Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

SSSI

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
sg31
Lemon Quarter

SSSI

Postby sg31 » November 14th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Does anyone know how you go about getting an area of land considered for SSSI status?

I've approached the local council and they say they have no jurisdiction.

I think Natural England are involved but I don't know who can approach them with the suggestion. I don't want to jump the gun here, I want to know the ins and outs of it before I proceed.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: SSSI

Postby Gengulphus » November 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

sg31 wrote:Does anyone know how you go about getting an area of land considered for SSSI status?

I've approached the local council and they say they have no jurisdiction.

I think Natural England are involved but I don't know who can approach them with the suggestion. I don't want to jump the gun here, I want to know the ins and outs of it before I proceed.

I've no experience of this, but a bit of googling and looking at Wikipedia says that yes, Natural England are the body that designates SSSIs. Their website gives the contact email address enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk and also a postal address and a phone number, about halfway down the page. So in your position, I would use one of those methods of contacting them, to ask them what the procedure is. Make it just a short question asking about the procedure, without going into any details about the area of land concerned, as it's better to get those details to the right person with the correct procedure. Instead getting someone in an enquiries-handling position to consider them risks getting a reply from someone junior who may know more about some other area of Natural England's work than about SSSIs...

By the way, I do realise that their website probably has something on it describing the procedure that one could look up directly - but I've failed to find it. Might well be due to a 'blind spot' or to me only having spent a few minutes looking, though!

Gengulphus

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 15th, 2019, 9:28 am

Gengulphus wrote:I've no experience of this, but a bit of googling and looking at Wikipedia says that yes, Natural England are the body that designates SSSIs. Their website gives the contact email address enquiries@naturalengland.org.uk and also a postal address and a phone number, about halfway down the page. So in your position, I would use one of those methods of contacting them, to ask them what the procedure is. Make it just a short question asking about the procedure, without going into any details about the area of land concerned, as it's better to get those details to the right person with the correct procedure. Instead getting someone in an enquiries-handling position to consider them risks getting a reply from someone junior who may know more about some other area of Natural England's work than about SSSIs...

By the way, I do realise that their website probably has something on it describing the procedure that one could look up directly - but I've failed to find it. Might well be due to a 'blind spot' or to me only having spent a few minutes looking, though!

Gengulphus

Thank you for your reply and your efforts to find an answer.

I did spend time searching for the information myself but couldn't find it. I kept getting side tracked by finding reports and regulations which I think may support my proposal. As I'm not experienced in this field it takes me an age to understand the terminology and make sense of the information. Even now I am not sure that I have got any more than a laymans understanding.

I know I'm out of my depth here, the council are no help.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 15th, 2019, 9:54 am

I've just emailed them, reply within 10 days. Seems excessive. Hopefully they will exceed their expectations.

Return to “The Natural World”