Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Nesting in hole in tree?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Nesting in hole in tree?

Postby Slarti » April 20th, 2018, 6:06 pm

We've got a tree with a split in the trunk, about 8' up, and 1or more Bluetits keep flying in and out.

If they are nesting, am I likely scare them off if I set up the stepladder about 6' away to have a look and see?

Slarti

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nesting in hole in tree?

Postby Clitheroekid » April 22nd, 2018, 10:09 pm

Slarti wrote:If they are nesting, am I likely scare them off if I set up the stepladder about 6' away to have a look and see?

Quite possibly, though if you do it quietly and without making sudden movements they would probably get used to you.

But you'd probably be better putting the step ladder 12' away and using binoculars!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 23rd, 2018, 9:37 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
Slarti wrote:If they are nesting, am I likely scare them off if I set up the stepladder about 6' away to have a look and see?

Quite possibly, though if you do it quietly and without making sudden movements they would probably get used to you.

But you'd probably be better putting the step ladder 12' away and using binoculars!

I'll give that a try.

If they aren't there then I can give the tree surgeon a ring to come and quote to remove it, before it falls down.

Slarti

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:44 am

We have Robins nesting in our Gazebo right near where we sit with our G&Ts/Beers etc. I have been photographing the chicks progress with my mobile. They didnt seem to mind the smoke from a couple of barbies either. Wait til you see a bird fly out and then quickly snap your pic.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 23rd, 2018, 10:16 am

tea42 wrote:We have Robins nesting in our Gazebo right near where we sit with our G&Ts/Beers etc. I have been photographing the chicks progress with my mobile. They didnt seem to mind the smoke from a couple of barbies either. Wait til you see a bird fly out and then quickly snap your pic.

Your robins must be more technically aware than mine! ;-)

Gengulphus

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 23rd, 2018, 11:59 am

Woodman, spare that tree. :o We have a 130 year old plum that's been splitting for all of the 24 years that we've known it/owned it. (Village folklore says that it was one of two which were damaged during the 1970s when Concorde performed a sonic boom and felled the other one. Apparently, the previous occupant., a vicar, got compensation from BAe for the loss of his fallen tree.) :lol:

Anyway, the split tree is still going, and is a rich source for insect-eaters of every kind. Woodpeckers, nuthatches, finches, tits, you name it. It rots, it mends itself. It just happens to be a charmingly twisted shape, which helps, admittedly.

It's a neighbourhood resource, your tree. Keep it if poss.

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Woodman, spare that tree.

I've got that on a 78!

bungeejumper wrote:Anyway, the split tree is still going, and is a rich source for insect-eaters of every kind. Woodpeckers, nuthatches, finches, tits, you name it. It rots, it mends itself. It just happens to be a charmingly twisted shape, which helps, admittedly.

It's a neighbourhood resource, your tree. Keep it if poss.

It is not the only split and it has been getting wider over the last 2 or 3 years. Plus the tree is leaning at an interesting angle over the lawn.
Mrs S is worried that it may fall down and hurt someone, though I suspect that it would only comedown in the sort of weather when nobody would be in the garden.

I keep forgetting to contact the tree surgeon, which helps the tree to survive for another month or 3, but I think she may insist.

Slarti

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 23rd, 2018, 4:28 pm

some people just like cutting down trees..

others will not touch them .

i am lucky to have 2 dozen scots pines - a couple died (totally) - i had them removed for safety .

:(

Return to “The Natural World”