Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Various 5L Glyphosate weedkillers

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Various 5L Glyphosate weedkillers

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Hi folks,

Unfortunately we need to use about 2.5L of this stuff per year, depending on the weather and our various lawn/land clearing projects. It's buying time again and I wondered if anyone has any opinions on the best out of these weedkillers in terms of strength and efficiency.

Firstly
https://www.gardenersdream.co.uk/5l-gal ... ller-p1522

or

https://www.agrigem.co.uk/gallup-biograde-360-5l

as you can see they are both similar in price. However the first one, despite being described as being "super-strength" is actually sold as needing to be mixed as "20ml of weed killer per 1L of water" whereas the second one claims to require "160ml per 10L". In other words the super strength one does not seem to be as strong as the other. Given that, I'm inclined to buy the biograde-360 which is also a couple of quid cheaper and claims to be "non-hazardous".

thanks Matt

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Re: Various 5L Glyphosate weedkillers

Postby doug2500 » July 19th, 2021, 2:20 pm

They're both what I would class as normal strenghth with the same active ingredient.

The reccommended rates for proffessional use are the same and in fact the rates quoted on the label are too, just in the advertising one has gone for the minimum dose and the other an average between min and max (16 & 24)

In reality they are both the same and the min dose will be fine because you'll almost certainly overdose. The mearest whiff will do but most of the time with a knapsack you'll see it running off the leaves.

I'm not sure what biograde is all about, but I'd just buy cheapest / easiest.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » July 19th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Both have very long "product labels" you can download from a link in the description. If you wade through those you will probably work out which contains more Glyphosate by comparing doses reccommended for specific use cases. Perhaps the actual ingredients are listed if you settle down for a long read of them.

If both are Glyphosate, then both are biodegradable eventually.

There is hotly disputed evidence that Glyphosate may or may not be a bit carcinogenic.
There are also papers describing possible harmful effects on bees, butterflies, and people via altering the gut bacteria of exposed people. It's not at all clear to the layman how serious these problems are, if at all.
But anything this toxic to a wide range of organisms (ie plants mainly!) ought only to be used as a last resort I think.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 20th, 2021, 7:49 am

Thanks people, yes I'll just buy the cheapest one I think.

Matt

Return to “The Natural World”