Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Insurance for van hire

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Insurance for van hire

Postby raybarrow » September 4th, 2017, 10:54 am

Hi,

How does the insurance work if you hire small van for a couple of days. It's not clear ( to me at any rate) if the insurance is all covered by the hire company as they mention the customer having 3rd party insurance. I am not talking about the CDW bit.

Daughter going back to Uni this time with extra stuff. Not sure yet if I can get it in the car + roof box.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Insurance for van hire

Postby swill453 » September 4th, 2017, 11:00 am

raybarrow wrote:Hi,

How does the insurance work if you hire small van for a couple of days. It's not clear ( to me at any rate) if the insurance is all covered by the hire company as they mention the customer having 3rd party insurance.

All my policies have excluded cover for driving hired vehicles. What words do they use exactly? Do you have a web link?

Scott.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » September 7th, 2017, 7:50 am

Hi Scott,

I've re-read the bits, Janet and John style. It concerns the fact that you must report any accident to your own insurers as well as the hire company. Also that and some rental agreements can have a 'Third Party Excluded' clause in them that you need to be aware of (then of course you can purchase extra cover for that, how kind of them).

I get it now.

Pobably won't need it now as I will make two journeys. Daughter has bought a horse so there is extra stuff to go back, but doesn't all need to be there on the same day.

Thanks,
Ray.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 7th, 2017, 8:40 am

raybarrow wrote:I've re-read the bits, Janet and John style. It concerns the fact that you must report any accident to your own insurers as well as the hire company.

I'd presume that's just because your own insurance needs to know about any accidents you've been in, so they can increase your next premium because you're a higher risk. Not because your own policy will cover the accident in any way.

raybarrow wrote:Also that and some rental agreements can have a 'Third Party Excluded' clause in them that you need to be aware of (then of course you can purchase extra cover for that, how kind of them).

I'd find it difficult to believe you could hire a van and not get Third Party cover, maybe with an excess. And again, your policy won't cover you.

Scott.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”