Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

The Electric Car Shock

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Electric Car Shock

Postby 9873210 » April 12th, 2024, 6:54 pm

scotview wrote:Here's the thing. isn't this just something that the Wests' press is conjuring up. To me it seems that most of you on here have taken it hook line and, very heavy, sinker.

Are you lot not staring in the face of a (Chinese/Eastern) society that is far, far above anything we in the west can achieve or produce.

Because they have drive, intellect, learning ability, seek peace and are inscrutably humble.

Just saying.

Come the revolution, your browser history will not save you.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » April 12th, 2024, 7:10 pm

9873210 wrote:
Come the revolution, your browser history will not save you.

Well, what exactly do you believe ?? Lay it out like I do. Sum it up in a few lines of concise text. Oh aye, and don't be snide, I'm not.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 12th, 2024, 7:27 pm

You can use googlemaps without having location or data switched on. Just download the maps to your phone. It will work just fine, but without live traffic data. Not sure about Applemaps though.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 12th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Redmires wrote:You can use googlemaps without having location or data switched on. Just download the maps to your phone. It will work just fine, but without live traffic data. Not sure about Applemaps though.

Silly me. You need location 'on' but if you have data 'off' then you're location won't be shared with anyone, including Silicon Valley or China.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 12th, 2024, 11:44 pm

scotview wrote:Here's the thing. isn't this just something that the Wests' press is conjuring up. To me it seems that most of you on here have taken it hook line and, very heavy, sinker.

Are you lot not staring in the face of a (Chinese/Eastern) society that is far, far above anything we in the west can achieve or produce.

Because they have drive, intellect, learning ability, seek peace and are inscrutably humble.

Just saying.

I've found their developers not very good at handling daylight savings code though; sometime to do with not experiencing it, and just having a single time zone.
Which is probably no worse really than the half hour zone nutjobs though

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 13th, 2024, 9:27 am

Redmires wrote:
Redmires wrote:You can use googlemaps without having location or data switched on. Just download the maps to your phone. It will work just fine, but without live traffic data. Not sure about Applemaps though.

Silly me. You need location 'on' but if you have data 'off' then you're location won't be shared with anyone, including Silicon Valley or China.

Of course the paranoid might assume it will upload your location history once it's back online (depending on settings).

Scott.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » April 13th, 2024, 9:31 am

swill453 wrote:
Redmires wrote:

Of course the paranoid might assume it will upload your location history once it's back online (depending on settings).

Scott.

Yes

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 13th, 2024, 9:34 am

swill453 wrote:Of course the paranoid might assume it will upload your location history once it's back online (depending on settings).

I'd be surprised if it didn't. I'm of the opinion that all the data on my phone is collected, once harvested is collated and then sold or stored until it can be sold while at risk of being stolen.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 13th, 2024, 9:38 am

Redmires wrote:

Sure about that? ;) You can still be located by the mobile phone signal. I have one phone with no mobile data included and Location switched off, and it still lets me know when I've arrived in another country, from the phone masts. I believe that a phone can be located more precisely by the phone company looking at the relative strength of mast signals received by the phone.

Seeing how Vodafone operates, I wouldn't put it past them to sell all this data to the highest bidder, or maybe it's taken from them anyway.

Any privacy we have disappeared many years ago.

Steve ... off to buy a bigger aluminium hat. :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 13th, 2024, 9:42 am

Imbiber wrote:
swill453 wrote:Of course the paranoid might assume it will upload your location history once it's back online (depending on settings).

Yes

Possibly O/T, but I'm reminded of the story about how the Strava running app gave away the location of a US military base in Afghanistan that was supposed to be secret. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... army-bases.

Fortunately, though, that was friendly fire from a solid all-American company. It's a good job the Chinese aren't that intelligent, isn't it? ;)

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”