Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Vegetable query

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Skotch
Lemon Pip

Vegetable query

Postby Skotch » April 15th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone will dare to plant out tomatoes and courgettes after the Easter break, given the weather is meant to be getting warmer (East Midlands) or is it still too early?

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Re: Vegetable query

Postby 6Tricia » April 15th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Far too early, in my opinion!

I'm in the southwest and not expecting any more frosty nights, but toms and courgettes are very tender plants and don't like night temperatures that go below 10C - so I don't risk planting out before around 10 May. Even then I use fleece protection for a couple of weeks.

I'm champing at the bit too! (I need space in my tiny greenhouse to start sweet corn and French beans).

Tricia

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » April 15th, 2019, 4:14 pm

I have gone down the plant out early route
Result either dead or leggy specimens.
If you plant later the plants catch up and are generally more productive.
As Clint put 'Do you feel lucky punk' :D

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 15th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Skotch wrote:Just wondering if anyone will dare to plant out tomatoes and courgettes after the Easter break...

As per my usual practice, my tomatoes are already planted in the propagating tent I use as a 'mini-greenhouse'. Even here in the S/E I find growing outdoors to be unproductive.

Breelander wrote: I plant seed indoors in pots mid-February, then plant out into the grow tent (with the door closed for protection) late March....

...I always have more plants than I need, the remaining ones I plant outdoors. Don't bother - I'm lucky if I get more than a couple of tomatoes on them.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=13416&p=163032#p163032

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 15th, 2019, 6:46 pm

My maincrop tomatoes are already 12-15 inches high, and so I've put them out into the greenhouse to toughen them up a bit. But I'll give it another fortnight before I put anything properly outside.

The trailing tom thumb type tomatoes were sown slightly later, so they're only 10 inches or so, but I'll be planting them out into pots and tubs in a week or so. Also in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks.

There's always a slight risk of frost damage at this time of year, but I can't ever remember losing a plant this late. Famous last words. :)

Recently-seeded pumpkins are just popping their heads through in the heated propagators. Charentais melons won't be going into the greenhouse for at least another month! Climbing French beans coming through very nicely in the deep root trainers.

I love this time of year!

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”