Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Car hire USA - liability insurance required?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
zico
Lemon Quarter

Car hire USA - liability insurance required?

Postby zico » February 5th, 2024, 11:51 pm

We're planning on hiring a car in USA, and we already have an annual Excess Damage policy on car hire.

My question is about liability insurance - do we need to take this out separately for the US?

A supplementary question is also about normal car insurance - I believe this covers us to drive any car anywhere in Europe, but not sure about the world. I've had a look at my car insurance policy documents, but can't find anything that refers to driving other cars, either in Europe or the Rest of the World.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Car hire USA - liability insurance required?

Postby servodude » February 6th, 2024, 1:23 am

zico wrote:We're planning on hiring a car in USA, and we already have an annual Excess Damage policy on car hire.

My question is about liability insurance - do we need to take this out separately for the US?

A supplementary question is also about normal car insurance - I believe this covers us to drive any car anywhere in Europe, but not sure about the world. I've had a look at my car insurance policy documents, but can't find anything that refers to driving other cars, either in Europe or the Rest of the World.

Work out exactly what your existing Excess Damage policy actually covers you for, and also check with your current insurer if your are covered for 3rd party when driving in the US.... and then have a look at the website of the kind of firm you are expecting to hire from.

Typically there will be both additional Damage Waiver and Supplemental Liability Protection policies offered by the hirer
- added together they'll probably double the daily rate :(
- but they will reduce the amount of deposit taken (which can run to the thousands and be a bit of a pain depending on your card's limit and attitude to forex charges).. if you do incur claimable damage it will be paid out of this deposit before it is returned to you, which could be days after handing the car back and you will then have to claim on your home (or travel) policy for reimbursement

Travel insurance polices aimed at the US often cover the 3rd party liability component - or it can get added automatically if you book the hire from overseas
- but you really need to make sure given the terms of your car rental agreement

-sd

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 6th, 2024, 8:51 am

zico wrote:A supplementary question is also about normal car insurance - I believe this covers us to drive any car anywhere in Europe, but not sure about the world. I've had a look at my car insurance policy documents, but can't find anything that refers to driving other cars, either in Europe or the Rest of the World.

Generally the wording is along the lines of...
"The Policyholder may also drive cars not belonging to them provided the vehicle is not suject to a hire agreement or being used in conjunction with the motor trade. This cover is restricted to the legal minimum and does not apply outside of the UK. ie it excludes Hire Cars and test drives of dealer vehicles, and foreign use.

It was the latter that nearly caught us out when we used to go to France before we were married and shared the driving.

The relatively cheap Collision Damage Waiver Excess policy you can take will only cover the excess for accident damage - I have no idea if Personal Liability is an add on with US hire but I gather it is required in some states and a Very Good Idea in others.

Paul

Moosehoosenew
Lemon Pip

Postby Moosehoosenew » February 6th, 2024, 10:03 am

Excess car hire insurance companies like icar either cover Europe or if you wish rest of the World which covers you in US and Canada. My annual premium with icar including rest of the World was £99. This covered 2 trips to US 13 and 9 days and 1 week in Europe that year, I think good value.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”