Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Help rescuing a neglected yew sapling

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Help rescuing a neglected yew sapling

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 25th, 2020, 9:32 am

Hello again,

Another gardening question. The property we are now at, we've had for 7 years, and there has so much work (in and out) to do, that I've almost given up. However, the large amount of yew hedging is one thing to continues to motivate me. In the first summer, after removing a sumac tree, we noticed that 4 of the yews next to it, had died. These were replaced and over the years as I've bought the hedge down in height (from about 8' down to 6'), these 4 have now basically caught up. However, over time as more neglect (from the last owners) has cleared been up, I've since had to undertake three more "dig out the dead and replace with new sapling" operations.

Unfortunately the most recent recovery (this really now must the last!), had me being a little too laissez-faire, in so far as the watering policy. The history is that last summer after clearing ground (removing buddleias and huge cotoneaster thing) we uncovered yet another deceased fellow in the midst. So in the summer (as part of the annual summer yew hedge trim) we cleared a big gap (else the newcomer won't get sufficient sun+air), and then in the autumn we got the new chap, from our favourite source (a rather interesting mother + grownup son and daughter arrangement) in a cottage/smallholding/nursery in a wood at the bottom of a drove! They keep their plants very well however, and are much cheaper than garden centers and have much more knowledge on what they are selling than any other outlets we've ever visited. Anyway I planted this in about October/November just gone and basically composed/bone-mealed/drenched the young lad in, and then left it over the winter. When spring then summer came, since (slightly earlier in the season) it looked basically okay, and since apparently yews don't like to be in much standing water, I only watered it a couple of times.

Alas 3 or 4 weeks back we noticed that it was starting to look pretty bad - especially the higher parts (the sapling is about 2' feet high at guess) were really quite yellow. We did see some newer green buds closer to the center, so we knew it wasn't dead. I decided that it was probably my watering neglect that had caused this. So I've since started really drenching it every 2 or 3 days, if we've had a hot dry spell with no intervening rain. It now seems clear that it is responding positively to this treatment, that is the main parts of the plant are greening up some more and the buds near the stem are getting bigger and more are appearing. However the top 3 or 4 inches (i.e. the leader) are almost certainly beyond help. They've not greened up, in fact it's fair to say that the yellowishness has changed to a more lighter brown (i.e. dead :() colour.

My question is: shall I just cut off this apparently dead couple of inches now or wait a year? I appreciate that it's dead, and I do now have much experience cutting back very aggressively (i.e. with a small chainsaw) other of our established yews in order to shape/remove hard dry dead etc. and to be honest (this is why I really like yew hedging) they are growing back really well. However since this yew has only been in our ground for less than a year, I'm a tad anxious that actually cutting it now might upset this burst of life which we have managed to encourage.

thanks Matt

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Help rescuing a neglected yew sapling

Postby sg31 » June 25th, 2020, 10:55 am

I'm no expert on yews but I would cut off the dead leader incase it dies back further. I'm an advocate of hard pruning as I find it often stimulates further growth.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 25th, 2020, 11:45 am

sg31 wrote:I'm no expert on yews but I would cut off the dead leader incase it dies back further. I'm an advocate of hard pruning as I find it often stimulates further growth.

Thanks, yes, I'm erring toward doing this. I'm cross with myself for neglecting it in spring. The first year or two for saplings can be tough (for all trees/shrubs) when establishing them.

Matt

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 25th, 2020, 11:48 am

I'm no expert on Yew either, so I would refer you to the RHS who should know what they're talking about....

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/yew/growing-guide

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 25th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Breelander wrote:I'm no expert on Yew either, so I would refer you to the RHS who should know what they're talking about....

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/yew/growing-guide

Cheers Bree,

I looked at RHS, but I couldn't anything exactly summarising this particular issue.

I then found this https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/de ... and-hedges which again whilst not providing the perfect answer, it did give me a few ideas. I think that since this is it's first year I'm not going to snip the leader. Something good may happen, yews are a weird shrub, and quite different to others at coming back.

I'm slightly miffed though, since the last time it got water was Tuesday when I watered very heavily, and yesterday and today have proven to be very dry (little mist at dawn) scorchers, so I'm agonising over whether to drench it tonight. I will probably need to dig a couple inches close by to see how moist the surrounding soil is, I think. The ground is a tiny bit raised (for the Fens) and the soil is quite loamy closeby. Which will be fun at 31°C !

Matt

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 25th, 2020, 9:00 pm

We have a fair amount of yew, both mature trees and seedlings. They do shed needles in dry weather, in fact our drive is almost covered with them at the moment. You may just be seeing its natural preservation process. I am looking out at one on our back boundary, which was about 5ft high when we moved in 42 years ago, and which I kept to about 6 feet tall for about 20 years. They the owners of a new bungalow behind us put in a fence, so I let it grow, and is now about 30 ft tall.

On the other hand I had a couple of escallonias give up the ghost simultaneously a couple of months ago. I have another, which is a cutting off the first, which is fine. We do have honey fungus problems, and tend to attribute any sudden deaths to that, but why those two succumbed I do not know.

TJH

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 26th, 2020, 4:42 am

tjh290633 wrote:We have a fair amount of yew, both mature trees and seedlings. They do shed needles in dry weather, in fact our drive is almost covered with them at the moment. You may just be seeing its natural preservation process.

Yes, that's a good point. I'm leaving those top couple of inches of leader for now. I remember the last 3 replacements we planted in (2-3 years back?) gave some worries in their first summer too, but when I re-caned them yesterday (which was murder in that sun), they are now looking really good.

Regards watering our youngest yew, using a trowel yesterday in the area close to it, I only had to go down about 2" or so, to discover some quite cool and damp soil, and given that we have rain headed our way very soon, I decided not to drench it yesterday evening.

Matt

Return to “The Natural World”