Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

house sparrows v dunnocks

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
didds
Lemon Half

house sparrows v dunnocks

Postby didds » February 8th, 2017, 11:48 am

is there an easy and obvious way to tell them apart?

i google images of both and am still none the wiser as what I think I must be looking at, in one picture is a house sparrow and in the next looks like a dunnock!

didds

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Re: house sparrows v dunnocks

Postby hermit100 » February 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Sparrows have a typical 'finch' sort of beak, i.e. shorter and rounder, whereas dunnocks, being mostly ground feeders, have more pointy beaks.

Likewise if they're on feeders they're likely to be sparrows, on the ground likely to be dunnocks.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » February 8th, 2017, 2:47 pm

As hermit100 says but I'd add that sparrows are noisy, gregarious birds who seem to prefer going around and perching together in a gang and who enjoy a great deal of squabbling with their 'friends'. Dunnocks in contrast seem quiet little birds who tend to go about their business by themselves, you might have several dunnocks feeding on the ground in your garden but they won't be flocking together in the way sparrows do and they won't be so noticeable by the noise they produce. The behaviour difference is a good first step to identification.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » February 8th, 2017, 3:21 pm

I think they are pretty easy to tell apart in the flesh, or the feather. Besides the behavioral differences the Dunnock is stockier, has a distinctly different colouration (greyish) to its head and neck. It also has a thinner beak, but that's probably only obvious when seen side by side. Can I recommend these BTO videos for general bird ID, not sure if the Dunnock is listed but it could well be. https://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id

MM

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 14th, 2017, 8:38 pm

hermit100 wrote:Sparrows have a typical 'finch' sort of beak, i.e. shorter and rounder, whereas dunnocks, being mostly ground feeders, have more pointy beaks.

Likewise if they're on feeders they're likely to be sparrows, on the ground likely to be dunnocks.

===========================

one of our dunnocks has learned to access the the peanut feeder , they have observed bits falling down from them and taken the next step .

normally they feed on the ground alone or in a pair .

the legs are a brighter orange than a sparrows.

a nice refined little bird, that also sings .

:)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 17th, 2017, 11:13 am

hermit100 wrote:Sparrows have a typical 'finch' sort of beak, i.e. shorter and rounder, whereas dunnocks, being mostly ground feeders, have more pointy beaks.

Can't agree about on the ground not being sparrows as ours seem to spend time on the feeders and on the ground.

But, the sparrow has a bolder stance on the ground, while the dunnock seems to cower more. Compare the pictures at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/d/dunnock/ to see what I mean.

Also sparrows are noisier

Slarti

Return to “The Natural World”