Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Day camper. Van v Estate v SUV

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Day camper. Van v Estate v SUV

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 1:48 pm

I'm looking at an everyday vehicle that can be used as an occasional overnight camper. I don't want even a small campervan such as a VW T series or a Transit.

A car derived van would be great for sitting in, but most are only 6 foot (just) long in the back, which is a bit tight for sleeping. The exceptions are the LWB versions (Caddy Maxi etc), but that only has 2 seats unless more are fitted in the back.

Just looking around, there are some remarkably cheap estate cars (VW, Mercedes etc as well as other makes), in really good nick with high specifications. They're better for sleeping in, but not so good for sitting (in the back anyway)

...and some even more remarkably cheap SUV's - particularly Range Rover & Defender? For example

Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury

2010 / 81,000 miles

Car is in immaculate condition
New mot until November 2023
Full service history
New electric handbrake
4 New suspension arms
New rear brake pipes

£10,500. That must have been the thick end of sixty grand when new. I'm assuming running costs must be quite eye watering though?

I recall Top Gear buying a couple of 10 year old fully loaded motorway munchers (a Beemer and a Merc) as an alternative to a new Kia Picanto. They planned to keep them long term, but they were never heard of again. I remember searching and one of the German cars had let go in a big way, so the article was scrapped.

...but it is possible to pick up a luxury car for sweeties. Maybe even more so these days?

Thoughts on any of the above welcome.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Day camper. Van v Estate v SUV

Postby staffordian » February 3rd, 2023, 2:36 pm

A friend of mine converted a Skoda Octavia estate, videos of it here...

Part one

https://youtu.be/MteK1uW0to0

Part two

https://youtu.be/QY61ZdUG4V0

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 3rd, 2023, 2:49 pm

I can't offer a lot of guidance beyond one problem when buying a car for £10k that cost >£60k new is that parts, running costs and maintenance are likely to be priced for a >£60k rather than a £10k vehicle. Though if you're really good at DIY repairs that obviously helps.

PS - Skoda Octavia is a terrific car. Do your homework though. Some of the VAG 2.0 litre diesel engines have terminal issues with oil pump drives. There might be other gotchas that I'm unaware of too.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » February 3rd, 2023, 2:56 pm

Yes you could pick up a luxury car for a couple of grand, but it will still have the running costs of a 60k car....when something goes it could easily be into 4 figures to replace/repair.

What about looking at the dimensions of an old Fiat Doblo - like a Berlingo/Kangoo but a little bigger - in fact big enough for all our local cabbies to use them about 10-12 years ago when the council insisted all cabs had to have a rear lift for wheelchairs, the alternative was a 45k Merc van at the time.

Do you need/want to have 4wd and extra ground clearance? I'm guessing not from your brief. I used to play this game in my head and the answer is always Mitsubishi Delica, regardless of the question.... :)

As a combination of space and size, for what you have described, I think I might look at an old 'fashioned large' MPV, like an Alhambra/Galaxy. Large MPVs went out of fashion many years ago when SUVs became king. An Alhambra, for example, would have the footprint of a large estate, the seating is slightly more vertical so actually seating takes less length, some of the seats might be removable (?), the height of an suv so more internal height, hopefully a reliable VAG TDI engine, etc..

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 3:21 pm

All good thoughts. Thanks.

Yeah, I remember a colleague had a big Ford MPV for his 5 kids. Cavernous inside, seats that turned around & removable etc. Just the job really.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 3rd, 2023, 3:37 pm

Probably the only condidate for all is the Ford Smax/Galaxy.

also consider the newer Dacia, erm, the very big one. Removable rear seats, but the normal rears fold forwards which limits load length.

Long estates are Mondeo, Avensis, E class, 5 series, etc.

As for a luxo barge for peanuts, there;'s a reason they're cheap, and it isn't because they are cheap to run. You can get a £100k Maserati for under £20k. A lovely place to sit waiting until payday so you can fill it up again ;)

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 3rd, 2023, 3:42 pm

For a large estate with all the toys that will still be cheap to run, the Honda Accord EX DTEC about 6k for a 2010 model, reliable 2.2 diesel, leather, heated seats etc.

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 3rd, 2023, 3:55 pm

Tedx wrote:
A car derived van would be great for sitting in, but most are only 6 foot (just) long in the back, which is a bit tight for sleeping.

As per the great links from staffordian, the trick to maximise available bed-length is to raise the bed to create a storage space underneath, whilst also then allowing the bed 'headspace' to extend as far as possible over any lowered rear seats, even if the head-end then subsequently raises up slightly...

I've toyed with the idea with my Zafira, although not yet bitten the bullet, but it's got a fairly high internal space, and there's plenty of people that have found what look to be very workable solutions with a Vauxhall Zafira, and I suspect that looking at the pictures below, there might even be further opportunity for additional bed-length if at least one of the forward seats were to be lowered as well -

Source - https://www.goboony.com/campers/germany/berlin/berlin/39066

Source - https://www.facebook.com/2301430903415570/photos/pcb.3203311546560830/3203311349894183/?type=3&theater

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 4:06 pm

As always these days, if theres a market for selling stuff, then someone will make it. Which is great if you're not all that handy as a carpenter, or dont have the time and space to knock something up.

Estate car conversion kits are cheap on ebay and there are plenty of other higher end manufacturers - eg

https://campal.co.uk/campal-estate/

https://www.simplecampervans.com/

or a complete module

https://www.chapelmotorhomes.co.uk/micr ... rsion-kits

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 3rd, 2023, 4:21 pm

Tedx wrote:
As always these days, if theres a market for selling stuff, then someone will make it.

Which is great if you're not all that handy as a carpenter, or don't have the time and space to knock something up.

Estate car conversion kits are cheap on ebay and there are plenty of other higher end manufacturers - eg

or a complete module

When I've considered this in the past for my Zafira, I've never yet really gone beyond the 'how would I get a bed in there' stage, and last time I ended up thinking the most portable and temporary solution, just to potentially give things a go, would be a sturdy camping bed with a cantilevered head-rest section, that would then slide over the angled front passenger seat to provide some extra leg-length even going beyond that shown in my earlier Zafira photos, which have the front seats still in their fully-upright configurations -

Source - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALPHA-CAMP-Oversized-Supports-Sleeping/dp/B08KXY5T1N

Personally, I'd be looking to carry out some potential 'try-out' sessions with very cheap solutions like that before I ventured into more expensive 'designer' options, but I think the main thing is to come up with some workable options for gaining that additional bed-length that you'd then be happy to incorporate into any potential vehicle-purchases, just so you've got some 'art of the possible' stuff you can think about whilst weighing up possible options.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 4:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Tedx wrote:
As always these days, if theres a market for selling stuff, then someone will make it.

Which is great if you're not all that handy as a carpenter, or don't have the time and space to knock something up.

or a complete module

When I've considered this in the past for my Zafira, I've never yet really gone beyond the 'how would I get a bed in there' stage, and last time I ended up thinking the most portable and temporary solution, just to potentially give things a go, would be a sturdy camping bed with a cantilevered head-rest section, that would then slide over the angled front passenger seat to provide some extra leg-length even going beyond that shown in my earlier Zafira photos, which have the front seats still in their fully-upright configurations -

Source - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALPHA-CAMP-Oversized-Supports-Sleeping/dp/B08KXY5T1N

Personally, I'd be looking to carry out some potential 'try-out' sessions with very cheap solutions like that before I ventured into more expensive 'designer' options, but I think the main thing is to come up with some workable options for gaining that additional bed-length that you'd then be happy to incorporate into any potential vehicle-purchases, just so you've got some 'art of the possible' stuff you can think about whilst weighing up possible options.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes indeed. In fact I was looking at a Berlingo van the other night and the load area is 1.8m long and 1200mm between the arches. The only camp bed I could find that would allow 2 side by side in the Berlingo was this one. Luckily both me and the wife are less than 1.8m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurohike-Utah- ... th=1&psc=1

So my plan was 2 of these, plus 2 folding camp chairs we already have plus that sectional foam mat stuff you can put on the floor for kids to play on, plus a Jackery type power bank for lights etc

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 4:31 pm

PS re campsites.

I was talking to a guy outside his house (he was actually working on changing an ex British Gas VW Caddy Maxi into a days van) and he said that some campsites will turn away window less vans (or vans that have windows that dont open). The front windows don't count apparently.

Not sure how widespread this is, but it's worth bearing in mind. He's currently plucking up the courage to cut into one of the side doors and fit a window.....

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » February 3rd, 2023, 8:50 pm

Here's another perspective on your problem.......a few years ago I had similar ideas to you. In the end I decided I must be crazy. I can stay overnight in a pleasant Premier Inn or similar quite a few times before I spend the amount of money I am likely to spend on a suitable vehicle and it won't be anywhere near as comfortable as a room.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 3rd, 2023, 9:29 pm

Yep agreed. I too have given that a lot of consideration....but I am talking basically a day van, not a motor home. A temporary bed we can park up at the base of a hill on a Friday evening ready to crack on the next morning.

And a vehicle that we can use on a Monday morning. We sold the wifes car last month, so we need a second vehicle anyway.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 4th, 2023, 10:52 am

One of the big things with conversions is condensation.

A small space, like an estate car or trailer used overnight at (say) a race circuit, will be spiing wet through in the morning unless the windows are vented.

Caravans/camoervans tend to have trickle vents.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 4th, 2023, 11:13 am

Tedx wrote:The only camp bed I could find that would allow 2 side by side in the Berlingo was this one. Luckily both me and the wife are less than 1.8m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eurohike-Utah- ... th=1&psc=1

So my plan was 2 of these, plus 2 folding camp chairs we already have plus that sectional foam mat stuff you can put on the floor for kids to play on, plus a Jackery type power bank for lights etc

We must have tried most of those possibilities during our three decades of (tent) camping in France, and the thing we found out about the skinny-legged camp beds was how easy it was to tip them over. Not just to the left or the right, but toward the foot end. Which would mostly happen when trying to exit the tent for a nocturnal pee. Thus catapulting oneself (and sometimes the wife) toward the door in a most unexpected fashion.

It didn't take us too long to decide that a king-sized air mattress was both the most comfortable and the most matrimonially satisfactory solution. Although you'll need to beef up the suspension if you go the whole hog and opt for the water bed. ;)

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 4th, 2023, 3:51 pm

Tedx wrote:I'm looking at an everyday vehicle that can be used as an occasional overnight camper.

Volvo... there seem to be plenty of people who sleep happily in the Volvo V50. And they have a rep for longevity.

Same may apply to the earlier 200 series.

Personally I would be more drawn to this.

V8

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 4th, 2023, 4:15 pm

88V8 wrote:Personally I would be more drawn to this.

£85k for a Morris Traveller? :lol:

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 4th, 2023, 4:34 pm

Many years ago my first vehicle was a Morris 8 Series SZPO van, ex GPO Telephones. The back was a 4foot cube essentially but the diagonal was rather longer. I had the back seat from a scrapped Standard 9 in the back, normally a backward facing seat but often lying flat. Being only 5'4" tall, I was able to lie comfortably on the diagonal. (√32).

I suggest that for occasional use by one person it is the diagonal which should be considered. Alternatively, what about a decommissioned hearse?

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 4th, 2023, 4:47 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I suggest that for occasional use by one person it is the diagonal which should be considered. Alternatively, what about a decommissioned hearse?

Now you're talking. :D A friend at university had a father who'd left the priesthood. But not before he'd bagged himself a Rolls Royce hearse and painted it yellow.

Would it bother me to sleep on that damn great shelf at the back? As long as they'd removed the pointy metal bits that hold the coffin in place, I daresay I could rest in peace. :)

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”