Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Accident Damage Insurance

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dod101
The full Lemon

Accident Damage Insurance

Postby Dod101 » July 18th, 2023, 8:55 am

Two weeks ago last Saturday a large branch from an oak tree jumped out and hit the passenger side of my car causing considerable bodywork damage, nothing mechanical though. I must say that I have had absolutely first class service from my insurers and the car has just been returned to me this morning. So far as I can tell it is back to 'as new'. The hire car, part of the insurance cover, arrived on the Monday afternoon after the accident and my car was removed on the same day. I was kept informed all the time. I am impressed.

For anyone interested, my insurers are Direct LIne. As we all know, a poor investment over the last year or so but they have in my experience got good systems in place for what matters to most, response at the time of an accident.

I am not a shareholder nor do I have any other connection with Direct Line. If I am not allowed to say this then the mods will no doubt delete this post. That is fine by me but I just though some might be interested.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Accident Damage Insurance

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 9:07 am

That was a very quick turnaround from the incident to the car being back with you, kudos to DLG!

I hold shares in DLG and was disappointed with the dividend suspension. I suspect there will be no further ones until August 24 ('rebased', no doubt).

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 18th, 2023, 10:08 am

Dod101 wrote:Two weeks ago last Saturday a large branch from an oak tree jumped out and hit the passenger side of my car.... I must say that I have had absolutely first class service from my insurers......

Ultimately, that's what matters.
Not how cheap the premium was.

One almost expects bad service in claims handling. Ten years and more since I made a claim, it wasn't dealt with by the supposed insurer at all, but a Claims Handling company whose sole object was to settle it cheaply.
Trouble is, other than the occasional Which report, one has no way of knowing until it's too late.

Good that you had a happy outcome. Hope you don't meet any more animated oak trees.

V8

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 18th, 2023, 10:24 am

Perhaps a Triffid?

;)

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 18th, 2023, 10:50 am

Yes DLG are my insurers and they have been good when I've had accidents - last was a supermarket car park. I was reverse parking and the car next to the space I was reversing into decided to reverse out. I saw what they were up to so stopped, they didn't see me and as they reversed out and swung the front end round they clipped my car and scratched the body work. Nothing particularly bad and now with the car 6 years old I wouldn't have bothered, but then it was brand new. Direct line dealt with it, picked car up from work dropped me a loan car (another yeti) returned car three days later to work (immaculate) and picked up the loan car. All with just a phone call to the claims line, which is one reason I've not been quick to change when the bill went up this year as service is important.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 18th, 2023, 11:57 am

daveh wrote:Yes DLG are my insurers and they have been good when I've had accidents - last was a supermarket car park. I was reverse parking and the car next to the space I was reversing into decided to reverse out. I saw what they were up to so stopped, they didn't see me and as they reversed out and swung the front end round they clipped my car and scratched the body work. Nothing particularly bad and now with the car 6 years old I wouldn't have bothered, but then it was brand new. Direct line dealt with it, picked car up from work dropped me a loan car (another yeti) returned car three days later to work (immaculate) and picked up the loan car. All with just a phone call to the claims line, which is one reason I've not been quick to change when the bill went up this year as service is important.

Glad to hear that. There was not even a mention of cost to me and there could noy have been any haggling because the repair workshop clearly wasted no time. I have not a any motor claim for many many years but it does concern me when people just pick the cheapest cover they find and are then surprised to have penny pinching when it comes to a claim.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 18th, 2023, 12:17 pm

It's been a long time since my bash from a Direct Line insured driver, but the experience was also good. :) The clot had performed an ill-advised U-turn and had rammed my offside wing so hard that he'd actually bent my wheel (and upset the suspension, and, and, and...)

Direct Line conceded liability within an hour, and my courtesy car arrived an hour after that. They wanted to do the repair at a workshop of their choosing, but it was a perfect job. Painless.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”