Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

WHITE PHEASANT

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
toofast2live
Lemon Slice

WHITE PHEASANT

Postby toofast2live » December 11th, 2018, 2:31 pm

They've been blasting pheasants from the sky around here for a couple of weeks now, but today I saw a first - a white male pheasant in the garden. It wasn't albino has it still had some red around its eyes and TBH there was a small splash of brown at the tip of the tail, but anyway it was a big surpise as i've not seen one before in 30 years of living here.

I'm assuming they're not as rare as I think? And surely not a breeding ploy to make them easier targets :-(

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: WHITE PHEASANT

Postby Breelander » December 12th, 2018, 2:16 am

toofast2live wrote:today I saw a first - a white male pheasant in the garden. It wasn't albino has it still had some red around its eyes and TBH there was a small splash of brown at the tip of the tail...

Then it may be a genetic condition known as Leucism. http://aviangenetics.com/PheasantGeneti ... ained.html

But it could be albino after all. Not all albinism is complete, apparently...
http://aviangenetics.com/PheasantGeneti ... lbino.html

Either way, it is a rare but natural mutation.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: WHITE PHEASANT

Postby bungeejumper » December 12th, 2018, 11:05 am

Interesting. We had a few of them around these southern parts, about ten years ago. And very arresting they were, too!

Forget hunters with guns. The main problem with being a white pheasant is that every fox can see you from a mile away. Not a very helpful mutation really.

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”