Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What in-car invention are you waiting for?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

What in-car invention are you waiting for?

Postby bungeejumper » October 3rd, 2017, 9:53 am

Having started this ball rolling, I'll take it a bit further. Apart from self-driving cars that can cope with cyclists, deer in the road and pushchairs (and which know the split-second difference between them), what would you like to see becoming mainstream?

We already have the technology for dashboards that can prevent a car from starting if the driver's breath smells of alcohol, but AFAIK nobody's using it. On a simpler level, I'd like a way of saying thanks (or sorry!) to the car behind me. Or maybe "turn your fog lights off, granny" to the car in front.

Or maybe just self-levelling HIDs that can reliably self-level on an undulating road? ;)

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: What in-car invention are you waiting for?

Postby richlist » October 3rd, 2017, 10:43 am

Id like to see some means of removing rude, inconsiderate, tailgating, arrogant, speeding, dangerous BMW & Audi drivers from our roads.......that would remove over 90% of them and make life far more pleasant for the rest of us.

Can't see it happening any time soon.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 3rd, 2017, 11:43 am

Snorvey wrote:How about an in car tyre pressure sensor that actually tells you which tyre is underinflated?

Ok, maybe that's actually been done on more expensive cars. Still I guess the good thing is, it makes you check all the tyre pressures.

Done: e.g. https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar ... d-sensors/ for an add-on to your existing chariot.

(I have one and you've reminded me that it's showing I need to put a little air into the rear nearside tyre - thanks! :) )

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 3rd, 2017, 11:59 am

Front and rear dash cams fitted as standard on all new cars, we're seeing it more and more with satnavs, so this can't be too far away now surely ...

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 3rd, 2017, 12:02 pm

bungeejumper wrote: On a simpler level, I'd like a way of saying thanks (or sorry!) to the car behind me. Or maybe "turn your fog lights off, granny" to the car in front.

And as a courtesy to drivers on opposing carriageways, especially motorways, some sort of universally understood signal to get off the road now because there's a massive standstill traffic jam starting about 5 miles ahead of you ...

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 3rd, 2017, 12:08 pm

Snorvey wrote:Good idea, but they look like extremely thieveable tyre dustcaps though. Or maybe they're not meant to be left on all the time?

How about some sort of device that lets you see what is coming when backing out of a supermarket car parking space when surrounded by enormous, silly 4x4 Range Rooneys?

I've had them for over a year and not had any nicked yet, despite being left on permanently. I suppose they could be nickable, but without the display unit they're not much use, except to another user who'se lost one. I think they're a temporary fix, AIUI all new cars have to have sensors fitted anyway? Certainly Mrs VRD's latest purchase came with the sensors, but just an alarm, no constant readout.

As for the supermarket conundrum, reverse in rather than drive forwards, if you can still get to to the boot to put the shopping away ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 3rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

richlist wrote:Id like to see some means of removing rude, inconsiderate, tailgating, arrogant, speeding, dangerous BMW & Audi drivers from our roads....Can't see it happening any time soon.

No, but for the tailgaters there's a sticker that reads: "Keep back. Car runs on prune juice" :lol:

BJ

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm

moorfield wrote:
bungeejumper wrote: On a simpler level, I'd like a way of saying thanks (or sorry!) to the car behind me. Or maybe "turn your fog lights off, granny" to the car in front.

And as a courtesy to drivers on opposing carriageways, especially motorways, some sort of universally understood signal to get off the road now because there's a massive standstill traffic jam starting about 5 miles ahead of you ...

I once had an oncoming driver swivel his downward pointing hand at me. A mile later I realised he was trying to tell me I would have to turn round and find another route, as he had just done, because the police had closed the road due to an accident.

Fortunately this was a normal single carriageway road so turning round was an option and our cars passed close enough for me to see his gesture. That's not going to work across a central reservation when drivers need to be focussing their attention on the carriageway they're on. I can't think of anything that could be done with lights that wouldn't be interpreted as being for the 'benefit' of a driver on the opposite carriageway.

Watis

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm

richlist wrote:Id like to see some means of removing rude, inconsiderate, tailgating, arrogant, speeding, dangerous BMW & Audi drivers from our roads.......that would remove over 90% of them and make life far more pleasant for the rest of us.

Can't see it happening any time soon.

I thought Brexit was going to solve this, with the impending backlog of all the ports and subsequent scarcity of German cars? :lol:

(Sorry for mentioning the "B" word!)

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » October 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm

A pop up boxing glove to punch in car mobile users in the ear, alternatively something that released a very nasty fart and locked the windows.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » October 3rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Something to stop general dirt / crisps, my usb pendrive (for Digital Radio), coins dropping down between centre console and the seat . Or at least a vacuum cleaner crevice tool that fitted the small gap.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » October 3rd, 2017, 3:40 pm

Snorvey wrote:How about an in car tyre pressure sensor that actually tells you which tyre is underinflated?

Ok, maybe that's actually been done on more expensive cars. Still I guess the good thing is, it makes you check all the tyre pressures.

Already done on mine. This is a screenshot of the app on my phone that connects to the car:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 3rd, 2017, 3:40 pm

Actually, what I'd like to see is electric battery standardisation and swapability: just like I can swap an empty calor gas cylinder for a full one, I'd like to be able to pull into a petrol station and have a machine swap my discharged battery for a full one - maybe even crediting me for the residual charge when paying for the "fill-up". Ideally the prices advertised will be for kWh rather than L!

That way, a battery that can do 200 miles means I can drive from one end of the country to the other with just short stops. The forecourts would have all the charging infrastructure and charge for kWh supplied. Gets rid of all this "where can I park overnight and charge my car? malarky and negates the need for any petrol or diesel at all.

Probably cheaper to develop than random charging points all over the country and battery recharging can be managed with grid peaks and troughs.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 3rd, 2017, 3:57 pm

moorfield wrote:Front and rear dash cams fitted as standard on all new cars, we're seeing it more and more with satnavs, so this can't be too far away now surely ...

Any dashcam at all that doesn't dangle down from the mirror and get into my effing field of vision, dammit. I mean crikey chaps, how hard can it be to make one that conceals tidily behind the mirror body?

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm

vrdiver wrote:As for the supermarket conundrum, reverse in rather than drive forwards, if you can still get to to the boot to put the shopping away ;)

You still can't see past the Tonka Toys until you are almost out of the space :cry:

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 3rd, 2017, 5:11 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
moorfield wrote:Front and rear dash cams fitted as standard on all new cars, we're seeing it more and more with satnavs, so this can't be too far away now surely ...

Any dashcam at all that doesn't dangle down from the mirror and get into my effing field of vision, dammit. I mean crikey chaps, how hard can it be to make one that conceals tidily behind the mirror body?

BJ

I just need them to replace the mirror with a camera and screen, and for the screen to not be in my field of vision the way the mirror is.

For the camera, I place it in front of the passenger where there is nothing on the glass to prevent the sucker working, that way it is high enough that I can't see most of it past the mirror.

Slarti

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 3rd, 2017, 6:29 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Having started this ball rolling, I'll take it a bit further. Apart from self-driving cars that can cope with cyclists, deer in the road and pushchairs (and which know the split-second difference between them), what would you like to see becoming mainstream?
BJ

"Passenger Mute, ejector seats, or

https://media.giphy.com/media/cRH5deQTgTMR2/giphy.gif

Paul

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 4th, 2017, 8:10 am

1. Space Saver spare wheel locations on a car that will also accept the punctured wheel off of the car. It's incredibly annoying to find that the wheel off the car won't fit the space allocated in the boot.

2. A device that will disable any mobile phone in a vehicle whilst the engine is running.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 4th, 2017, 9:16 am

richlist wrote:2. A device that will disable any mobile phone in a vehicle whilst the engine is running.

What, all functions? That'll be the end of the traffic information from the satnav, then. AIUI, nearly all the current standalone satnavs rely on a Bluetooth link to the phone to be able to get this info. And for those who use their phones as their only satnav devices, it'll presumably be game over.

Are you sure you want to disable the passengers' phones as well? And what about the only situation where you're allowed to call while driving - where you feel you're in danger and daren't stop? One driver reported a recent loony, for a start. ;) www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41423417

My heart's with you, but it's going to be a bit more difficult than just jamming the phones.

BJ

TimR
2 Lemon pips

Postby TimR » October 4th, 2017, 11:58 am

DrFfybes wrote:"Passenger Mute, ejector seats, or

https://media.giphy.com/media/cRH5deQTgTMR2/giphy.gif

Paul

That's what I need ! My wife drives me mad when I am driving !

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”