Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cutting new grass?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Cutting new grass?

Postby Slarti » February 21st, 2019, 4:21 pm

Last year we seeded a piece of garden recovered from the weeds and it is growing well. So well that I am thinking about the lawn mower.

Now for the old lawns I'll know when I have to cut them and will just get on with it, but I've never had new grass to deal with before.

So my question, can I just go ahead and cut it when I do the rest, or do I need to leave it longer to fully bed in? Or would it be a good idea to walk on it to ensure that the raked over soil is pressed down?

Slarti (not really a gardener)

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: Cutting new grass?

Postby EssDeeAitch » February 21st, 2019, 4:29 pm

When I had a new lawn laid last April, I was told not to cut for six to eight weeks . First cut on highest setting and drop one level on each subsequent cutting until desired hight is achieved.

Seemed to work for me.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 21st, 2019, 5:56 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:When I had a new lawn laid last April, I was told not to cut for six to eight weeks . First cut on highest setting and drop one level on each subsequent cutting until desired hight is achieved.

Seemed to work for me.

Well I'm well past that as we seeded back in October or November.
So, when I do get the mower out, I'll do as you were advised.

Cheers
Slarti

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm

When the grass starts to grow away you might consider giving it some high Nitrogen feed. It might mean a little more lawn mowing but it will help the grass to become established more quickly.

RC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 22nd, 2019, 7:58 am

First cut with shears, if at all possible. Make sure they're sharp, or they may rip at the young grass. But if you're using a rotary mower, use a high setting and again, sharpen the blades. (I give mine a quick touch with an angle grinder.)

October/November's normally quite late for seeding lawns, but it sounds like you got away with it. This winter hasn't been particularly cold down in West Wiltshire, but our grass has only grown very slowly. Normally I find myself giving the lawns an interim mow in early January, but this year it hasn't been needed. And last weekend's first mowing of the year produced only one grassbox full of clippings from nearly 200 square metres. Very odd, considering that there's an underground watercourse running through part of it!

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » February 22nd, 2019, 10:01 am

Grass has been growing strongly in this area (West Midlands) most of this year. Mine has needed a cut for at least the last 3 weeks. An area I seeded in mid /late October is now thick grass and will take a cut.

I seeded 250sq M yesterday, it's very early but the weather is mild and although it's dry we are having a lot of dew in the morning. Hopefully I will gain a month on the normal sowing time. If we do get a cold snap I may need to reseed.

Return to “The Natural World”