Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Late strawberry plant.

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Late strawberry plant.

Postby sg31 » August 26th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I visited a local garden centre and farm last week. They had a lot of strawberry plants in growbags that obviously weren't for sale. They were absolutely covered in strawberries of the most wonderful appearance (and flavour, but the least said about that the better).

This is mid/late august and my late strawberries have been finished for 3 weeks or more. I asked the nursery staff what variety the plants are but they didn't know, they just knew they were going out in the PYO field but had been delayed due to pressure of work on the farm staff. 2 of the staff tried to find out for me but never managed to speak to the man who would know and one promised to find out and ring me back but I've heard nothing. I've been back 3 times now trying to find out.

Presumably this is a commercial variety, does anyone have any idea what it might be ?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Late strawberry plant.

Postby Breelander » August 26th, 2019, 4:32 pm

sg31 wrote:This is mid/late august and my late strawberries have been finished for 3 weeks or more. I asked the nursery staff what variety the plants are but they didn't know...

Presumably this is a commercial variety, does anyone have any idea what it might be ?

These are known as 'perpetual' strawberries, some varieties are listed at the end of this article.

The RHS wrote:Large fruited ‘perpetual’ strawberries form flower buds in summer to crop from late summer into autumn over a long period. Perpetuals bear fruit in regular flushes from July until the first autumn frosts.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=306

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Late strawberry plant.

Postby sg31 » August 26th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Breelander wrote:
These are known as 'perpetual' strawberries, some varieties are listed at the end of this article.

The RHS wrote:Large fruited ‘perpetual’ strawberries form flower buds in summer to crop from late summer into autumn over a long period. Perpetuals bear fruit in regular flushes from July until the first autumn frosts.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=306

I've heard of them but never imagined they would crop so heavily this late. From the name I assumed they would produce a few berries throughout the year. How wrong can you be.

Return to “The Natural World”