Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

IR(R) Rating (used to be called IMC)

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: IR(R) Rating (used to be called IMC)

Postby csearle » January 23rd, 2024, 8:07 pm

Although for me, to a large extent, this IR(R) journey is the destination, I hope to keep the skill alive by practising periodically. I read today¹ that anyone qualified to fly the aircraft in question can act as a safety pilot for practice instrument flight. So I hope to this end to enlist the services of friends (or maybe my son). C.

¹ On Page 56.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 23rd, 2024, 8:47 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:
An instructor of mine who had been a test pilot in the French airforce told me that in his view single pilot single engine in real IMC without an autopilot was by far the most demanding flying he had done outside the military.

I'd agree that it is easier in a twin than a single engined aircratft, which tends to get buffeted about. Pattern B came much more easily.

TJH

Although of course the irony is that in the ME IR test you spend a lot of the time flying around on one engine!

For any non-aviation geeks reading this thread, twin engined jets have loads of power and fly easily on one engine. Twin engined piston aircraft take real skill to keep in the air on one engine. The old joke is that the remaining (piston) engine gives you enough power to get to the scene of the crash.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » January 23rd, 2024, 11:42 pm

LoL that French guy was right. It is funny how the bigger the ac I flew got, the easier it became. Hand flying a Single engine ILS in a knackered old Aztec, another ballgame totally!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 24th, 2024, 8:50 am

Spet0789 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I'd agree that it is easier in a twin than a single engined aircratft, which tends to get buffeted about. Pattern B came much more easily.

TJH

Although of course the irony is that in the ME IR test you spend a lot of the time flying around on one engine!

For any non-aviation geeks reading this thread, twin engined jets have loads of power and fly easily on one engine. Twin engined piston aircraft take real skill to keep in the air on one engine. The old joke is that the remaining (piston) engine gives you enough power to get to the scene of the crash.

I trained on Oxfords, which had been mothballed at Halfpenny Green since WW2. Most had metal props but a few had wooden props. Rate of climb with metal about 1400 ft/min, on wooden props about 850 ft/min. If you lost an engine with metal props you could carry on round the circuit and land. With wooden props you spent your time looking for a forced landing field. Turning against the dead engine was a bit difficult. Easier to do a glide approach if you had enough height.

TJH

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 25th, 2024, 1:46 pm

csearle wrote:Although for me, to a large extent, this IR(R) journey is the destination, I hope to keep the skill alive by practising periodically. I read today¹ that anyone qualified to fly the aircraft in question can act as a safety pilot for practice instrument flight. So I hope to this end to enlist the services of friends (or maybe my son). C.

¹ On Page 56.

If Southend is handy for you, once you have your IR(R) fly your practice approaches there under IFR. You’re in controlled airspace under a radar control service so you’ll get traffic information on any VFR traffic. No need for a safety pilot in my view.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”