Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Postby DelianLeague » September 2nd, 2023, 2:20 pm

Hello All,

I was thinking of taking up motorcycling again after a long, long break. I blame my older brother who has started riding again and is having great fun going on rides and clubs etc. He is always up to something bike related. I have ignored him when it comes to bike related subjects for 2 years now but I have finally cracked and I have started to get a bit jealous.

I need to start again fairly gently and I thought that the above mentioned bike might be a good choice.
I would be grateful for any opinions or rider experiences/problems with this choice.

My last motorcycle was a 1983 Katana 550. (that is actually faster than the above 650 even though it was 40 years ago).

Thanks, D.L.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Postby 88V8 » September 2nd, 2023, 3:01 pm

You have a bike licence?
I rode for some years on a provisional... chap down the lane was telling me the rigmarole one has to go through nowadays...

As to choice of bike, howzabout this.
It obviates the bug that threw me when I had both British and Jap bikes, which foot has the gearshift and which the brake.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 2nd, 2023, 3:05 pm

It's a fine choice for a returning rider. Definitely go for a ride on one though.

Due to them being more expensive than the Enfield when new, at a similar price are the various Bonneville models and the Kawasaki w800.

All of them have a fairly authentic 60/70's vibe but with modern reliability. Used versions of the Triumph or the Kawasaki can be a good buy and an excellent alternative to the Enfield.

Also well worth a look in my opinion, the Moto Guzzi v7 850 and Suzuki sv650.

Good luck with your decision, try to get a ride before buying.

All those bikes suffer somewhat in my humble opinion by being built down to a price. Inevitable really I suppose, when £20k bikes are now commonplace. That's why I suggest you try them to see what you're happiest with.

(Disclosure, I have a Bonneville T100).

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 2nd, 2023, 3:13 pm

Naw, these days most guys coming back to bikes after a long period dont go for that kind of machine.

You have to set yourself some basic criteria.

1. 200 horsepower.
2. .....ummm.

....and that's about it really.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 2nd, 2023, 3:19 pm

Tedx wrote:Naw, these days most guys coming back to bikes after a long period dont go for that kind of machine.

You have to set yourself some basic criteria.

1. 200 horsepower.
2. .....ummm.

....and that's about it really.

With current traffic and our 3rd world grade roads, I can't use all the 50 something horsepower of my Triumph!

:lol:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 2nd, 2023, 3:31 pm

I hear ya. I have a 300cc maxi scooter. More than enough for me these days.

Doesn't stop 'em buying a Hyabusa or something with many RRRRR'S in its name.

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » September 2nd, 2023, 3:32 pm

BullDog wrote:It's a fine choice for a returning rider. Definitely go for a ride on one though.

Due to them being more expensive than the Enfield when new, at a similar price are the various Bonneville models and the Kawasaki w800.

All of them have a fairly authentic 60/70's vibe but with modern reliability. Used versions of the Triumph or the Kawasaki can be a good buy and an excellent alternative to the Enfield.

All those bikes suffer somewhat in my humble opinion by being built down to a price. Inevitable really I suppose, when £20k bikes are now commonplace. That's why I suggest you try them to see what you're happiest with.

Many Thanks, an extremely helpful reply. I will have a look at some of your other suggestions. D.L.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 2nd, 2023, 3:35 pm

DelianLeague wrote:
BullDog wrote:It's a fine choice for a returning rider. Definitely go for a ride on one though.

Many Thanks, an extremely helpful reply. I will have a look at some of your other suggestions. D.L.

Good luck with your research. Happy to assist further if required.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 2nd, 2023, 4:57 pm

I've got Yamaha Tenere off-road aspirations ( too many 'Richardheads' on the roads). Problem is, I don't have a bike licence :(

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » September 2nd, 2023, 5:50 pm

Nothing wrong with the RE 650. A fine bike for the price. It's built down to a price off course and like a previous post suggests spending a bit more money will bring you a few more extras. All bikes have to have anti-lock brakes as standard but more modern bikes will have different modes (road, rain, power etc) that alters the mapping for the conditions. There's also traction control which can be handy and I wouldn't buy any bike these days without a main stand, proper mudguards and heated grips. I have the Bonneville T120 (1200cc) at the moment but there will come a time when I need something a bit lighter and an RE Interceptor will probably fit the bill. Just out of interest, Triumph are bringing out a Bonneville styled 400cc single early next year which also piques my interest.

There's a chap on youtube called Stuart Fillingham who has several RE's and does reviews* on them. Warts and all.

*British, no-nonsense, no shouting or yelping, no BS youtuber.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 2nd, 2023, 5:55 pm

I have several friends who have bought REs recently. All are long time riders, many are ex racers, and all are at a stage in life where they want something light and easy for bimbilng down B roads.

They are on Scrams or Himalayans, Mike has just ridden his Him to Switzerland and back. Henry has done a couple of Natipnal Rallies on his.

Apparently the worst bit is the painfully slow running in procedure, but as something to potter around on away from motorways they are by all accounts excellent.

They're even doing a 2 or 3 day trail rides around Wales led by an instructor friend

Paul

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » September 6th, 2023, 12:01 am

There has never been a better time to choose a motorcycle. We're at peak development of the ICE and EV bike (I've ridden a couple) don't quite cut it. The choice is pretty comprehensive, but I assume that you'd like to keep around the same size and performance as your latter day 550. The choice of 4cyl small bikes is pretty limited on recent offering, so you'll probably have to accept that its going to be a twin, unless you go for an older model like a Honda Cb650f or r. In the sporty twin market I'd have a look at the Aprilia 650 Tuono for an engaging sporty ride, but without the back ache of low bars. If you wish to join the Adventure crowd, then the new Honda 750 Transalp is getting good reviews, the Suzuki 650 v strom is a smaller and lighter alternative, The other big trend has been for modern classics, here you could revisit your youth with a Suzuki Katana 2022 version, which isn't particularly fast and furious despite the 1000cc engine, hasn't sold well and is heavily discounted. Kawasaki z900rs is a more 'classic' looking bike. Triumph cover sporting and heritage so any of the 1200 twin iterations are a good ride. However, in line with your original bike, the Street Triple (various CC over the years) is a thrilling bike, excellent 3cyl engine and great value. Last a plug for my daily ride, the Ducati 939 (or 950) Supersport S. Characterful, light, sensible bars, tour-able, cheap(ish) to run and drop dead looks. Owned one for 6 years and not selling yet. I'll also plug its garage-mate, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 21.4hp of enormous fun on and off road. Cheap as chips. I'm a fan of RE, but the 650 Interceptor just doesn't have enough get up and go and like a small Bonneville so sluggish due weight. There are also (whisper it) some quite nice smaller BMW's, particularly the R9T range. Enjoy choosing the new ride. :D

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » September 6th, 2023, 2:09 pm

airbus330 wrote:There has never been a better time to choose a motorcycle. We're at peak development of the ICE and EV bike (I've ridden a couple) don't quite cut it. The choice is pretty comprehensive, but I assume that you'd like to keep around the same size and performance as your latter day 550. The choice of 4cyl small bikes is pretty limited on recent offering, so you'll probably have to accept that its going to be a twin, unless you go for an older model like a Honda Cb650f or r. In the sporty twin market I'd have a look at the Aprilia 650 Tuono for an engaging sporty ride, but without the back ache of low bars. If you wish to join the Adventure crowd, then the new Honda 750 Transalp is getting good reviews, the Suzuki 650 v strom is a smaller and lighter alternative, The other big trend has been for modern classics, here you could revisit your youth with a Suzuki Katana 2022 version, which isn't particularly fast and furious despite the 1000cc engine, hasn't sold well and is heavily discounted. Kawasaki z900rs is a more 'classic' looking bike. Triumph cover sporting and heritage so any of the 1200 twin iterations are a good ride. However, in line with your original bike, the Street Triple (various CC over the years) is a thrilling bike, excellent 3cyl engine and great value. Last a plug for my daily ride, the Ducati 939 (or 950) Supersport S. Characterful, light, sensible bars, tour-able, cheap(ish) to run and drop dead looks. Owned one for 6 years and not selling yet. I'll also plug its garage-mate, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 21.4hp of enormous fun on and off road. Cheap as chips. I'm a fan of RE, but the 650 Interceptor just doesn't have enough get up and go and like a small Bonneville so sluggish due weight. There are also (whisper it) some quite nice smaller BMW's, particularly the R9T range. Enjoy choosing the new ride. :D

Thanks for your reply,

I actually prefer Twins. Also, I am not looking for the same performance as my early 80's Katana, in fact, I am looking for the opposite and that is why I thought of the Interceptor 650, as its not a sports bike.
I have plenty of time at the moment before I make a choice but after reading BullDogs post I looked into the Bonneville's and my fist choice (at this moment) is the Street Twin 900. It has more than I need including riding modes & traction control etc and crucially it is not as heavy as the T100 and the seat is fairly low (I have short legs & one of them is weaker than the other). I haven't found a better all round bike than the street Twin 900 yet.

Thanks, D.L.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 6th, 2023, 2:13 pm

DelianLeague wrote:
airbus330 wrote:There has never been a better time to choose a motorcycle. We're at peak development of the ICE and EV bike (I've ridden a couple) don't quite cut it. The choice is pretty comprehensive, but I assume that you'd like to keep around the same size and performance as your latter day 550. The choice of 4cyl small bikes is pretty limited on recent offering, so you'll probably have to accept that its going to be a twin, unless you go for an older model like a Honda Cb650f or r. In the sporty twin market I'd have a look at the Aprilia 650 Tuono for an engaging sporty ride, but without the back ache of low bars. If you wish to join the Adventure crowd, then the new Honda 750 Transalp is getting good reviews, the Suzuki 650 v strom is a smaller and lighter alternative, The other big trend has been for modern classics, here you could revisit your youth with a Suzuki Katana 2022 version, which isn't particularly fast and furious despite the 1000cc engine, hasn't sold well and is heavily discounted. Kawasaki z900rs is a more 'classic' looking bike. Triumph cover sporting and heritage so any of the 1200 twin iterations are a good ride. However, in line with your original bike, the Street Triple (various CC over the years) is a thrilling bike, excellent 3cyl engine and great value. Last a plug for my daily ride, the Ducati 939 (or 950) Supersport S. Characterful, light, sensible bars, tour-able, cheap(ish) to run and drop dead looks. Owned one for 6 years and not selling yet. I'll also plug its garage-mate, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 21.4hp of enormous fun on and off road. Cheap as chips. I'm a fan of RE, but the 650 Interceptor just doesn't have enough get up and go and like a small Bonneville so sluggish due weight. There are also (whisper it) some quite nice smaller BMW's, particularly the R9T range. Enjoy choosing the new ride. :D

Thanks for your reply,

I actually prefer Twins. Also, I am not looking for the same performance as my early 80's Katana, in fact, I am looking for the opposite and that is why I thought of the Interceptor 650, as its not a sports bike.
I have plenty of time at the moment before I make a choice but after reading BullDogs post I looked into the Bonneville's and my fist choice (at this moment) is the Street Twin 900. It has more than I need including riding modes & traction control etc and crucially it is not as heavy as the T100 and the seat is fairly low (I have short legs & one of them is weaker than the other). I haven't found a better all round bike than the street Twin 900 yet.

Thanks, D.L.

Good choice I think. FWIW when you try out a Street Twin, try a T100 for size. You might be surprised.

There's really no such thing as a bad motorcycle amongst what you're looking at. Just find the one that suits you best.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 6th, 2023, 2:55 pm

airbus330 wrote:some quite nice smaller BMW's, particularly the R9T range

It is strange what is considered a smaller bike these days, I remember when 1200 twins were considered large ;)

Emissions regs have reigned in bike power of late, the days of 120Hp 600s has gone, but even now pretty much anything over 600cc will have similar power to their 50ish bHp 550, smaller ones tend to be tailored towards the restricted licence with less power. Modern twins are a lot more civilised than they were 30 years ago as well, and modern bikes have far far better brakes.

But it really is a case of what the OP wants.

Lightweight and sporty but good on road - you'd have to go a long way to beat a lightly used Triumph 675. Want faster? - GSXR750 - probably the best combination of track performance and <cough> useable road performance, although the Triumph 765 is supposed to give it a run for the money.

If you are thinking about weekends away then you'll want something more suited - quite a lot of Adventure bikes come with huge luggage capacity, but they are TALL. No, really tall. Go and have a try on one, but for someone getting back into bikes I suspect you'd find it very easy to overbalance. In fact one of the BMW 650/800 range or a Versys or Vstrom would probably be better all round than a full blown Charlie and Ewan circumnavigator.

As I said above, the people I know who have Himalayans love them, but they also all have other bikes, generally something bigger and faster. They've also always ridden, and aren't coming back to bikes. They're deliberately looking for something to slow the pace down for a gentle Sunday Bimble or want something they can handle easier with ageing mobility issues. Think of it as the motorcycling equivalent of a Honda Jazz.

Coming back to it you might soon begin to miss the ability to overtake things, miss the relative performance of what bikes were 30 years ago.

GO and sit on a few, book some testrides.

Paul

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 6th, 2023, 3:21 pm

He'll come home with 200 horsepower. I'll guarantee it. And his missus will go mental :D

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » September 6th, 2023, 11:11 pm

DelianLeague wrote:Thanks for your reply,

Thanks, D.L.

Well that makes the choosing a bit easier.
Bonny 900 216kg 65bhp
RE Interceptor 215kg 47bhp

Nothing wrong with either bike, but lightweight they are not.

Ducati Scambler (Ducati modern classic range is confusingly named Scrambler) 186kg 75bhp
A genuine classic Moto Guzzi V7 209kg and 64bhp
Left field choice Yamaha XSR700 (Yams take on classic) 186kg 74bhp
If you want real niche appeal the 2023 Fantic Caballero 700 175kg and c75bhp.

Worth a look. 180kg is a heck of a lot easier to push around than 216.

There is a reason why Triumph have struggled a bit to sell the 900 or T100 as it was. The RE does the same job but for considerably less cash. I am biased towards the Scrambler which is a hoot to ride. You may not think that the extra few bhp are important, but on the UK's busy roads, being able to do safe and quick overtaking is quite a benefit.

As said above, its actually quite hard to buy a rubbish bike in 2023, they're all pretty good! Do let us know what you buy :D

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 7th, 2023, 7:28 am

airbus330 wrote:
DelianLeague wrote:Thanks for your reply,

Thanks, D.L.

Well that makes the choosing a bit easier.
Bonny 900 216kg 65bhp
RE Interceptor 215kg 47bhp

Nothing wrong with either bike, but lightweight they are not.

Ducati Scambler (Ducati modern classic range is confusingly named Scrambler) 186kg 75bhp
A genuine classic Moto Guzzi V7 209kg and 64bhp
Left field choice Yamaha XSR700 (Yams take on classic) 186kg 74bhp
If you want real niche appeal the 2023 Fantic Caballero 700 175kg and c75bhp.

Worth a look. 180kg is a heck of a lot easier to push around than 216.

There is a reason why Triumph have struggled a bit to sell the 900 or T100 as it was. The RE does the same job but for considerably less cash. I am biased towards the Scrambler which is a hoot to ride. You may not think that the extra few bhp are important, but on the UK's busy roads, being able to do safe and quick overtaking is quite a benefit.

As said above, its actually quite hard to buy a rubbish bike in 2023, they're all pretty good! Do let us know what you buy :D

Funnily enough the two out of that list that pique my interest most are the Guzzi (long time Guzzi fan and ex owner). And the Fantic that has the same engine as the Yamaha. Largely because it's unlikely you'll ever park up next to another one, I like that thought.

I am finding my T100 a bit of a lump even though it's the not quite so obese air cooled one.

Very personal choice in the end, but I bought a used T100 in preference to a new(er) Enfield 650 solely because it feels chronically under powered to me. I think I am in a minority though and would certainly recommend trying one.

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » September 8th, 2023, 4:53 pm

I am open to different bikes, I have yet to look at the Kawasaki more closely. I will then make a short list and test a few.

D.L.

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » September 8th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Tedx wrote:He'll come home with 200 horsepower. I'll guarantee it. And his missus will go mental :D

I have already gone from looking 650's to looking at 900's.......Who knows were this could go. :lol:

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”