Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Slug deterrents

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: Slug deterrents

Postby Nimrod103 » June 10th, 2018, 10:40 am

poundcoin wrote:It's a pity some genesatist (sp ?) can't produce a slug/ snail breed that eats daisies / buttercups etc .
Plenty to go at in my lawn , it always looks like a meadow .
The slugs and snails home straight in on the bedding plants , favourite seems to be the white alyssum and petunias . They don't seem to like begonias or geraniums .

I have been compiling a list of slug proof plants, though I have come to the conclusion that a really hungry mollusc will eat anything. There is also a list online - http://arnobrosi.tripod.com/snails/plantlist.html

Top of my list is Aquilega followed by Geraniums (herbaceous and tender types), Antirrhinums, Foxgloves and Poppies.

Any other suggestions?

As to lawns, I like the meadow look, and so do the bees.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 10th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Slug proof plants seem to include nettles, docks and brambles. In fact anything you wish was not there.

TJH

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 10th, 2018, 8:56 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Slug proof plants seem to include nettles, docks and brambles. In fact anything you wish was not there.

TJH

That's not entirely true. But now I try to concentrate on plants which I know the slugs won't eat, and concentrate my slug pellets around the few things (mainly salad and vegetables) for which there is no slug proof version. Hence, in my front garden, along the front wall, which is a real hot spot for snail damage I have planted shrubs (almost all mollusc proof), herbaceous geraniums, Aquilega, Hypericum, and a few wild flowers like purple and yellow toadflax. All British wildflowers are immune to slug attack.

PS also Valerian which grows as a weed from pavements etc, but is quite attractive.

Return to “The Natural World”