Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hedgepig!

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Hedgepig!

Postby MonsterMork » September 30th, 2021, 7:36 pm

The garden here at Mork Towers has a Hedgepig! First sighted a few weeks back said spikey wee thing now has a freshly made (by mine own fair hand) safe feeding box, stocked with proper pig dry food and wet cat food (no fishy flavours, meat only), and an outdoors water bowl. I have a wildlife camera on the way so I shall soon have piccies and video :D

Obviously during summer time having a train of cute ickle hoglets following would suggest we are of the gurl persuasion, but at this time of year the babies will be off on their own journies so Hedgepig will be roaming alone and therefore potentially gender unidentifiable.

Question is, without staying up all night and then picking them up to have a look see (which I am loathe to do, it may distress them), is there any way of telling whether we are a boy pig or girl pig from the pictures? Well, it is rude to ask! :oops:

MM

oh, if any veterinary assistance is required it ain't a problem, my landlord is the former owner of the local vet's (which also happens to be ten feet away from my back door across our shared driveway and car park!)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Hedgepig!

Postby bungeejumper » October 1st, 2021, 6:22 pm

It's all here: https://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/sexing.php
In male hedgehogs the penile sheath is located about halfway up the tummy and looks like a large belly-button.

In females the sex organ is directly adjacent to the anus. Both sexes have a row of nipples along each side within the tummy fur.

In babies, it can be difficult to tell sexes apart due to the small size. Little boy's bits start off in the same place as little girl's bits and slowly move towards the chin as they grow.

Good luck with that one. Sounds like you'll need a magnifying glass, a pair of old-style hide gauntlets, and a good sense of humour.

I've heard it said that this year's hedgehogs need to reach 600 grammes in weight if they're to survive the winter. Maybe so, but we've known them to wake up during warmer winter weather for a quick snackerooni before they go back into hibernation. That said, this year has been the first in ages that we've had them in the garden at Bungee Towers. It may be that the local badger cull has improved their survival chances. There ain't no environmentally easy answers, it seems. :|

BJ

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: Hedgepig!

Postby MonsterMork » October 2nd, 2021, 6:00 pm

Thanks Bungee, very helpful. After reviewing the first night's footage I reckon we have a boy pig :D

MM

Return to “The Natural World”