Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hyundai i10 cluch

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Hyundai i10 cluch

Postby Rhyd6 » January 6th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Hi FB, we too go to a Hyundai dealer in Cheshire, I can only surmise that it's not the same one as you as so far our local garage has had to rebalance the wheels and put right one or two other sloppy bits of workmanship. OH dreads going there for the mandatory service necessary to keep the warranty intact.

R6

martint123
Lemon Pip

Postby martint123 » January 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Not sure of the current models, but when I got mine (59 reg) the I10 forum was full of folk getting clutches replaced under warranty.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 7th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:so far our local garage has had to rebalance the wheels and put right one or two other sloppy bits of workmanship.

IIRC, there used to be something about Hyundai 110s lurching to the left because of some imbalance or other in the driveshafts, and a lot of them had to go back. But I think that's all in the distant past now. Friends with an 09 model that they got under the old scrappage deal have found it to be roomy, reliable and generally excellent.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Snorvey wrote:So here's the thing, if it's not covered under warranty (and it seems to be a hit or a miss whether it is or not), I don't particularly want the Hyundai main dealer getting the work. I'd rather give it to my local independent garage to do the job.

Surely all a trained mechanic has to do is drive it for 5 minutes to tell whether the clutch is goosed or not?

It looks like the part will be covered under the warranty if its failure is due to a manufacturing defect rather than wear and tear*. I don't see how they could determine that without taking it out for a look.

(But I'd probably be a little pessimistic that the result would be in your favour).

* https://www.hyundai.co.uk/misc-pages/5_year_warranty/warranty_faqs

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 9th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Snorvey wrote:
So here's the thing, if it's not covered under warranty (and it seems to be a hit or a miss whether it is or not), I don't particularly want the Hyundai main dealer getting the work. I'd rather give it to my local independent garage to do the job.

Surely all a trained mechanic has to do is drive it for 5 minutes to tell whether the clutch is goosed or not?

There could be a few options rather than a simple yes or no here.

They could say, yes it's a warranty job. No charge (except then why should you pay anything for a courtesy car)

They could say it's wear and tear but will do the repair at labour only as a courtesy.

Or they could say it's a full price repair job at your cost.

That's when you need to have some idea how much your local garage might charge, to have some chance of negotiating the price down.

Since the main dealer would presumably already have your car stripped and they would have to put it back together anyway if you take it away then they should be able to do the repair cheaper than your local garage.

I'd be a little concerned about the £12 per day on an open ended deal through, for example my BMW is in the garage at the moment to have a new steering rack fitted under warranty. I am driving around in a similar BMW that according to the paperwork is charged at £65 per day. I have had this for nearly 20 days now and the garage is still waiting for parts. I'm glad I'm not paying!

John
John

martint123
Lemon Pip

Postby martint123 » January 12th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I think a lot depends on the dealer on what is warranty work.
Four and a half years in I had a hole in the drivers seat back cover and what I thought my be foam collapse.
Dealer took a couple of phone pictures and got authorisation to get the seat reupholstered and an I20 loaner for a couple of days while it was being done.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”