Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

to much worryness about the amazon region

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
look
2 Lemon pips

to much worryness about the amazon region

Postby look » March 13th, 2023, 12:36 am

Moderator Message:
Topic moved here from LOOTP

the area of the amazon region is 4.19 million km2. the area of all oceans is 331 million km2, nearly 80 times bigger.

So, the oceans are very more important for the climate than the amazon region.

For Europe, the Saara deseet has more influence than the amazon region.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: to much worryness about the amazon region

Postby servodude » March 13th, 2023, 12:45 am

look wrote:the area of the amazon region is 4.19 million km2. the area of all oceans is 331 million km2, nearly 80 times bigger.

Not disputing your numbers
But there's not many trees growing in the ocean
- and I think the false equivalence you seek to portray might be a very big part of the problem

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 13th, 2023, 6:18 am

From ChatGPT
We should be worried about the Amazon rainforest, which is facing multiple threats that could have serious consequences for both the region and the planet as a whole.

Deforestation is one of the biggest concerns for the Amazon rainforest. The trees of the Amazon play a crucial role in regulating the global climate by absorbing carbon dioxide and producing oxygen. Deforestation, which is often caused by logging, agriculture, mining, and infrastructure development, releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and destroys habitats for wildlife, including many endangered species.

Another major concern for the Amazon is climate change. As the planet warms, the Amazon is likely to experience more frequent and severe droughts, which could lead to widespread tree deaths and further deforestation. In addition, rising temperatures could alter the timing and amount of rainfall in the region, affecting the water supply for millions of people who depend on the Amazon basin for drinking water and agriculture.

The Amazon also faces other threats, such as wildfires, pollution, and illegal wildlife trafficking. These issues can have far-reaching impacts on the environment, economy, and people of the region.

Therefore, it is crucial that we take action to protect the Amazon rainforest and address these threats. This includes supporting sustainable land use practices, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, promoting conservation efforts, and cracking down on illegal activities.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » March 13th, 2023, 5:25 pm

servodude wrote:
look wrote:the area of the amazon region is 4.19 million km2. the area of all oceans is 331 million km2, nearly 80 times bigger.

- and I think the false equivalence you seek to portray might be a very big part of the problem

there is an intense brainwash in the midia.
you think 1 km2 in the amaozn region produces more oxygen than 1 km2 in the ocean. i don't know exact numbers, but i don't see any motive to think so. in the amazon region in ppart of the year, a drought is normal, in the ocean in the last years there was no droght. I don't agree about FALSE equivalence.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 13th, 2023, 9:29 pm

look wrote:
servodude wrote:

you think 1 km2 in the amaozn region produces more oxygen than 1 km2 in the ocean. i don't know exact numbers, but i don't see any motive to think so. in the amazon region in ppart of the year, a drought is normal, in the ocean in the last years there was no droght. I don't agree about FALSE equivalence.

Great. You've got the idea of area understood.
Now you should look up: photosynthesis and perhaps the difference between a tree and a sea?

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » March 13th, 2023, 9:49 pm

look wrote:[

What does oxygen production have to do with global warming and climate change? Isn't it more about CO2 absorption?
doolally

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 13th, 2023, 9:57 pm

The corrupt government of Brazil is trying to blackmail the rest of the world into paying them to not flatten their forests, even though we did the exact same thing here.

Call their bluff and pay nothing. Global warming will probably kill it off anyway. But we can build new woodland in Siberia, Lapland and the Yukon. The Steppes and the tundra are the new tropics. :D

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » March 14th, 2023, 12:31 am

doolally wrote:
look wrote:[

What does oxygen production have to do with global warming and climate change? Isn't it more about CO2 absorption?
doolally

the plants and algae catch the co2 and use the carbon (C) atom to bluild their body and liberaates the oxygen, so they get rid of co2.

otherwise, i think that the people should give mor attention for what happens in the ocean, their are the real main supply of oxigen .

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » March 14th, 2023, 12:36 am

servodude wrote:
look wrote:
servodude wrote:

Now you should look up: photosynthesis and perhaps the difference between a tree and a sea?

algae are more efficient in photosyntesis than trees. The oceans are full of algae.

why the oceans don't receive the same attention from the midia than the amazon regions, despite that they are far more important? In part because of hidden interests.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 14th, 2023, 12:58 am

look wrote:
servodude wrote:
look wrote:
servodude wrote:

algae are more efficient in photosyntesis than trees. The oceans are full of algae.

why the oceans don't receive the same attention from the midia than the amazon regions, despite that they are far more important? In part because of hidden interests.

no - if someone were seeking to erradicate the algae for profit you can be pretty sure of it getting attention
as of presently they are not doing this but if they start to do this expect some noise (there are plenty of other issues going on in the oceans that attract a decent amount of backlash where they happen)

Attempting to use the ocean ecosystem to offset the carbon release, destruction of CO2 capturing plants and habitat removal under way in forrested parts of the globe (not just round the Amazon) is disingenious

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » March 14th, 2023, 3:49 am

Servodude, you wrote

"Attempting to use the ocean ecosystem to offset the carbon release, destruction of CO2 capturing plants and habitat removal under way in forrested parts of the globe (not just round the Amazon) is disingenious"

I think the ocean habitat is at risk. Because you don't thin the same, you isunderstand my ideas. I don't think that something must be made in the oceans to compensate any reductions of forest, my take is that the oceans should be conserved good for life.

everytime there is more garbage and poisons in the oceans. Plastic caused torture and death for animals. In the far east sometimes there is so much garbage that create difiuulties for the ships.

20 years ago i bought a shirt with a message in french: Danger! la planete bleu. Pas de vie sans la mer.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 14th, 2023, 4:00 am

look wrote:Servodude, you wrote

"Attempting to use the ocean ecosystem to offset the carbon release, destruction of CO2 capturing plants and habitat removal under way in forrested parts of the globe (not just round the Amazon) is disingenious"

I think the ocean habitat is at risk. Because you don't thin the same, you isunderstand my ideas. I don't think that something must be made in the oceans to compensate any reductions of forest, my take is that the oceans should be conserved good for life.

everytime there is more garbage and poisons in the oceans. Plastic caused torture and death for animals. In the far east sometimes there is so much garbage that create difiuulties for the ships.

20 years ago i bought a shirt with a message in french: Danger! la planete bleu. Pas de vie sans la mer.

You wrote in your original post:

The point is that the existence of the oceans does not excuse, nor compensate for the destruction of the rainforest.
They are different parts of the planet - different ecosystems - with different parts to play in the balance of how this world works.

To look at the deforestation currently going on and say "well we've got the oceans" is at best a distraction

-sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 14th, 2023, 8:07 am

Land-based ecosystems such as grasslands and forests, aquatic ecosystems such as rivers and wetlands, and coastal and marine ecosystems such as mangroves and sea-grass meadows are all important and need protection from destruction.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » July 26th, 2023, 9:52 pm

the press is saying that it is very hot in Europe in the last weeks. But from where come these hot winds?

according my information, the hot winds of the indic ocean go from east to least, they go to the african continent, go over the saara desert, after passing the afrcian continent some go to europe and some cross the atlantic and affect the caribean region in the american continent.

so, the hot winds in the european continenets come from the saara desert.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » July 26th, 2023, 9:54 pm

ops, from east to west.

Return to “The Natural World”