Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Audi sensor alert

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Nemo
Lemon Slice

Audi sensor alert

Postby Nemo » February 7th, 2024, 3:23 pm

I've had a Q5 for about four years and have just had a red sensor alter. The car made a funny noise and then drove on as normal. I think that this happened three years ago as well.

Just checked online and found this warning from the RAC site

Red: there is a serious, and potentially dangerous problem - stop driving as soon as it is safe to do so

I didn't stop and just drove on as normal, the car working fine as far as I can tell.

Anyone any views on what I should do. I'm tempted to treat it as a random fault and ignore it, but would like to be sure.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Audi sensor alert

Postby Dod101 » February 7th, 2024, 4:02 pm

Nemo wrote:I've had a Q5 for about four years and have just had a red sensor alter. The car made a funny noise and then drove on as normal. I think that this happened three years ago as well.

Just checked online and found this warning from the RAC site

Red: there is a serious, and potentially dangerous problem - stop driving as soon as it is safe to do so

I didn't stop and just drove on as normal, the car working fine as far as I can tell.

Anyone any views on what I should do. I'm tempted to treat it as a random fault and ignore it, but would like to be sure.

I have a Q5. Personally I would take it to my usual service station and ask them to check it over. It may well be just a random glitch but these are expensive vehicles and I think worth getting checked out. On its own I might not bother but accompanied by a funny noise?

Dod

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 7th, 2024, 4:44 pm

On its own I might not bother but accompanied by a funny noise?

A funny noise that snt a vibration through the car and made a pedestrian turn round. All over in seconds.

I usually go to an excellent local garage, but would you consider a main dealer for this?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 7th, 2024, 4:55 pm

Without knowing which alert it was, we're not really able to say much. There are two red "pre-sense" lights on this page (at bottom left). Any help? https://www.waltersaudi.com/audi-warning-lights.htm.

Apparently, Audi pre-sense lights are to warn you of an imminent collision. (Whatever will they think of next?) They can be caused by being a bit too enthusiastic. But they can also be triggered just by a dirty sensor on the bumper. (Well, that's what it says here: https://dashboardwarning.com/audi-pre-s ... ing-light/

Otherwise I wouldn't ignore a red light, whatever it was.

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 7th, 2024, 5:17 pm

Nemo wrote:
On its own I might not bother but accompanied by a funny noise?

A funny noise that snt a vibration through the car and made a pedestrian turn round. All over in seconds.

I usually go to an excellent local garage, but would you consider a main dealer for this?

I think I probably would but if you are confident with your local garage why not? I use the main dealer but they are more expensive.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 7th, 2024, 5:31 pm

Nemo wrote:I've had a Q5 for about four years and have just had a red sensor alter. The car made a funny noise and then drove on as normal. I think that this happened three years ago as well.

My Rambler doesn't suffer from 'sensors' but I do like to investigate funny noises.
Today I have begun dissecting the front suspension in pursuit of a clonk.
Ignoring funny noises can be expensive, the more so in a modern car.

V8

Golam
Lemon Pip

Postby Golam » February 7th, 2024, 5:43 pm

I have has VW vehicles for many years. As you may be aware VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat engines have much in common. They share the same diagnostic systems. It is not difficult to connect a diagnostic 'box' to the engine's ecu connection which is in an accessible location below the dashboard. It is then possible to read faults that are displayed on the dash. To help further, the fault code(s) can be googled or located on youtube. Should you be able to rectify the fault yourself, the fault code can then be cleared.
The box that covers all of the above mentioned makes is the Autophix V007. Cost c£80. I am not connected to that firm nor am I a motor mechanic.

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 7th, 2024, 5:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Without knowing which alert it was, we're not really able to say much. There are two red "pre-sense" lights on this page (at bottom left). Any help? https://www.waltersaudi.com/audi-warning-lights.htm.

Apparently, Audi pre-sense lights are to warn you of an imminent collision. (Whatever will they think of next?) They can be caused by being a bit too enthusiastic. But they can also be triggered just by a dirty sensor on the bumper. (Well, that's what it says here: https://dashboardwarning.com/audi-pre-s ... ing-light/

Otherwise I wouldn't ignore a red light, whatever it was.

BJ

Thanks BJ. I'm not 100% sure (it happened so fast and for such a short time) but I'd say that it was the top red one - "central indicator light" whatever that is. If it is just a bulb gone/going then I don't understand the vibration/noise.

I was driving slowly on a road that had a lot of traffic calming measure, lots of varying ups and downs, and I always have the car in offroad as i prefer driving like this.

I'll give my local garage a ring tomorrow. I've been going there for years and have complete confidence in them.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 7th, 2024, 10:26 pm

I'm a bit puzzled. I have an old Audi SQ5 and I don't think it has warning lights. Messages come up on the display that tell you in words if stuff is wrong. Or mebbe I've just never had a red light fault to date!

The manual for it is some 350 pages long so oddly, I've not had time to read it all yet....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 8th, 2024, 9:15 am

Mike4 wrote:I'm a bit puzzled. I have an old Audi SQ5 and I don't think it has warning lights. Messages come up on the display that tell you in words if stuff is wrong. Or mebbe I've just never had a red light fault to date!

I've spent all of 60 seconds perusing this, but from what I understand you're supposed to get the Central Indicator light plus a textual description of what's gone wrong. So you might both be right?

But these warning light thingies can be very confusing, especially since VW/Audi seem to fit such a variety of them. I remember when my old Passat (57 reg) started emitting a deep bong from the dash every time I took a right-hand bend. It was well after midnight, and I was on a long narrow lane - so I stopped but then decided to drive on carefully.

The next morning showed that my brake fluid was at just above the warning level. (Nothing suspicious, just piston travel.) And every time I took a right-hander, centrifugal force carried the reservoir fluid over to one side, so that the other side was down and the low level warning sounder went off. There wasn't a word about any of this in the owner's manual, which didn't mention the sounder at all. Sheesh. :|

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 8th, 2024, 10:03 am

In 4 years this is the first such warning? Based on my experience of the frequency of Audi ( A6 ) warning messages .....!

My 2 year old ( v. low mileage) A6 seems to like to flash up warning messages. I note BJ's comment regarding brake fluid level warning sounds...that might explain why a get a loud warning 'bong ' when pulling out onto a main road from a service road? ....The turn is 90 degrees onto the main road and the entry is on a gentle downhill slope. I happened to notice that brake fluid level was at the minimum level.

Lane departure warning: I turn this off as soon as I start the car....every time. I REALLY do not like this feature. I would disable it permanently.

Pre sense has kicked in just once when the car ahead of me in the right hand lane veered across my path to negotiate a roundabout. Brakes applied.

The pre sense might have flashed up just the other day during open road driving with no vehicle remotely close. During the same journey I had a grey out of the main central console screen..just for a few seconds. My wife in the passenger seat didn't notice it.

I occasionally get a " limited visibility " warning message....I must look up what this means !

I'm slightly concerned that as the car gets older these messages might become more frequent!

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 8th, 2024, 10:40 am

Diagnostic at a good local independent garage should at least identify the fault. I would not ignore it. Don't forget to clear the fault afterwards.

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 8th, 2024, 12:26 pm

Oggy wrote:Diagnostic at a good local independent garage should at least identify the fault. I would not ignore it. Don't forget to clear the fault afterwards.

I've just spoken to the owner of the garage that I use. He's picking the car up tomorrow morning. If this had happened two or three years ago i would have had to wait until later next week! I've heard that garages are suffering a bit.

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » February 8th, 2024, 12:37 pm

I've just spoken to the owner of the garage that I use. He's picking the car up tomorrow morning. If this had happened two or three years ago i would have had to wait until later next week! I've heard that garages are suffering a bit

Fair enough. He should be able to plug in his reader in to an OBD port and tell you what the fault means at least. Hopefully an easy fix. My local garage is always busy, but he is very good!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 8th, 2024, 1:43 pm

Nemo wrote:I've just spoken to the owner of the garage that I use. He's picking the car up tomorrow morning. If this had happened two or three years ago i would have had to wait until later next week! I've heard that garages are suffering a bit.

Interesting, my excellent (and long-term) local indy is worked off his feet at the moment. A year ago, he told me he was thinking of selling the business, but now he's taking bookings a week or ten days ahead. Mind you, he still found time to squeeze us in last weekend when my wife's clutch went south. It's nice that there are still garages who appreciate their regular customers. :)

BJ

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » February 8th, 2024, 3:37 pm

It's nice that there are still garages who appreciate their regular customers. :)

Yes, perhaps he's just doing me a favour and fitting me in. He's looked after our two cars for over 20 years and gets paid the day he sends the bill!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 8th, 2024, 6:07 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Mind you, he still found time to squeeze us in last weekend when my wife's clutch went south.
BJ

A clutch???

How quaint :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 8th, 2024, 6:30 pm

DrFfybes wrote:A clutch???

Aye, you're right. Some of us aren't ready yet to have our driving decisions taken for us. :D

I've known three autos in my life. I suppose the Rover was all right until the gearbox failed. The Vauxhall was as lumpy as hell. And the Range Rover was all right until the gearbox failed. Twice.

I can spot a trend as well as the next man. :lol:

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 8th, 2024, 6:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

Aye, you're right. Some of us aren't ready yet to have our driving decisions taken for us. :D

I've known three autos in my life. I suppose the Rover was all right until the gearbox failed. The Vauxhall was as lumpy as hell. And the Range Rover was all right until the gearbox failed. Twice.

I can spot a trend as well as the next man. :lol:

BJ

I can spot a trend too!!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 8th, 2024, 8:48 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

I've known three autos in my life.

Our 30+ year old Toyota is an auto, a 1.6. About a decade ago I wondered about changing the gearbox oil, but it is still up to the max on the dipstick and quite a clear red colour so I gather it is best left alone.

If you get your mindset into Bimbling up to speed then it is very relaxing to drive.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”