Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

hardy fuchia

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

hardy fuchia

Postby mutantpoodle » November 30th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Hi
I just ought two 'hardy fuchia' from local superstore
otherwise unnamed!!
reduced due to time of year etc
but I have god experience of buying from this place
so am happy to give it another go

however

'hardy fuchia'

how hardy are they likely to be?
should I leave overwinter in an unheated greenhouse
or just leave out!!??

they were cheap
but I want to give them edvery chance

TIA

rgifford

Re: hardy fuchia

Postby rgifford » November 30th, 2016, 4:07 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:how hardy are they likely to be?

No idea without a name but we have a Lottie Hobby planted in our garden which flowers 52 weeks of the year, just to give an indication of how hardy fuschias are capable of being. We are 'Oop North' so none of this namby-pamby sub-tropical weather those southerners have ;-)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » November 30th, 2016, 4:53 pm

the only indication on the pot is
'hardy fuchia' ''assorted'

so could be anything!!

but as I say I have usually done well from this place so will keep my fingers crossed!!
at present most leaves have fallen!!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 30th, 2016, 5:14 pm

If they're still in their pots I'd bring them into at least a little bit of shelter, because the roots could get long-term frozen if they're above ground through very bad weather. But if they're planted, I'd surround them with a bit of leaf mulch (or suchlike) and leave them to it.

Here's hoping your fuschia will be rosy.

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 30th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Fuscias look like a pile of dead twigs by the end of the winter. Just when you've given up all hope, leaf buds spring up on the most unpromising looking branches.

The RHS wrote:Hardy fuchsia
These are best pruned hard annually in early or mid-spring, as the new growth begins to appear. Cut down to a low framework or to just above where the new shoots are arising.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=579

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 1st, 2016, 3:31 pm

many thannks everyone

I will do as suggested and keep my fingerss crossed!

will advise next spring!

(if i remember!!)

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 2nd, 2016, 4:19 pm

Breelander wrote:Fuscias look like a pile of dead twigs by the end of the winter. Just when you've given up all hope, leaf buds spring up on the most unpromising looking branches.

The RHS wrote:Hardy fuchsia
These are best pruned hard annually in early or mid-spring, as the new growth begins to appear. Cut down to a low framework or to just above where the new shoots are arising.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=579

Fuchsias come in all ranges of hardiness. From memory, I think if they are trained as standards they are not hardy. However, there are well known ones with abundant small red flowers (F. megallenica) and big red and violet flowers (Mrs Popple) which are extremely tough - they just die back in the winter and sprout again the following year. Mine have been growing like this for donkey's years. And they are resistant to all diseases as well.
I have some red and white ones in pots which have survived a couple of winters outdoors, and a neighbour has a pink and purple one which also has survived several years - I wish I could find out where to get one of those.
However, this year I bought some large flowered salmon pink ones in Hombase and I rather suspect they will not be very hardy. Plus they are showing a lot of rust, a severe problem with vulnerable fuchsias which I had forgotten about.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 2nd, 2016, 4:48 pm

Nimrod103 wrote: ..,a neighbour has a pink and purple one which also has survived several years - I wish I could find out where to get one of those...

From your neighbour? With Fuscias it's very easy to take cuttings. From my RHS link...
•Hardwood cuttings – late autumn, before severe frosts occur. Set in a cold frame or similar and ensure the compost remains just moist through winter. Once the cuttings have rooted, in early spring, pot on or use the young shoots as softwood cuttings...

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 2nd, 2016, 8:56 pm

Breelander wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote: ..,a neighbour has a pink and purple one which also has survived several years - I wish I could find out where to get one of those...

From your neighbour? With Fuscias it's very easy to take cuttings. From my RHS link...
•Hardwood cuttings – late autumn, before severe frosts occur. Set in a cold frame or similar and ensure the compost remains just moist through winter. Once the cuttings have rooted, in early spring, pot on or use the young shoots as softwood cuttings...

Yes, I think I will have to introduce myself first, before taking sacateurs to his (obviously) prized specimen.

Return to “The Natural World”