Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Asian hornets found again

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Asian hornets found again

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 29th, 2022, 6:14 pm

It seems to be a matter of time before the Asian hornet becomes naturalised in the UK, reports today state that AHs have been found in the UK again. There will come a point when an AH colony or two remains undetected and the the following year there will be no going back. This is a nightmare for beekeepers:

The hornets raid honeybee hives by sitting outside them and capturing workers as they go in and out,” says Natural History Museum expert Gavin Broad.

“They chop them up and feed the thorax to their young.”

Asian hornets were introduced to France by accident in 2004, probably in a shipment of goods from east Asia. It has consumed large numbers of bees in France, including the European honeybee and lesser-known solitary and colonial bee species, according to the RSPB.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/asian-hornet-uk-bees-insects-b2177217.html

I love honeybees and kept them for quite a few years, a sample of my and my beekeeping partner's honey won 1st prize in the Bristol Flower Show many years ago, we also won 1st prize for a capped frame of honey. But I was lucky and kept bees just before the Varroa Destructor mite became a major problem and it was mostly possible to avoid treating bees with some sort of medication. The AH threatens to become a huge problem for honeybees, beekeepers and also other bees, although not as far as I know Bumble Bees, which is just as well since the UK has lost quite a few species in the last few years.

RC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Asian hornets found again

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 6th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Basketball-sized Asian hornet nest in Essex back garden taken for government lab tests.

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/asian-hornets-nest-essex-lab-tests-b2196325.html

RC

Return to “The Natural World”