reasons:

1. I have been driving for a long time, and have driven many miles often averaging over 30,000 miles year. I drove nearly 40,000 miles last year.
2. I have taken advanced driving skills courses with my driving assessed by qualified instructors.
3. I have driven cars and motorcycles around many race tracks in the UK at high speeds and have been instructed how to do this safely
4. I have taken lessons in rally cars to learn how to handle cars drifting on opposite lock on poor surfaces.
5. I have had session on skid pans to learn how to control cars when skidding.
6. I keep these skills up to date and I am about to book myself and my two children on a driving skills course that I was checking yesterday.

There are also reasons why my skills may not be optimal, I am over 60 so my reaction times are not what they were. I am not Max Vestappen.

So with that background information here is a quick run down of me having fun on the road, something which you maintain should never happen.

I pick a day and a time when the weather is good and I know the roads will be quiet, I have no desire to be stuck in a queue of traffic. I pick a route that I know well, there will be a destination in mind, perhaps a coffee shop or a pub (I do not drink alcohol before you start replying). I will drive with the roof down and, as I have been taught by advanced instructors...making progress safely. I will have no radio on and no phone available. This might involve driving at up to 60 mph on a road where it is safe and legal and it will be a lot more fun than driving in a fully insulated tin box, with the radio blaring or talking on the phone while leaving the car's safety features to deal with the road. Yes I am enjoying myself...on the road...before it is banned as it inevitably will be someday.

I am sorry if you never have fun on the road, perhaps it might be better if that is the case not to spend £50,000 on a car when less than half of that money would enable you to get from A to B efficiently (though perhaps with less fun). Personally I would not dream on suggesting that to you though, if your Audi Q5 gives you pleasure (or "fun") while you drive it then all power to you and I hope you continue to enjoy many miles driving it.

Thank you for your opinion and I must finish now to get ready for "a bit of (safe and legal) fun" on my local roads. Today looks like a beautiful day for it.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 2nd, 2022, 7:52 am

Howard wrote:I've returned from a 70 mph drive today. And enjoyed a fun drive with impressive acceleration. The car is filling up as I write. Half a "tank" will cost around £3 and add nearly 150 mile range.

Making the most of off peak electricity at 5p per kWh ;) .

regards

Howard

PS Sadly my Octopus tariff is going up when the contract runs out at the end of June. Not sure what the new tariff will be.

I am jealous

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2022, 8:44 am

redsturgeon wrote:

Let me clarify that statement.

Please keep your uninformed opinions about my driving habits to yourself unless you know the facts.

Clearly you seem to think that having fun on the road involves either breaking the law, speeding or dangerous driving, you are quite simply wrong if that is the case

Perhaps my definition of fun requires some clarification to prevent people like you getting the wrong impression and unless you have actually driven an MX5 or similar then you probably still wont get it.

This morning I am looking out of my window at a beautiful sunrise, the sky is clear and the forecast is good. I live in a beautiful part of the country on the borders on the South Downs National Park which starts half a mile away from my house. I have lived here for over 20 years, I have driven many times on the minor roads around my home, I have motorcycled on them, I have cycled them, I have walked them, I know these roads. I know the speed limits on these roads, I know several roads near me with a national speed limit (60mph) where I would not dream of driving faster than 30 mph. There are roads that I have cycled faster than I drive my car.

Now the MX5, it was originally built as a labour of love by a British engineer working in Japan for Mazda designing a pick up truck. He had a yearning for a traditional British sports car, something like an MG roadster, or perhaps a Triumph, but something with built in Japanese reliability. He took this idea to his bosses who said, "Great but you can work on it only in your own time". So the MX5 was born.

In its early incarnation it was as basic as you can get, my model is nearly 20 years old and still has no electronic driver aids except ABS, when you drive it you feel totally connected to the car and what it is doing. You sit low to the road, the car is small, with the roof down you can feel everything that is happening around you, you feel connected to the car. You touch the steering, the car responds instantly, you decide where you want to position yourself on the road, the car obeys. When the car is travelling at 50 mph it feels like a modern "quality" car travelling at 70mph. It is light and agile but noisy and giving high levels of feedback from the road. Do not be deceived though, it is a highly capable driving machine and there is a reason that many are raced on tracks all over the world and when in capable hands often run rings around much more powerful cars.

Then there is the driver, every driver considers themselves above average and at least 50% are wrong of course. I also consider myself above average and here are my reasons:

1. I have been driving for a long time, and have driven many miles often averaging over 30,000 miles year. I drove nearly 40,000 miles last year.
2. I have taken advanced driving skills courses with my driving assessed by qualified instructors.
3. I have driven cars and motorcycles around many race tracks in the UK at high speeds and have been instructed how to do this safely
4. I have taken lessons in rally cars to learn how to handle cars drifting on opposite lock on poor surfaces.
5. I have had session on skid pans to learn how to control cars when skidding.
6. I keep these skills up to date and I am about to book myself and my two children on a driving skills course that I was checking yesterday.

There are also reasons why my skills may not be optimal, I am over 60 so my reaction times are not what they were. I am not Max Vestappen.

So with that background information here is a quick run down of me having fun on the road, something which you maintain should never happen.

I pick a day and a time when the weather is good and I know the roads will be quiet, I have no desire to be stuck in a queue of traffic. I pick a route that I know well, there will be a destination in mind, perhaps a coffee shop or a pub (I do not drink alcohol before you start replying). I will drive with the roof down and, as I have been taught by advanced instructors...making progress safely. I will have no radio on and no phone available. This might involve driving at up to 60 mph on a road where it is safe and legal and it will be a lot more fun than driving in a fully insulated tin box, with the radio blaring or talking on the phone while leaving the car's safety features to deal with the road. Yes I am enjoying myself...on the road...before it is banned as it inevitably will be someday.

I am sorry if you never have fun on the road, perhaps it might be better if that is the case not to spend £50,000 on a car when less than half of that money would enable you to get from A to B efficiently (though perhaps with less fun). Personally I would not dream on suggesting that to you though, if your Audi Q5 gives you pleasure (or "fun") while you drive it then all power to you and I hope you continue to enjoy many miles driving it.

Thank you for your opinion and I must finish now to get ready for "a bit of (safe and legal) fun" on my local roads. Today looks like a beautiful day for it.

John

Many thanks for that essay on driving your MX5. It all leaves me entirely cold. I would rather spend the day walking somewhere in the beautiful countryside where I live, I can walk out of my front door and for the next couple of hours at least, see hardly a soul, nor hear any traffic, MX5s or otherwise. As it is a beautiful summer's morning (anniversary of the last Coronation 69 years ago in case you want to know) I will probably do just that.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 2nd, 2022, 8:52 am

Dod101 wrote:

Dod

If only that were true. Then we could ban all those horse riders, leisure cyclists and caravanners who clog them up all bloody summer.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2022, 9:01 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

If only that were true. Then we could ban all those horse riders, leisure cyclists and caravanners who clog them up all bloody summer.

Paul

Irony I have no doubt, but you have illustrated why roads are not intended to be places where some can have 'a bit of fun'.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 2nd, 2022, 9:09 am

Howard wrote:PS Sadly my Octopus tariff is going up when the contract runs out at the end of June. Not sure what the new tariff will be.

You might be lucky (as I was) - some of Octopus's Go and Go Faster tariff customers haven't received the notification of the end of the fixed term tariff that the regulations require, so Octopus have proactively offered to keep them on the existing tariff prices for another 12 months.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 2nd, 2022, 10:31 am

Dod101 wrote:You are of course contributing to the well known fact that B roads are the most dangerous in the UK. They are not roads where people should be having a 'bit of fun'. Roads are not for fun (as I expect you actually know)

Is it me, or are some of us suffering from a sense of humour failure today? Too much jubilee jollity already? :lol:

Aside from motorways, roads don't belong to just one sector of society for just one purpose. They are there for access, business, commuting, pleasure and exercise. The point is that we do our collective best to meet the sometimes conflicting needs of these various purposes. And that we do so with civility, reasonable consideration and goodwill. Apologies for pointing out the obvious. ;)

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”