Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Selling a car outright

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Selling a car outright

Postby 6Tricia » April 4th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I've enjoyed driving for more than 50 years but have reluctantly decided that the time has come to give up my licence due to health reasons. It has taken me over a year to come to this decision and I started by purchasing a mobility scooter last October. Now, my car sits in the driveway most of the time while I 'scoot' into town for shopping! The scooter has made a huge difference to my life :).

I haven't driven any distances for the past six years so that although the car is almost 11 years old it only has 6100 miles on the clock from new and is in very good condition.

Details: Suzuki Jimny, dark blue, purchased 15 September 2006.
Automatic, rear parking sensors
New battery last year.

For the first few years it was serviced regularly, but I haven't kept it up. All the MOT's have been passed without any problems.

So, my question is - what is the best way to sell it?

According to Autotrader it should be worth in the region of 4 - 5k???

I'd be grateful for some advice.

Tricia

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Selling a car outright

Postby redsturgeon » April 4th, 2017, 6:41 pm

It depends how much hassle you want. If you are happy with listing the car on Autotrader answering phone queries and showing people the car at your home and possibly letting them test drive it, dealing with wide boys offering silly low prices and trying to get the car for less than it is worth, then that is probably your best bet.

If you don't feel confident with that then do you have a more car savvy friend who could help?

If you don't want the hassle then go on the webuyanycar.com website, put in your reg number and they will give you an instant offer. You will need to drive it to them though.

John

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » April 4th, 2017, 8:00 pm

If you don't have the appetite for various tyre kickers visiting your house, expect webuyanycar or similar outfit to offer about 50% less than what you probably have in mind.
Pop into some local car dealers and see what they offer you. You may be pleasantly surprised after a derisory webuyanycar offer.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » April 4th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Thanks both!

I checked with Autotrader who suggested an asking price of £4560 then signed up with webuyanycar. They have made me an offer of £4415, so I've made an appointment to see them locally on Friday! I think it's best to bite the bullet and get it over with :| . (The price seems fair enough) - so - the end of an era sadly :( .

There will be a quick last trip to the tip tomorrow, followed by a good clean and valeting locally and then I hope I can get to the appointment before the young seagulls mess all over it again :roll: Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly :!: .

Tricia

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 5th, 2017, 12:21 am

webuyanycar will honour the price as long as all is OK with the car as you have described it. They will take off about £90 for any panel that has a mark that needs fixing, so as long as you have no scrapes or scratches then you are fine. They are a fair outfit and not rip off merchants, I have use them and was very satisfied with the service.

Those people who suggest they offer about 50% of the true value are talking rubbish.

John

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » April 5th, 2017, 12:35 am

redsturgeon wrote:webuyanycar will honour the price as long as all is OK with the car as you have described it. They will take off about £90 for any panel that has a mark that needs fixing, so as long as you have no scrapes or scratches then you are fine. They are a fair outfit and not rip off merchants, I have use them and was very satisfied with the service.

Those people who suggest they offer about 50% of the true value are talking rubbish.

John

A while back I got three quotes for a car I was thinking of selling/part-ex-ing. In the end I kept the car.

WBAC were the lowest, at £6.3k.
Evans Halshaw offered £7.0k but hinted they might be able to go higher.
County Motor Works offered £7.6k.

The cars I was thinking of buying from EH and CMW were both very sensibly priced so I don't think either would have moved much on price, making WBAC's offer by far the worst.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 5th, 2017, 7:12 am

BT63 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:webuyanycar will honour the price as long as all is OK with the car as you have described it. They will take off about £90 for any panel that has a mark that needs fixing, so as long as you have no scrapes or scratches then you are fine. They are a fair outfit and not rip off merchants, I have use them and was very satisfied with the service.

John

A while back I got three quotes for a car I was thinking of selling/part-ex-ing. In the end I kept the car.

WBAC were the lowest, at £6.3k.
Evans Halshaw offered £7.0k but hinted they might be able to go higher.
County Motor Works offered £7.6k.

The cars I was thinking of buying from EH and CMW were both very sensibly priced so I don't think either would have moved much on price, making WBAC's offer by far the worst.

Clearly the offers from WBAC will vary in their competitiveness against other companies depending on the car concerned but the good thing about WBAC is that by typing in your reg number you can get an almost instant offer. I have no doubt that for some cars WBAC will not offer as much as you might get elsewhere but talks of 50% of your expected price, unless your expectations are unrealistic are unfounded IME.

When I upgraded my last car WBAC offered me about the same price as similar cars were being sold by the dealers at that time so I could not see how I could beat the price by trying to sell privately. The fact that the price was over £20k for this vehicle may have affected my decision since many people will not pay that sort of money to a private individual and I was offered about £1k less in part ex. or directly contacting the main dealer who originally sold me the car. So in my case for that car WBAC was the highest bidder.

Two weeks ago I got a quote for my five year old Lexus from WBAC, it was for £8000. Similar cars were for sale on Autotrader for prices from £8000 to £8900. I advertised at £8500 with Autotrader and received several offers ranging from £7200 to £7500 over the phone. I eventually sold, after a hard haggling session, for £8100. If I had held out I "may" have got as much as £8200 or even £8300 but not a million miles away from the WBAC offer.

If you look at the car in question here, the Suzuki, similar cars with somewhat higher mileage (but there comes a point where a "really" low mileage might not always be a benefit) are for sale at prices from £4000 to £5000 from both private individuals and dealers. In that case it seems to me that the £4415 is a very fair offer and given the circumstances of the OP likely to be the least hassle free way of achieving her realistic expectations of between £4-5K.

I have also used the WBAC instant quote system as a sense check on prices being asked for cars on Autotrader and they do indeed offer significantly lower prices than are being asked for some vehicles, but I see that as a reflection of unrealistic prices being asked rather than WBAC trying to lowball. Their system is based on following up to date auction prices actually being achieved and I have had situations where one price offered has been raised a week later. Of course they need to make money to survive so in many/most cases they will not offer the highest price achievable otherwise they could not make money but as a simple method of getting a realistic price on your car it does what it says on the tin.

John

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 5th, 2017, 8:58 am

I think you also need to consider whether comparing WBAC with part-ex is fair. Dealers will sometimes inflate the part-ex price rather than giving a bigger discount. How it's accounted for matters to them. The customer should only worry about the net cost.

P/ex is not relevant to the OP though.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » April 5th, 2017, 10:23 am

chas49 wrote:I think you also need to consider whether comparing WBAC with part-ex is fair. Dealers will sometimes inflate the part-ex price rather than giving a bigger discount...

That's why, at the end of my post, I mentioned that both EH and CMW cars were already very competitively priced and I wouldn't expect them to move much if at all on their asking price, so the only worthwhile haggling would have been the p/x value.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » April 5th, 2017, 10:32 am

With regards to the WBAC offer price, expect them to continually knock the price down when they see it. Much will be made of every mark and blemish.

Still, if a quick solution brings you peace of mind then why not.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 5th, 2017, 10:37 am

BT63 wrote:That's why, at the end of my post, I mentioned that both EH and CMW cars were already very competitively priced and I wouldn't expect them to move much if at all on their asking price, so the only worthwhile haggling would have been the p/x value.

I agree with the other poster. comparing WBAC cash offer against P/X prices is an unfair comparison. The dealer will be taking the profit margin on the car sale into account, also the possibility of extras like finance etc.

Scott.

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » April 5th, 2017, 10:49 am

swill453 wrote:
BT63 wrote:That's why, at the end of my post, I mentioned that both EH and CMW cars were already very competitively priced and I wouldn't expect them to move much if at all on their asking price, so the only worthwhile haggling would have been the p/x value.

I agree with the other poster. comparing WBAC cash offer against P/X prices is an unfair comparison. The dealer will be taking the profit margin on the car sale into account, also the possibility of extras like finance etc.

Scott.

But WBAC make a big noise about how having cash to buy your next car is an advantage. My experience suggests otherwise.
If I'd sold to WBAC and gone to buy one of the well-priced cars at EH or CMW I'd have £700-1300 less to spend and with a very competitively priced car a dealer isn't going to move much on price.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 5th, 2017, 10:56 am

BT63 wrote:But WBAC make a big noise about how having cash to buy your next car is an advantage. My experience suggests otherwise.
If I'd sold to WBAC and gone to buy one of the well-priced cars at EH or CMW I'd have £700-1300 less to spend and with a very competitively priced car a dealer isn't going to move much on price.

I agree with that. If I was buying at a dealer I'd definitely go P/X. However if I just wanted rid of a car I'd consider WBAC.

Scott.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 5th, 2017, 11:00 am

My experience with my wife's A Class Merc was that WBAC offered more than the dealer did in P/Ex.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » April 5th, 2017, 11:16 am

Out of curiosity what do WBAC do with the cars they buy ?

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 5th, 2017, 11:43 am

poundcoin wrote:Out of curiosity what do WBAC do with the cars they buy ?

Send them to auction I believe?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 5th, 2017, 12:07 pm

chas49 wrote:

Yes.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » April 5th, 2017, 5:57 pm

chas49 wrote:

Crikey and I always assumed auctions were the cheapest places to buy from . Makes you wonder where the profit is by the time they've delivered to the auction house and paid the commision etc .

Rooky102

Postby Rooky102 » April 5th, 2017, 10:49 pm

WeBuyAnyCar is part of the British Car Auctions group (now BCA).

There has to be room for WBAC operating profit, then profit at the BCA auction, then sold to a dealer - many of whom sell through Autotrader and also make a profit.

It is very difficult to see how a WBAC offer can get any where near a direct sale through Autotrader. One has to pay for the convenience, and many people are willing to do this, hence the business has been very successful.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 6th, 2017, 7:48 am

Yes I agree.
I find it surprising how so many contributors to this thread are wrong about WBAC.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”