Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

B&Q Compost

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
quelquod
Lemon Quarter

B&Q Compost

Postby quelquod » June 7th, 2018, 1:03 pm

We're keen gardeners and use around 8-10 of B&Q's own-brand 'Verve' large 120 litre bales every year. Aside from being cheap it's won numerous awards over the years and we've had excellent results with both seeds and potting on. I've just opened a couple of bags which I bought last weekend and what a surprise. Rock hard, airless, earthy-looking sort of material with a sour smell and mould of some sort growing on and throughout it. Stains hands and clothing quite badly. Quite different to the fibrous stuff I've been used to getting (even with the ever-higher recycled content).

I presume B&Q have found a cheaper supplier. Anyone else found this or have I got a really poor batch? No idea yet how it'll perform for my chrysanthemums but I doubt if I'll be buying any more of this.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: B&Q Compost

Postby Dod101 » June 7th, 2018, 1:20 pm

If it is as you describe I would return it to them. I doubt that it will do your chrysanthemums much good. I use about 5/6 bags of compost in the transition from winter pansies to summer bedding and having gone through various suppliers, I find Miracle Grow very good and get 2 bags for £10 most of the time.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: B&Q Compost

Postby bungeejumper » June 7th, 2018, 1:52 pm

If it's mouldy then it's old stock, or at least water damaged stock. You shouldn't have any probs taking it back.

Many years ago, I had a duff batch of Verve compost which was full of shredded bits of black plastic sack. :( The problem was that all the manufacturers were being required to incorporate a certain amount of local authority compost, and some of the London tips weren't being fussy enough about requiring householders to empty the sacks before they tipped them into the green waste skip. Haven't had a problem since, though.

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”