Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Adding EU national to my UK car insurance

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Adding EU national to my UK car insurance

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 18th, 2023, 9:24 am

I'm having a friend visit from Belgium (EU/Belgian driving licence) on holiday and we're driving to Scotland in my car. Friend would like to share driving. I am looking into adding friend to my car insurance (temporarily, for a couple of weeks). I've e-mailed my insurance company to ask and am waiting for a reply. I don't have full driving details of said friend yet, but can get them. Has anyone done this or can offer any pointers.

A bit of Googling suggests Admiral seem to suggest it might be possible (https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/driving-in-britain-with-a-non-uk-licence):
Admiral wrote:If you’re a visitor to the UK and will be borrowing a friend or relative’s car, you must be added to their policy as a named driver
I'm with Aviva for car insurance.
TIA

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Adding EU national to my UK car insurance

Postby didds » May 18th, 2023, 9:57 am

my only thought is "a couple of weeks" is probably unneccesary - it will be a double admin fee ... first to add them, then again to remove them.

Probably more efficient to just add them, pay the admin fee, then remove them at renewal (unless of course the renewal is cheaper with them on it! ;-)

didds

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » May 18th, 2023, 1:42 pm

We never proceeded with it, but I enquired about adding a French national to my insurance for a similar purpose in 2021, but for driving in France, rather than the UK.

I was with LV at the time, and the price was very reasonable indeed, along the lines of £15 admin (once only) and around £20 for the period.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » May 18th, 2023, 9:24 pm

We recently added an EU national to our insurance with Admiral. It was straightforward. You just need all the usual info (licence details and so on).

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”