Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Awky Duck

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
monabri
Lemon Half

Awky Duck

Postby monabri » January 7th, 2021, 8:20 pm

With the weather so bad at the moment I decided to feed the ducks at a nearby lake. I noticed that one duck had a deformed foot as though it had rotated 180 degrees. The foot curls up behind him when walking or swimming. When he tries to walk on land he stumbles forward, falling onto his chest. It's like trying to walk using the ("knee) joint as a foot to propel himself. It's quite sad to watch. He gets about on water reasonably well and can fly. I just wonder if there is anything a vet might do or is simply a case of letting nature do what nature does to the weak?

Meanwhile, I continue to ensure he gets a (more than ) fair share of pellets.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Awky Duck

Postby bungeejumper » January 8th, 2021, 11:48 am

Birds can get some quite unattractive fungal infections which can do horrible things to their feet. But this sounds more like an injury really - possibly an attack from a pike, which will certainly have a go at a duck - or damage from a bit of fishing line. Is there a park manager who you could contact?

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Awky Duck

Postby monabri » January 8th, 2021, 12:01 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Birds can get some quite unattractive fungal infections which can do horrible things to their feet. But this sounds more like an injury really - possibly an attack from a pike, which will certainly have a go at a duck - or damage from a bit of fishing line. Is there a park manager who you could contact?

BJ

There is but because of Avian bird flu they cannot accept birds into their care ( they told me that the birds in their care had to be culled!)

Return to “The Natural World”