Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Closures of municipal skips

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Dod101
The full Lemon

Closures of municipal skips

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2020, 7:44 am

I must say I am disappointed that my local council has closed the various skips dotted around the local Council's area. In the recent good weather I for instance have my garden waste bin filled within two or three days of its being emptied and usually take stuff to the skip after that. Also of course all this spare time confined to barracks provides a great opportunity to sort out my garage space except that I cannot now take junk to the skip.

The website says this is to protect their staff but the staff at my local skip (no more ever than one guy who does not do a lot) are hardly exposed. I suppose though that several trips to the skip would run contrary to Boris's edict but they risk fly tipping by commercial operators if they are not careful.

Is this common around the country?

Dod

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Closures of municipal skips

Postby dspp » March 25th, 2020, 8:25 am

Dod101 wrote:I must say I am disappointed that my local council has closed the various skips dotted around the local Council's area. In the recent good weather I for instance have my garden waste bin filled within two or three days of its being emptied and usually take stuff to the skip after that. Also of course all this spare time confined to barracks provides a great opportunity to sort out my garage space except that I cannot now take junk to the skip.

The website says this is to protect their staff but the staff at my local skip (no more ever than one guy who does not do a lot) are hardly exposed. I suppose though that several trips to the skip would run contrary to Boris's edict but they risk fly tipping by commercial operators if they are not careful.

Dod

Yes, this is a measure that was introduced UK-wide as part of the phased response. There is a lot more goes on than just you pulling up in your car. The entire rubbish collection/logistics etc system has switched into a different mode. I know this because of my involvement in the energy sector - it directly affects our factory.

You are retired. If your trip outside the house is not to shop for essential food, then you should be at home.

regards, dspp

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 25th, 2020, 8:31 am

Dod101 wrote:

What, people not taking the 'only leave your home if it's absolutely necessary to do so' instructions seriously enough Dod?

Sadly, I think you might be right...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2020, 9:16 am

Thanks. I do agree with both responses but I also think it is a great shame because it will almost certainly result in a lot of fly tipping. I had not thought about what goes on behind the scenes but it would certainly not expose me I think to go to the skip. It is never that busy anyway.

Personally, I am going out (beyond my house and garden that is) only for a solitary walk for about an hour round totally deserted golf courses and was actually quite surprised to find only two other couples doing the same. (And plan one weekly shop only. If organised it is not that difficult)

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 25th, 2020, 9:35 am

Dod101 wrote:I must say I am disappointed that my local council has closed the various skips dotted around the local Council's area. In the recent good weather I for instance have my garden waste bin filled within two or three days of its being emptied and usually take stuff to the skip after that. Also of course all this spare time confined to barracks provides a great opportunity to sort out my garage space except that I cannot now take junk to the skip.

Dod

Both the boroughs I know have closed, so it's general. And you shouldn't be going out except for food, but here I have an admission of my own.... I went out for food, noticed the hardware store was open, so bought some bird food while I qas in the village. Not strictly essential, so I've broken the rules.
Remarkably, there were an unheard of two policemen in the village centre just making sure all was going to plan. They soon got bored and drove off.
My daughter says there were three police cars in Bideford advising and talking to passers-by, also unprecedented.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2020, 9:50 am

Thanks Arb. Now there's a thing. Hardware stores are allowed to remain open. I am glad for the lady who runs our nice old fashioned store in our village but who is using it if we are only supposed to be going out for food? In my case it will be any local tradesmen who happen still to be working.

And of course the occasional Arb to buy bird food. I would do the same I think, but I have not been to our shopping area since the rules changed and intend only to go once a week.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 25th, 2020, 11:51 am

Dod101 wrote:it will almost certainly result in a lot of fly tipping.

I think some of the charges at recycling centres already have that effect.

(And plan one weekly shop only. If organised it is not that difficult)
Dod

Made more difficult by empty shelves. Failure to pick up pasta yesterday means more shopping necessary.
And a lot of fresh produce wants more than one shopping trip a week.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 25th, 2020, 4:49 pm

West Sussex have closed their Amenity tips. Refuse, Recycling and Garden Waste collection continue as normal, so far.

I foresee a lot of bonfires at times.

TJH

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 25th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Bromley has closed the tips and stopped collecting paper and plastic for recycling and garden waste. I already compost or burn anything from the garden, must start composting paper now, thank goodness I have 2 sheds and a garage to stockpile the rest.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I hope our collections keep going because although I do not have a lot I think it should be collected come what may.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 26th, 2020, 9:03 am

Dod101 wrote: It is never that busy anyway.

Wish we had that problem!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 26th, 2020, 9:07 am

Well warm days in midsummer it is but otherwise it is what is usually termed 'steady' with no more than three or four vehicles at any one time.

Dod

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » March 26th, 2020, 12:19 pm

South Gloucestershire have also closed recycling centres and stopped collecting 'green waste' from next Monday. They will continue to collect household recycling (cardboard/paper/plastic/tins etc.), but have changed this to two weekly collections rather than weekly.

I don't have a garden compost area, so I might need to start one until collections start again. I'll start another post.

Cheers, OLTB.

Return to “The Natural World”