Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Bottom feeding the insurers

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Bottom feeding the insurers

Postby DrFfybes » January 14th, 2018, 5:56 pm

The Carina insurance has crept up over the last 3 years, the days of Sub £100 seemed to vanish, and it seems SAGA are no longer as keen on us as they once were. In fact we only renewed with them last year as the breakdown cover package made it worthwhile. As their latest figure is only a fiver less than we pay for the Z4M (4 times the power, 40 times the value) we shopped around

So, on to our favourite Herpestidaen comparison site (other sites are available and may contain opera singers) for some quotes.

Fully Comp, £150 voluntary excess, business use, £115.14 with compulsory £250 excess.

Hmm, that makes £400, which is about the cost of the car, so let's play. Increasing the voluntary excess to £1000 made no difference to the cheaper quotes (including some major names). Reducing the voluntary excess to zero also made no difference.

Annual mileage, changed between 3000 and 8000 miles makes no difference.

So, I changed the cover to TPFT, which then precludes business use, but it did make a difference. £115.09 - yup a whole 5 pence different.

We thought about it (very) briefly then went back to Comp.

The odd thing was pretty much all the lower priced ones did the same thing - it seems there is a base premium below which you cannot go.

Mined ewe it is 27 years old this year, Hagerty won't cover it as a classic for another 3 years yet,but when they do it opens up affordable EU breakdown cover again :)

Paul

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Bottom feeding the insurers

Postby didds » January 14th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Seems to me TPFT is often more expensive than FC these days. Some body here or TMF explained it all to me once!

If I read the OP correctly its only "£400" IF you have a claim though. Otherwise its £115.

didds

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”