Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Boss squirrel

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Boss squirrel

Postby bungeejumper » August 8th, 2020, 9:29 am

The grey squirrels around these rural parts are getting beyond a joke. They seem to have had a population explosion recently - there are probably a dozen within twenty yards of our house. The little bastards have eaten all our early pears, and the only reason they haven't had the maincrops as a dessert course is that I've larded the garden walls with peppermint oil, which they apparently detest. (Seems to be working so far. :) )

I was in for another surprise the other day when I found a dead/mummified squirrel in the garage. It was massive! Fourteen inches to the end of its bushy tail, and a head that was getting on for the size of a tennis ball. Usual squirrel teeth, standard-issue tail, standard-issue feet, and generally no chance of misidentification. I really had no idea that squirrels could get that large? But apparently they can.

Up to 700 grams, according to Mr Google, which is really pretty hefty. Although http://www.squirrels.info/uk/in_uk.htm gives the grey squirrel's average length (including tail) at only 22 centimetres, by which standards mine was about 50% bigger than normal. Sheesh.

We often see the squirrels running along the overhead power lines in our garden, and very agile and athletic they are, too. The aerial walkway saves them a huge amount of time when covering long distances. But I think Mr Big would have needed to borrow Boris's zipwire harness before he attempted a stunt like that. :lol:

RIP, big fella,

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”