Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bats but no belfry.

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
88V8
Lemon Half

Bats but no belfry.

Postby 88V8 » November 1st, 2019, 7:50 pm

Last night was summoned from the shower by OH... "there's something flying around in the sitting room".
There certainly was.
A bat.
I can only think that it came down the chimney. As it's closed at the top - flue liner - this doesn't say much for the state of the stack pointing in the old attic, where I presume we now have... bats.

My next foray into the old attic will be to get the Xmas decorations, but that only involves leaning in from a ladder, it's not a space I ever go into, I hope the new residents will be at the other end and won't mind me appearing.

It was a wonderful experience, this living creature from another world, zooming around in the near-dark of the room. Eventually I opened the external door and after a while, it went out and I went back into the shower :)

Ivor

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Bats but no belfry.

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2019, 8:23 pm

If indeed you do have a resident bat population, you will have a problem if you ever want to do any alterations as they are a protected species I gather. Furthermore although you may like the idea of sharing with a 'creature from another world', they can bring rabies but presumably not by just flying around.

When my neighbours decided to redevelop their house, bats were found in their loft and so after a lot of investigation, they were required to build a sort of 'bat loft' in their new house.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 1st, 2019, 8:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:If indeed you do have a resident bat population, you will have a problem if you ever want to do any alterations as they are a protected species I gather. Furthermore although you may like the idea of sharing with a 'creature from another world', they can bring rabies but presumably not by just flying around.

When my neighbours decided to redevelop their house, bats were found in their loft and so after a lot of investigation, they were required to build a sort of 'bat loft' in their new house.

Dod

Bats, great crested newts and now nesting season for birds are all taken into account when developing a site today.

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am

88V8 wrote: I can only think that it came down the chimney. As it's closed at the top - flue liner - this doesn't say much for the state of the stack pointing in the old attic, where I presume we now have... bats.

There are other ways into the property. About 30 years ago, I was renovating a small rural cottage that I'd bought, and I lifted the upstairs floorboards to do some work on the central heating pipes. It was a bit of a surprise to find a small bundle of rags that twitched and moved slightly amid the insulation. Sure enough, it was a pipistrelle bat that had embedded itself in the centre of the house, right between the ground floor and the first floor. It was late February, I think, and this bat had certainly found the warmest hibernation spot in the entire building.

But how had it got in? (Especially since all the floorboards had been firmly nailed down and then carpeted over.) The only explanation that really fitted was that it had gained access to the loft by sneaking under the roof tiles, and that it had then skittered down the gap between the plasterboard internal walls, to gain access to the underfloor cavity.

Very odd! Bats were not so heavily protected in those days, but I phoned the RSPCA, who advised me to give it a bit of milk (which it drank quite readily), and then to try and resettle it in another location where no building work was going on. They said it would probably be ready for a little feeding sortie some time soon, so I should be careful not to put it somewhere where it couldn't get out. A pile of logs in the covered annexe seemed like a suitable place, with a few leaves and suchlike for warmth.

Vlad, as I called him, proved to be quite amenable to the move. He latched onto my finger, and I was able to carry him downstairs hanging upside down from my digit. My main concern was that he was absolutely jumping with fleas! (He was.) A few days later, he had flown the coop and was gone.

I wonder how many of today's laws I would have broken?

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 2nd, 2019, 3:45 pm

And then...... undressing in the bedroom last night, zoooom another bat, or perhaps the same one.
There seems to be a local batnav problem.
I went downstairs, put on the lights in the hope that he/she might descend. It appeared briefly at the foot of the stairs, then vanished.

Our 400yo cottage is full of nooks & crannies where it could lay up during the day. A scout around with the torch just now was in vain.
I shall have to hope that the next appearance is in a room from which it can egress.
After all, I must have regard to the welfare of our spider population. Spiders also have rights! And their webs impart a certain ambience which chimes well with the décor.

Ahh, the law. I wonder if it could be deemed that the bat now lives here? In which case presumably we would have to move out.

Soon it will be dusk, oooer.

V8

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 2nd, 2019, 5:18 pm

Are you sure it's not a local child who got lost on Halloween.

Just explain mummy is looking for it and it's past it's bedtime. :D

Return to “The Natural World”