Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Chancing it

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Chancing it

Postby bungeejumper » May 15th, 2019, 1:16 pm

It's no good, I can't hold back my veg patch any longer. It's 20 degrees outside, the weather forecast shows two solid weeks of similar, with no chance at all of frost. And I've put my climbing beans out into their trench, at least 10-14 days ahead of my usual habit. (Grown in deep root trainers, and raring to go.)

Ditto my January-sown sweet peas, which also went out this morning, and my leeks, which wouldn't mind a cold night anyway. However, courgettes, pumpkins and sweetcorn won't be planted out till June because even a mild frost will do them no good at all.

But what to do about my tomatoes,dammit? Biggest, chunkiest plants I've ever had at this time of year, and they're desperate to go out. I suppose I could fleece them if it looks as though night-time temperatures might fall? Hmmm, decisions, decisions. :)

Anyone else wondering the same thing?

BJ

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chancing it

Postby kempiejon » May 15th, 2019, 2:47 pm

I've chanced it with beans, they'd just got too big. Squash and courgettes in pots, in and out of the conservatory when it's cold, tomatoes in pots on the patio for overnight shelter but daytime light and heat, keep thinking I can get away with it, sunny south east in a sheltered spot. I have some fleece.

Return to “The Natural World”