Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gardening always has surprises

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Gardening always has surprises

Postby Nimrod103 » May 29th, 2020, 8:59 pm

This Spring, after 30 years of raising soft fruit in a large fruit cage, my early redcurrants and white currants have been stripped by what I assume to have been woodpigeons (which are a plague in this area). All these currants are still small and green, and normally I don't put the netting over until the first currants and raspberries start to turn a bit red.
Why now, and not for last 30 years?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gardening always has surprises

Postby sg31 » May 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:This Spring, after 30 years of raising soft fruit in a large fruit cage, my early redcurrants and white currants have been stripped by what I assume to have been woodpigeons (which are a plague in this area). All these currants are still small and green, and normally I don't put the netting over until the first currants and raspberries start to turn a bit red.
Why now, and not for last 30 years?

I wonder if it is to do with the dry weather quite early in the year. It's not just woodies, I've had blackbirds take unripe strawberries. They also stripped raspberries one year.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 1st, 2020, 9:56 am

Crikey, I'd better get the netting out!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 1st, 2020, 10:06 am

Have to admit that strawberries and lettuce are two things I've given up on trying to grow. The combined onslaught of slugs and pigeons has become too much hassle, especially now that UK suppliers can get strawbs and Romaines into my kitchen for most of the year, and at decent prices too. I can now grow other things in my strawberry bed, and they don't just crop for two weeks in June.

Mind you, I might change my view if I can ever persuade the pigeons to feed on the slugs instead of my strawberries! :lol:

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”