Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What in-car invention are you waiting for?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: What in-car invention are you waiting for?

Postby richlist » October 4th, 2017, 12:50 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
richlist wrote:2. A device that will disable any mobile phone in a vehicle whilst the engine is running.

What, all functions? That'll be the end of the traffic information from the satnav, then. AIUI, nearly all the current standalone satnavs rely on a Bluetooth link to the phone to be able to get this info. And for those who use their phones as their only satnav devices, it'll presumably be game over.

Are you sure you want to disable the passengers' phones as well? And what about the only situation where you're allowed to call while driving - where you feel you're in danger and daren't stop? One driver reported a recent loony, for a start. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41423417

My heart's with you, but it's going to be a bit more difficult than just jamming the phones.

BJ

Yes everything.

Many new cars have built in Sat navs, the radio provides traffic info and I feel sorry for anyone who can't travel in a car for an hour without using their mobile phone.

There is always going to be the exception but I don't think there are many loonies around to worry about.

I'm more concerned about idiots who want to drive and use their phones at the same time.......there seems to be far more of them.....personally I'd just execute them but I recognise some will consider that a little harsh.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 4th, 2017, 5:20 pm

richlist wrote:1. Space Saver spare wheel locations on a car that will also accept the punctured wheel off of the car. It's incredibly annoying to find that the wheel off the car won't fit the space allocated in the boot.

2. A device that will disable any mobile phone in a vehicle whilst the engine is running.

But, but - if the punctured wheel would fit the space for the spare, then surely the spare could itself be a full sized wheel and tyre?

Now, there's an idea!

Watis

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » October 4th, 2017, 6:32 pm

My new car uses Android Auto which gives you Google Maps directions with traffic information on the cars screen, and voice control of the phones music and the mobile. But...I do agree its still distracting. I set the sat nav before setting off and never the phone when driving except if someone phones me. The latest cars are full of distracting gadgets, it will get worse...

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 4th, 2017, 7:09 pm

richlist wrote:Many new cars have built in Sat navs

So should we all buy new cars if ours doesn't?

richlist wrote:the radio provides traffic info

Depending upon the time of day, it may provide reports of major delays once per hour.

Don't get me wrong, I do not 'phone or (worse) text while I am driving but there are two sides to that coin. Pulling over so that a call can be returned or made and then pulling out again into moving traffic is not risk-free. Stopping people from using their 'phones while driving may save lives but it will also kill people. (I suspect that it would save more than it kills but I am not aware of any evidence.) Disabling 'phones so that a driver has to pull over to enable a passenger to make or return a call is adding unnecessary risk.

Julian F. G. W.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 4th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Watis wrote:
richlist wrote:1. Space Saver spare wheel locations on a car that will also accept the punctured wheel off of the car. It's incredibly annoying to find that the wheel off the car won't fit the space allocated in the boot.

2. A device that will disable any mobile phone in a vehicle whilst the engine is running.

But, but - if the punctured wheel would fit the space for the spare, then surely the spare could itself be a full sized wheel and tyre?

Now, there's an idea!

Watis

No. You have misunderstood.

I have a car that has different width wheels on the front and back.....so a single thin space saver makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is to have nowhere to put the punctured wheel if you happen to be driving with a full boot. Surprisingly the wife takes offence when asked to travel with a dirty punctured wheel on her lap !

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » October 4th, 2017, 8:26 pm

What in-car invention are you waiting for?

A wind/dust screen device to enable me to get rid of this leather helmet and goggles. As for a roof to keep me dry? Ha, that'll never happen. How would you then get in the damn thing.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 5th, 2017, 8:42 am

richlist wrote:
Watis wrote:

Now, there's an idea!

Watis

No. You have misunderstood.

I have a car that has different width wheels on the front and back.....so a single thin space saver makes perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is to have nowhere to put the punctured wheel if you happen to be driving with a full boot. Surprisingly the wife takes offence when asked to travel with a dirty punctured wheel on her lap !

That's understandable I suppose, although an old newspaper under the wheel would absorb much of the dirt.

However, you should never travel with an unpunctured wheel on your lap - it could be fatal:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 600833.stm

Although that must have been really unlucky.

Watis

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 5th, 2017, 9:13 am

richlist wrote:Surprisingly the wife takes offence when asked to travel with a dirty punctured wheel on her lap !

Large plastic bag or container to hold the wheel. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1-X-Car-Vehicl ... 1544579697, or just nick one from somebody's Land Rover. Cotton wool wads for your ears to keep the protest volume down. Sorted. :D

BJ

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 5th, 2017, 11:14 am

bungeejumper wrote:Are you sure you want to disable the passengers' phones as well? And what about the only situation where you're allowed to call while driving - where you feel you're in danger and daren't stop? One driver reported a recent loony, for a start. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41423417

Shouldn't be needed really. The tech already exists to record car trips (for insurers) and audio via dashcams, so it's not a quantum leap to start recording/monitoring the use of phones while/where a vehicle is moving. Once all that starts to come as standard in our new electric cars and insurers start changing their models then many drivers' behaviour should eventually follow.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 5th, 2017, 12:25 pm

moorfield wrote:The tech already exists to record car trips (for insurers) and audio via dashcams, so it's not a quantum leap to start recording/monitoring the use of phones while/where a vehicle is moving. Once all that starts to come as standard in our new electric cars and insurers start changing their models then many drivers' behaviour should eventually follow.

I remember the fuss kicked up with the introduction of tachographs, a.k.a. "the spy in the cab". I'm not sure I'd want to invest in the first insurer to go down this route unless it was legislated, in which case I wouldn't want to bet on that party staying in office for very long!

it's the same argument that suggests all cars should have speed governors fitted: we are policed by consent, not force.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 5th, 2017, 12:55 pm

richlist wrote:Yes everything.

Many new cars have built in Sat navs, the radio provides traffic info

Most built in satnavs are nowhere near as good as plain Google Maps and cost a fortune to keep up to date.

Slarti

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » October 5th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I want the same as what homer simpson wanted - a separate cabin for the children, drinks holders here, here, here, here and here, and a horn that plays 'la cucaracha'.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » October 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm

StepOne wrote:I want the same as what homer simpson wanted - a separate cabin for the children, drinks holders here, here, here, here and here, and a horn that plays 'la cucaracha'.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer

Well at least one of those is available

https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-425-Musical ... B00029XHWC

Rob

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 5th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Slarti wrote:
richlist wrote:Yes everything.

Many new cars have built in Sat navs, the radio provides traffic info

Most built in satnavs are nowhere near as good as plain Google Maps and cost a fortune to keep up to date.

Slarti

Many manufacturers update built in sat navs for free.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » October 5th, 2017, 8:58 pm

richlist wrote:Many manufacturers update built in sat navs for free.

On my new car a built in satnav was an extra £525! On my last car it cost about £75 a year to update the lousy Garmin thing built into the central console. So, I chose my phone using Android Auto instead at no extra cost. Now I have a voice operated sat nav that shows on the cars screen slow or very slow traffic in real real time and takes hold ups into account to calculate the fastest route and journey times - Google Maps from my £70 Moto E 4g mobile.

Have a look at free Android Auto app or the Apple version. To use the sat nav in childishly simple as is playing your music from your phone and using the phone hands free

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 5th, 2017, 11:32 pm

I want a car with a built in toaster.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... ery-custom

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 6th, 2017, 5:22 pm

richlist wrote:Many manufacturers update built in sat navs for free.

That most be something new.

All of the ones I've seen you were talking £150 or more for an update.

Slarti

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » October 7th, 2017, 10:48 am

One day I am sure we will all be downloading our favorite 'safety ringtones' for otherwise silent cars , but in the meantime a loud alarm to shock drivers when they turn without signalling would be more than useful.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 10th, 2017, 11:09 pm

richlist wrote:No. You have misunderstood.

I had 2 tyres delivered for the maserati.

They wouldn't even fit in the boot - had to go on the back seats.

You can get a spacesaver spare, but the punctured one would have to go IN the car.

Paul

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 11th, 2017, 10:03 am

Yes that seems to apply to most of my sports cars. The problem is that they are 2 seater cars and with both seats occupied the wheel will not fit inside the car.

It's totally unacceptable.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”