Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

IR(R) Rating (used to be called IMC)

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
csearle
Lemon Quarter

IR(R) Rating (used to be called IMC)

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 11:25 am

I'm re-doing my (restricted) instrument rating. On Friday, about 20 years after my previous attempt, I tried to do a so-called non-precision approach (with an instructor). In this case this meant that the track to the runway threshold was held by centering a needle on an instrument, and the descent was controlled by having 6 target altitudes, each a nautical mile apart.

I did it at Southend, approaching from the east. Cloud was simulated by wearing foggles so only the instruments can be seen.

This video is 25MB in size, so please be aware. It shows what I would have seen had I been staring out of the window. My main mistake this time was to use the aileron rather than the rudder to keep on track, which meant I was banked against the prevailing wind most of the time. My next attempt the next day went far better by changing the way I did it. I was also a bit fast (110 knots), which I also corrected the next time. We didn't land; we did a go-around and flew back to Rochester.

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: IR(R) Rating (used to be called IMC)

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 11:38 am

The following image (https://ukpilot.uk/240120.jpg, part of a screen shot of the excellent ADSB Exchange website) shows my route (on two of my approaches the day after the video). C.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 21st, 2024, 1:04 pm

Why is it wrong to do a banked crosswind approach rather than a slip?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 2:55 pm

quelquod wrote:Why is it wrong to do a banked crosswind approach rather than a slip?
Well it starts off well, just like one might do when adjusting course slightly during the cruise, but as the aeroplane gets closer to the runway any given deviation from the ideal track causes an ever greater deviation of the needle. I.e. it gets more sensitive and the corrective reaction needs to be ever more quickly taken.

A change in bank sets up a turn, which changes the heading, which brings the needle back to the centre. Before it gets there you have to bank less in order not to overshoot it, but not too little as not to make it. The whole process has a certain latency about it that makes it quite challenging to get right. With the rudder there is an almost instant sideways component to the aeroplane's movement, which is much easier to apply and remove quick enough to keep the needle in the middle and not have much (or any) overshoot.

This is the usual use of the rudder during any normal landing, the ailerons simply being used to keep the wings level (or dipped towards any side wind) so in fact it is quite intuitive for anyone who has made many landings.

C.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 21st, 2024, 3:28 pm

Good for you!

I hold an IR(R) and the confidence it has given me to fly in the often uncertain weather we have has transformed my VFR flying. To be honest, without it any kind of long trip depends either on having zero time pressure (including the flexibility to come back days later) or a perfect weather forecast!

I think only once in a decade have I taken off expecting to fly an approach at the other end, but knowing I can is a huge comfort.

I now sit behind a glass panel, but back in my steam gauge days flying NDB approaches and holds in foggles next to an instructor who told me I would fly to IR standards or not at all was tough stuff!

Though I am no instructor, it looks to me as if you perhaps needed to have in mind the 2k wind direction and the appropriate constant heading correction. Then of course you crab down the right track wings level. By coincidence I flew an ILS into Southend recently with a 15 knot full crosswind so flew down roughly 240 rather than the 233 final approach track.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 4:17 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Good for you!

I hold an IR(R) and the confidence it has given me to fly in the often uncertain weather we have has transformed my VFR flying. To be honest, without it any kind of long trip depends either on having zero time pressure (including the flexibility to come back days later) or a perfect weather forecast!

I think only once in a decade have I taken off expecting to fly an approach at the other end, but knowing I can is a huge comfort.

I now sit behind a glass panel, but back in my steam gauge days flying NDB approaches and holds in foggles next to an instructor who told me I would fly to IR standards or not at all was tough stuff!

Though I am no instructor, it looks to me as if you perhaps needed to have in mind the 2k wind direction and the appropriate constant heading correction. Then of course you crab down the right track wings level. By coincidence I flew an ILS into Southend recently with a 15 knot full crosswind so flew down roughly 240 rather than the 233 final approach track.
Yes I think you're right. I did keep reverting to the runway heading then getting blown off course again. It was my first approach in two decades so I was bound to mess up in some way or another. I also didn't trim, for some unknown reason, which made it all more stressy than need have been. Did much better the next day though, where there was also a wind, about 24kts 45° off the nose. Of course if I could have looked out of the window I would probably have subconsciously adopted a wind correction angle, but I was getting used again to the instrument perspective.

Anyway the show continues next Friday and Saturday, weather permitting. :) C.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 21st, 2024, 5:32 pm

Good luck! Make sure your instructor shows you a couple of RNAV approaches. If the aircraft has the kit for it. They’re amazing!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 7:17 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Good luck! Make sure your instructor shows you a couple of RNAV approaches. If the aircraft has the kit for it. They’re amazing!
Thank you. It has two Garmin G5s in it but no autopilot whatsoever. My instructor is telling me to use the steam VOR indicator and altimeter. Maybe there is a way of programming the G5's HSI up with the procedure so that I just have a crosshair for the whole approach? That would be good, even if I have to fly it myself. Probably not able to use it for the exam flight though, even if it's available. C.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 21st, 2024, 8:21 pm

csearle wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:Good luck! Make sure your instructor shows you a couple of RNAV approaches. If the aircraft has the kit for it. They’re amazing!
Thank you. It has two Garmin G5s in it but no autopilot whatsoever. My instructor is telling me to use the steam VOR indicator and altimeter. Maybe there is a way of programming the G5's HSI up with the procedure so that I just have a crosshair for the whole approach? That would be good, even if I have to fly it myself. Probably not able to use it for the exam flight though, even if it's available. C.

Back in the days when aviation was aviation, there was a device called a Dalton Computer, effectively a circular slide rule, I Believe. This was used to calculate course and heading allowing for wind velocity. Possibly also magnetic deviation.

Are there any around these days?

TJH

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 21st, 2024, 8:29 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
csearle wrote:Thank you. It has two Garmin G5s in it but no autopilot whatsoever. My instructor is telling me to use the steam VOR indicator and altimeter. Maybe there is a way of programming the G5's HSI up with the procedure so that I just have a crosshair for the whole approach? That would be good, even if I have to fly it myself. Probably not able to use it for the exam flight though, even if it's available. C.

Back in the days when aviation was aviation, there was a device called a Dalton Computer, effectively a circular slide rule, I Believe. This was used to calculate course and heading allowing for wind velocity. Possibly also magnetic deviation.

TJH

Yes, I got one 15 years ago when I started my PPL but have barely ever used it.

Then again, I don’t have a moustache either. What is aviation coming to?

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 21st, 2024, 8:35 pm

csearle wrote:

Not sure - I fly with G1000. I think it can be the NPA in your test but my recommendation would be to get the test done and then ask your instructor (or a flying mate if you have one to hand!) to show you an RNAV approach. NDB is dying and RNAV is the future.

You wouldn’t know it was a post from me without at least one reference to the “B” word… but we used to be able to use RNAV for precision approaches. Now they have been downgraded.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... k-airports

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 8:36 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
csearle wrote:Thank you. It has two Garmin G5s in it but no autopilot whatsoever. My instructor is telling me to use the steam VOR indicator and altimeter. Maybe there is a way of programming the G5's HSI up with the procedure so that I just have a crosshair for the whole approach? That would be good, even if I have to fly it myself. Probably not able to use it for the exam flight though, even if it's available. C.

TJH
Yes well I imagine that is what I call my "whizz wheel" that I always take with me and also never use. It has a circular slide rule on one side with some key factors indicated on it with little arrows and a wind correction angle plotter on the other. :) C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 8:41 pm

As an aside right at this moment this flight

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=471efe

a wizzair flight, has had three attempts at landing at Gatwick (very gusty), has flown over my flat pretty much each time, is on the sixth time around the hold over Crowborough and will at some point have to go for it! Gulp!

C.

Edit: he's just been released from the hold for attempt number four!
Edit: he's given up. Heading back east somewhere it seems.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2024, 8:52 pm

csearle wrote:As an aside right at this moment this flight

a wizzair flight, has had three attempts at landing at Gatwick (very gusty), has flown over my flat pretty much each time, is on the sixth time around the hold over Crowborough and will at some point have to go for it! Gulp!

I have flown commercially over 1,000 times and have only experienced two go-arounds. A BA 747 into SFO when a Southwest 737 dawdled on the runway, and an American A320 into San Antonio - cause not given.

Hope the wizzair has enough fuel left. I would love to hear the cockpit commentary.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 8:56 pm

Lootman wrote:
csearle wrote:As an aside right at this moment this flight

I have flown commercially over 1,000 times and have only experienced two go-arounds. A BA 747 into SFO when a Southwest 737 dawdled on the runway, and an American A320 into San Antonio - cause not given.

Hope the wizzair has enough fuel left. I would love to hear the cockpit commentary.
Yes, as you may already see, he's half way back to Holland.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 21st, 2024, 9:00 pm

csearle wrote:
Lootman wrote:I have flown commercially over 1,000 times and have only experienced two go-arounds. A BA 747 into SFO when a Southwest 737 dawdled on the runway, and an American A320 into San Antonio - cause not given.

Yes, as you may already see, he's half way back to Holland.

Oh yeah, why didn't the pilot ask for Luton, where his company has a large operation out of?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2024, 9:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
csearle wrote:Yes, as you may already see, he's half way back to Holland.

Oh yeah, why didn't the pilot ask for Luton, where his company has a large operation out of?
It's gusting to 50kts at Luton, 1kt more than at Gatwick. I think by now he needs a safe bet. Looks like he got a berth in Eindhofen. C.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » January 23rd, 2024, 4:38 pm

Good luck with your IR renewal. IR in a light aircraft is one of the most taxing tests. I remember being close to tears of joy and relief when I passed my Initial at Bournemouth with the "Smiling Assassin", as that particular examiner was nicknamed :D

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » January 23rd, 2024, 4:57 pm

airbus330 wrote:Good luck with your IR renewal. IR in a light aircraft is one of the most taxing tests. I remember being close to tears of joy and relief when I passed my Initial at Bournemouth with the "Smiling Assassin", as that particular examiner was nicknamed :D

An instructor of mine who had been a test pilot in the French airforce told me that in his view single pilot single engine in real IMC without an autopilot was by far the most demanding flying he had done outside the military.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 23rd, 2024, 7:57 pm

Spet0789 wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Good luck with your IR renewal. IR in a light aircraft is one of the most taxing tests. I remember being close to tears of joy and relief when I passed my Initial at Bournemouth with the "Smiling Assassin", as that particular examiner was nicknamed :D

An instructor of mine who had been a test pilot in the French airforce told me that in his view single pilot single engine in real IMC without an autopilot was by far the most demanding flying he had done outside the military.

I'd agree that it is easier in a twin than a single engined aircratft, which tends to get buffeted about. Pattern B came much more easily.

TJH

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”