Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pheasant nesting and chick rearing times

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Pheasant nesting and chick rearing times

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 16th, 2019, 7:28 am

Hi,

Come the summer and I have lots of hedging to trim/maintain etc. The conifers in the back garden are a royal pain, and I usually just hit them anytime from June - Sept when I feel enthused or bored enough to do so.

However, this year we seem to have two frequent guests in the back, i.e. Mr and Mrs. P. H. Elesant. See them most days pecking around the lawn and sometimes hanging around looking very smug with themselves in the lower reaches of one of the side hedges.

I'm wondering if they are nesting+rearing and I'm happy to postpone hedge trimming the conifers until their youngsters have been probably schooled in the art of kamikaze road crossing :roll: which they so badly need in this day and age.

Anyone here know when they do their rearing in nests etc. and so when is the best time for me to sort my hedge out?

many thanks,
Matt

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pheasant nesting and chick rearing times

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Ha ha!

I found it for m'self:

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habita ... Facts.aspx

Between April-June. They've got cute looking chicks too. And they've got a top speed of 60mph. 8-)

Matt

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 20th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Pheasants are not native to the UK and where I live (SW) I assume that they are escapees from farms rearing them to be shot. We had frequent visits from an albino pheasant a few years ago but I expect he or she ended up as fox dinner. There are areas where they have become wild:

It is difficult to separate geographical areas with truly viable wild stocks from areas where the population is mostly supported by rearing. At present, pockets of wild pheasants occur in arable areas of East Anglia, Kent, central and southern England, northeastern England and some lowlands of Scotland.

https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/specie ... -pheasant/

It's worth mentioning that hedge trimming is covered by rules which generally prohibit trimming between 1 March and 31 August:

https://www.nfuonline.com/cross-sector/ ... -for-2015/

RC

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 20th, 2019, 1:31 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Pheasants are not native to the UK and where I live (SW) I assume that they are escapees from farms rearing them to be shot. We had frequent visits from an albino pheasant a few years ago but I expect he or she ended up as fox dinner. There are areas where they have become wild:

It is difficult to separate geographical areas with truly viable wild stocks from areas where the population is mostly supported by rearing. At present, pockets of wild pheasants occur in arable areas of East Anglia, Kent, central and southern England, northeastern England and some lowlands of Scotland.

https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/specie ... -pheasant/

Of course, they were introduced by the Normans or Romans I think. They are basically wild wherever I've lived (the east + midlands).

It's worth mentioning that hedge trimming is covered by rules which generally prohibit trimming between 1 March and 31 August:

Cripes I'd never get anything done round my place if I postponed all trimming work till September. The only nests I can ever remember disturbing were pigeons a few years back, but they are basically vermin around here. i.e. they pinch the farmer's seeds etc. I have to say that pigeon chicks are about the most ugly brutes I've ever seen.

But I'll hold off on the conifers for the sake of the pheasants.

Matt

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 20th, 2019, 4:07 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:It's worth mentioning that hedge trimming is covered by rules which generally prohibit trimming between 1 March and 31 August:

https://www.nfuonline.com/cross-sector/ ... -for-2015/

From the fact that it's on the National Farmers Union website and the use of the word "hedgerow" in quite a few places in it, I got the impression that the rules mentioned there might well not apply to normal garden hedges. An internet search has found quite a few pages that confirm that impression, e.g. an RSPB page:

There are certain laws regarding hedge cutting which you should be aware of to ensure there is no damage to active bird nests.

Hedge cutting and the law

Some mature hedgerows are protected by law but this wouldn’t normally apply to garden hedges.
We recommend not cutting hedges and trees between March and August as this is the main breeding season for nesting birds, although some birds may nest outside this period.
It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built, or to intentionally kill, injure or take chicks or adults, or intentionally take or destroy any eggs.

A Natural England document available on the Durham County Council website also seems quite informative.

So I'm pretty certain that my original impression is right and people trimming their garden hedges need have no real fear of the rules mentioned in your link, at least for reasonably normal-sized gardens that are not in specially-designated areas such as Sites of Special Scientific Interest. That doesn't mean they needn't pay attention to all the other laws that might be involved, of course - but those laws aren't 6-month-long blanket bans on hedge-trimming!

Gengulphus

Return to “The Natural World”