Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Weather warings

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Weather warings

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2022, 10:19 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:Why does it need to be a warning? Why can't they just say there's a chance of snow? It's as if we can't connect the dots between the weather and the consequences of the weather so need to have it spelled out for us.

I can connect the dots as well as anyone else. But if I want to convince my employer that I'd be better off not trying to battle my way into work in view of the incoming wall of snow, then I suppose an "official" public warning might serve a purpose? Both for me and for anyone else who might be putting themselves in harm's way? ;)

Not in every instance, of course. That's where reading the runes for yourself is important. But there are analogies with the foreign travel warnings that strongly advise you not to go to some country or other for current safety reasons. At he very least, it means you've got something to back you up if you're pressured to try it and it all goes wrong. :D

BJ

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » December 14th, 2022, 10:49 am

The other irritating one is 'feels like' such and such a temperature cos of the wind. No, the temperature is what it is and what it feels like will depend on whether, and how many, clothes you have on.

I'm out today but will be wearing thermals and several layers with hand warmers in each pocket. So it will feel like 20oC :D

BoE

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 14th, 2022, 10:57 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:The other irritating one is 'feels like' such and such a temperature cos of the wind. No, the temperature is what it is and what it feels like will depend on whether, and how many, clothes you have on.

I'm out today but will be wearing thermals and several layers with hand warmers in each pocket. So it will feel like 20oC :D

BoE

One might think that, and "feels like" is a horrendous term, but "apparent temperature" is a pretty well defined concept that is really useful in many circumstances - it just suffers from being a bit badly named

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » December 14th, 2022, 11:14 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:In my part of Kent there were BBC weather service warnings of snow for late Sunday evening and Sunday night.

Why does it need to be a warning? Why can't they just say there's a chance of snow? It's as if we can't connect the dots between the weather and the consequences of the weather so need to have it spelled out for us.

Amber warning, the ground could be slippery because of outbreaks of light drizzle. Tread carefully and stay indoors if unsure.

BoE

99% of weather in Britain is not life threatening. OK people are pretty silly going near the cliff edge when it is windy, or when big waves are crashing, but they still do it. The risks are very visible.

The 1% risk is when it is cold and icy and snowy, because it comes relatively rarely and people just do not recogniose the risks. Most of us have the sense not to walk out onto frozen ponds in the UK, even though we see film of people doing so in eastern Europe and Scandinavia doing just that. So we have to warn our youngsters that it is not a good idea, even though it looks safe.

Likewise with snowstorms which now seem to affect southern and central Britain only about every ten years. People continue their daily lives through the winter, never imagining they could be stuck on a snow bound road, maybe not even their own fault, but in a traffic jam. They could be stuck overnight, which for children and adults with medical conditions really could be life threatening. British snow can fall and accumulate unexpectedly, and is a danger, and therefore warnings are justified.

Return to “The Natural World”